Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Female Engineer

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 TrainLoverJoy

TrainLoverJoy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm on the Eagle and yesterday while stopped at St. Louis, stopped on the track next to us was the Lincoln. And much to my surprise the most unlikely person I could imagine was climbing up the side of the engine.....a gray-haired grandmotherly type was the Engineer! Good for her!! I'm wondering how many female Engineers work for Amtrak....probably not enough....but I'm sure she must be the oldest.

#2 roadman3313

roadman3313

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

There are a few out on the West Coast who work the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin routes as far as I have seen. Unless I've seen the same few they seem to be fairly common (meaning more than one here or there). Can't say they are gray-haired and grandmotherly though! Historically it has been more of a male dominated profession, however if you can do the job safely and meet the requirements, male or female, have at it!

#3 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Interests:trains baseball hockey

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Next thing you know they are flying planes!

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

There are a couple of female engineers that work SAS-AUS/ SAS-DLR on the Texas Eagle/ Sunset Ltd.Routes!

Edited by jimhudson, 20 September 2014 - 01:05 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

We have had female engineers on the Southwest Chief and on the Pennsylvanian.  No reason why there shouldn't be more.

Must be why my old job as Flagman is now called Flagger :P

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'm on the Eagle and yesterday while stopped at St. Louis, stopped on the track next to us was the Lincoln. And much to my surprise the most unlikely person I could imagine was climbing up the side of the engine.....a gray-haired grandmotherly type was the Engineer! Good for her!! I'm wondering how many female Engineers work for Amtrak....probably not enough....but I'm sure she must be the oldest.

Currently there are a lot more female engineers than 30 years ago but there were some who started back then who are still working. So the one you saw may be among the oldest but may not be the oldest female engineer still working. I know one on the NEC who is a great grandmother. i would not say she was the grandmotherly type though.......

#7 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

There are a few in Southern California on Metrolink, Pacific Surfliner and the Coast Starlight.

At the moment, the Metrolink operating crews are Amtrak.

Edited by FrensicPic, 20 September 2014 - 01:40 PM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#8 RTE_TrainGuy

RTE_TrainGuy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Are there mandatory retirement ages for engineers? Like there are for pilots?

#9 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Theres at least 1 on the wolverine route.

<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.avsforum....713'>MY</a>hometheater</a>

#10 Guest_HAL_*

Guest_HAL_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

There is no mandatory retirement age for engineers.

#11 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Interests:trains baseball hockey

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

There should be. Same for elderlys driving.

#12 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Define "elderly." Age? Once size (age) fits all?

#13 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

It should be dependent upon ability, not age. I know a few 70-year olds who drive much better than some 25-year olds. Age is not always indicative of skill.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#14 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

I know at least 2 on the NEC. I actually had a cab ride with one of them. Another I saw on a Thanksgiving Sunday. Female railroaders are hard to find in this day and age, more so Engineers and Freight Conductors and Engineers. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#15 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Airline pilots have a mandatory retirement age, so why not engineers? Problem in America is that "ABILITY" is generally defined as until someone gets into a wreak and kills or hurt LOTS of people. 

#16 Guest_Henry Kisor_*

Guest_Henry Kisor_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

I saw a female engineer on the Zephyr at a crew change in Grand Junction away back in 2000 or so. About the same time I saw a female hostler bringing the Skeena into the VIA station at Jasper. Half the conductors on Amtrak seem to be female these days. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. 

:giggle:

#17 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

There is one that works the RVR-WAS route.  I've seen a few female Conductors/Asst Conductors on the NEC.  

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#18 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

There are plenty of Female conductors who run Amtrak trains. (No not run the train as in Engineer.. Conductors are in charge!) There aren't as many Female Freight Conductors.. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#19 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Define "elderly." Age? Once size (age) fits all?

It should be dependent upon ability, not age. I know a few 70-year olds who drive much better than some 25-year olds. Age is not always indicative of skill.

Mandatory bi-annual testing starting at age X. Pilots, drivers and engineers. If you can still do it, have at it. If not, sorry, time to move along.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#20 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

Operating a locomotive today, does not require the kind of strength it required in the steam locomotive days, so there is no reason why a female engineer should be even considered as an unusual profession.  

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users