Train/truck collision near Paso Robles (9/17/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Big rig collides with Amtrak train in San Ardo

A big rig carrying a load of potatoes collided with an Amtrak train in San Ardo Wednesday afternoon....

According to the Monterey County Sheriff's office, the driver of the truck started to cross the tracks on private property just before 1 p.m. at Sergeant Canyon and Dead Man's Gulch roads.

The driver didn't notice the train coming, The train engineer told deputies he tried to stop and was able to decrease speed from 50 to 35 miles per hour, but couldn't come to a full stop in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
That moron truck driver is lucky that Dead Man's Gulch wasn't named for him! Old time professional truck drivers are rolling in their graves!

Looks like the P-42 will need to hit the shop for a new nose, hopefully nothing more serious!

At least nobody died or was seriously injured! Hope the rest of the Amtrak equipment and engineer are OK and Amtrak's lawyers are on the ball so as to collect damages!!

Private at grade railroad crossing.

Fast moving passenger train.

One thinks only a cross buck sign at this location.

Does look like a over the road truck vs Farm truck. Farm truck are exempt from Hour of service, age of driver, and most training requirements. So yes this guy should of done better.

However several facts are missing before we tar and feather the driver. Sight lines and timing. It take about 18 seconds for a truck to get clear of a highway intersection. When could he see a train travel at speed? Was there time to react? Story stated he try to pull forward, was there traffic behind him? Did he have crops, building, or signs blocking his view?

Perception time: 1.5 seconds

Reaction time 1.0 seconds

Time for a truck at a stop to clear a intersection about 18 seconds.

Not much room for mistakes.

Of course the "I did not see the train" is a bad sign in itself.

This crossing was protected by a highway stop sign, as shown in Ryan's Google Streetview above. This is very common for private crossings. The statement that the driver saw the train too late to stop indicates that the he ran the stop sign. In addition, there are multiple warning signs posted on both sides of the crossing (in both english and spanish). Note that trains typically do not sound the horn for private crossings.

The terms of private crossing permits almost always (if not always) require the entity requesting the crossing to assume all liability for accidents, and most likely also requires railroad protective liability insurance of a specified (very high) amount. I suspect that Amtrak (through Union Pacific) will be made whole for any damages.

Several facts are missing before we tar and feather the driver. Sight lines and timing. It take about 18 seconds for a truck to get clear of a highway intersection. When could he see a train travel at speed? Was there time to react? Story stated he try to pull forward, was there traffic behind him? Did he have crops, building, or signs blocking his view?
Those sound like several important factors to consider before fouling the right of way. So far as I am aware that's the truck driver's responsibility. I can't imagine who else would be responsible. If it's not safe to cross then maybe the truck shouldn't be entering the danger zone in the first place. I mean am I really expecting too much here? Where I live crossings have phone numbers to call if they're observed to be malfunctioning or otherwise unsafe for use. Isn't that the case everywhere? So call the number and see what can be done before you risk everything. Seems pretty simple to me.

Note that trains typically do not sound the horn for private crossings. The terms of private crossing permits almost always (if not always) require the entity requesting the crossing to assume all liability for accidents, and most likely also requires railroad protective liability insurance of a specified (very high) amount. I suspect that Amtrak (through Union Pacific) will be made whole for any damages.
Where I live private crossings always get horns and often have lights and even gates as well. We do have several silent crossings but those are all public.

The train always wins
Considering that the train experiences physical damage, the passengers experience extended delays, the railroad experiences financial loss, and the staff experience increased stress I'm not sure I'd call it "winning." If anything I'd say the train always loses.

Well I have a old Duvet for the feather anyone have some tar?

Only two problem with Ryan's street view pic. It hard to pick any detail out of the background, and sunshine might of been a issue.

But that red sign with letters STOP both sides of the tracks is a good reason for some tar and feathers.

I still can understand what the driver could of been thinking and how he went wrong. Just as I can see how easy that this could of been prevent, and how easy it could happen again.

Crack windows open both sides. (Allow sounds of train horn into the cab.)

Check tracks for trains before you focus on checking the road for cars.

Full and complete Stop several feet off the Stop signs. (Driver may of feel he was too close and would be hit. So he moved forward after he spotted the train.)[several recent at grade events were credit to this].

Well I have a old Duvet for the feather anyone have some tar?

Only two problem with Ryan's street view pic. It hard to pick any detail out of the background, and sunshine might of been a issue.
You can do a full 360 degree view from multiple locations using Street View in Google Earth for the location. It is obvious that trees and shrubbery nor hilly/uneven terrain are not an issue in obstructing the view down the tracks in either direction. The crossing has a long clear line of sight in both directions. I suspect that the driver did not stop at the crossing, but just drove right through it. If he saw the train at all, he may have assumed it was a slow moving freight train and drove through figuring to beat the train.

Except that the freights in this area are not slow moving, either. The railroad is near flat so the freights can achieve and maintain the speed limit, which is, I think 60 mph, but that is without looking it up.

Forget about the train for a moment - why would a truck be going 50 MPH just before making a 90-degree turn? Either turning into the tracks or turning onto Sargent Canyon Rd - regardless of the stop signs - the truck would HAVE to slow to turn.

It's certainly not like the 45-degree or so crossing that John Davis Trucking ran into the CZ on.

Something isn't smelling right here.

Forget about the train for a moment - why would a truck be going 50 MPH just before making a 90-degree turn? Either turning into the tracks or turning onto Sargent Canyon Rd - regardless of the stop signs - the truck would HAVE to slow to turn.
Where do you get that the truck was going 50 mph? The only speed reported in the original news report was that the train was going 50 mph and braked to 35 mph before hitting the truck.

Yep.

Big rig collides with Amtrak train in San Ardo

A big rig carrying a load of potatoes collided with an Amtrak train in San Ardo Wednesday afternoon....

According to the Monterey County Sheriff's office, the driver of the truck started to cross the tracks on private property just before 1 p.m. at Sergeant Canyon and Dead Man's Gulch roads.

The driver didn't notice the train coming, The train engineer told deputies he tried to stop and was able to decrease speed from 50 to 35 miles per hour, but couldn't come to a full stop in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back