Orie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Foreign Policy, Photography, Hockey

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hi all,

I have a day off from work next week and I decided it would be nice to visit somewhere new, so I booked a one day round trip on the Acela (using my new Amtrak card with double days, if I'm doing the math right, I'll get 4,000 points out of the Acela vs ~500 for the NER). I do intend to go back for longer than just seven hours sometime, but for the purposes of spending a single day day off on the rails, I had a few questions. 

Biggest question: Does anyone have some good ideas for what to do in such a short time span? I have seven hours, from 10am (if we arrive on schedule) until 5pm. I'm really open to anything, I'm just looking for tips on the best way to fit the most into such a short time period. I love museums, history, or just visiting landmarks. Whatever works!

Secondly: Is the Boston subway safe for the most part? Any areas to avoid on it? That's how I intend to get around for the most part. I've lived in NYC for 20 years so I'm not someone who gets scared of Subway systems without cause, but I also know there are some mass transit systems in this country to avoid. 

I also noticed there isn't one of these threads for Boston either, so if anyone has any general info they want to share for someone in the future that may be taking a longer trip, feel free to!

Thanks a lot!

Amtrak Routes Ridden: Northeast Regional (13), Acela Express (9), Capitol Limited (4), Palmetto (2), Lakeshore Limited (2), City of New Orleans (1), Crescent (1), Adirondack (1), Maple Leaf (1) = 12,299 miles

Upcoming Planned Routes: Vermonter, Cardinal

Non Amtrak Routes Ridden: Frecciarosa HSR - Italy (8), Via Corridor (1)

#2 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

My suggestion is go to the "T" Ticket office and buy a One Day Pass. I do it once a year and ride the subway/trolley system. Which is very safe. I will take train 66 then buy a one day pass and ride as much of the system as I can. I've managed to get all four major routes ridden in a day. Not acing the system in a day. But last time I did it I was on the 430 Acela. Which at the time was the last Acela set that would go south of NYP. What I did that day was a lot of riding.. I ended up riding the Green Lines "C" line to Cleveland Circle and walked the half mile or so to the Reservoir Station on the "D" line and rode that back into the city. Their is plenty to do!  

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#3 Orie

Orie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Foreign Policy, Photography, Hockey

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

My suggestion is go to the "T" Ticket office and buy a One Day Pass. I do it once a year and ride the subway/trolley system. Which is very safe. I will take train 66 then buy a one day pass and ride as much of the system as I can. I've managed to get all four major routes ridden in a day. Not acing the system in a day. But last time I did it I was on the 430 Acela. Which at the time was the last Acela set that would go south of NYP. What I did that day was a lot of riding.. I ended up riding the Green Lines "C" line to Cleveland Circle and walked the half mile or so to the Reservoir Station on the "D" line and rode that back into the city. Their is plenty to do!  

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time on the subway.

Amtrak Routes Ridden: Northeast Regional (13), Acela Express (9), Capitol Limited (4), Palmetto (2), Lakeshore Limited (2), City of New Orleans (1), Crescent (1), Adirondack (1), Maple Leaf (1) = 12,299 miles

Upcoming Planned Routes: Vermonter, Cardinal

Non Amtrak Routes Ridden: Frecciarosa HSR - Italy (8), Via Corridor (1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users