Greyhound Publishes New (Inaccurate) Route Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
A few months ago I had e-mailed Greyhound, asking them to make an accurate route map of their own routes. They just updated their website, lo and behold, including a new PDF route map.

But they messed up again.

It's INACCURATE!

See this: http://www.greyhound.com/App_Themes/Marketing/Images/FareFinder_Express1_20140911_174524_RouteMapPDF.pdf.

Now what's inaccurate?

Well, five things I've spotted so far:

The Chicago-Omaha was cancelled back in December 2012

The Denver-Salt Lake City via Grand Junction was cancelled and moved to go through Craig along US 40.

They left out the Chattanooga-Birmingham connector, which uses a cutaway.

They left out the Lubbock-Abilene segment.

They put Denver-Cheyenne as an independent "branch" route but it actually is part of Denver-Portland.

The two biggest errors so far are obviously the Grand Junction-Salt Lake City and the Chicago-Omaha.

See any more errors? Please tell me, because I'm going to e-mail Greyhound again to tell them about this. At least Greyhound responds to my e-mails.

One error that I noticed is that Ottumwa should be in Iowa, not Missouri.

EDIT: Not to mention, it's misspelled on the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, that's right!

Four more errors I found:

Shows Alamogordo-El Paso, but that route doesn't exist.

Shows Los Angeles-Mojave-Las Vegas, cut back to Palmdale already.

Fails to show Little rock-Jonesboro-West Memphis Connector.

Fails to show Abilene-Lubbock.

It's a start... but I agree it needs work.

My biggest complaint? It needs timetable numbers. I don't have them all memorized, so it helps to reference this map first.

It's a start... but I agree it needs work.

My biggest complaint? It needs timetable numbers. I don't have them all memorized, so it helps to reference this map first.
Agreed!

In the old Russell's Guide's, they used to have a more or less geographically correct system map, along with a separate set of schematic timetable index maps.

I am also curious about the red dots indicating state capital's....why Minneapolis instead of St. Paul? Or Philadelphia instead of Harrisburg? Or leaving out Santa Fe?

Maybe some more....I wonder who they picked to produce this map? Seems very amateurish......

Capital of Maryland is Annapolis, not Baltimore as shown on their map.
Wow, and Annapolis is spelled wrong, and they should have gotten it right since Greyhound goes to Annapolis.

All right, ten things on the list to fix.

First of all, they better stop tricking passengers with that faux Chicago-Omaha route.

Interesting on the service into Cheyenne....when they first dropped the service on I-80 across Nebraska a few years ago, there was no East-West service thru there...only North-South by TNM&O and Powder River...

The Denver to Salt Lake City trips ran I-25 up to Fort Collins, and then took the 'cut-off' via US 287 direct to Laramie, and then I-80 on west. Interesting that they are now running from Fort Collins up to Cheyenne on I-25, and then going west on I-80. A better, albeit slightly longer route, that serves the state capital.

One thing that I wonder about is if they are running that with no driver change.....awfully close on the driving hour limit, that way.......

I know 10 hours is the limit, but that Wyoming route is now 10.5 hours, so they might want to start using the cutoff again or restart the Grand Junction-SLC route.

They don't include the Southeastern stages network which is bookable through Greyhound and runs principally east of Atlanta along the I-20 corridor into South and North Carolina.

I know 10 hours is the limit, but that Wyoming route is now 10.5 hours, so they might want to start using the cutoff again or restart the Grand Junction-SLC route.
If you deduct the time spent at the rest stops, together they would add up to sixty minutes....so it is within the 10 hour driving limit, but just barely....

They don't include the Southeastern stages network which is bookable through Greyhound and runs principally east of Atlanta along the I-20 corridor into South and North Carolina.
They shouldn't do that, Southeastern Stages is not Greyhound. They don't want people to think Southeastern Stages is Greyhound. Just like how Jefferson, Burlington, Black Hills, and Salt Lake Express cover massive Greyhound gaps in the West but aren't shown on the map.

If Greyhound was to do that, they might as well include BoltBus which is at least registered under Greyhound's name.

I've been looking around the internet for ages for a decent map that shows the whole network. I have previously encountered their map on the extranet which is a start but quite out of date. I guess in a weird way if you combine that with this map you almost get something which is useable. at least as a company it appears they are doing something to improve in this aspect. how long until we have live bus tracking and live station departure boards? ;)

Really? November 31st? Well, that's good if it's true. Greyhound already has live GPS bus tracking through a system called CADEC, it's just not available to the public. Only Greyhound dispatchers can see it. CADEC is on every Greyhound motorcoach and it tracks location, speed, heading, and engine RPM.

Here's more info on that system: http://www.cadec.com/.

Greyhound also has something called DriveCam which is installed on the right front windshield of every unit. DriveCam videotapes both in front (like a dashcam) and inside down the aisle of the motorcoach. It also tracks speed. More info here: http://www.lytx.com/.

And lastly, there's always the DOT-mandated "black boxes" that track speeding. Drivers are wary of not getting disciplined once they get to their destination after being caught speeding by that, which sends messages to the DOT.

Yeah, the maps really suck. I sent an e-mail to Greyhound two days ago and they quickly replied saying they would fix it. So at least I was heard.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask, I'll try to help if I can.

At least the map gives some sort of visual representation of the routes. If you are planning a trip across the states like I am it comes in very useful in comparison to my original tactic of typing in my 'from' destination and then dozens of random 'to' destinations in a hope that i can figure out where I can go from the original desination. Even megabus have a map view where you can see all possible destinations from your starting point.

On that note, I do really like the AIBRA map, even though I have read that it's not entirely accurate and the fact it is hurtful on the eyes. It's a shame that there are not more publicly available maps of countrywide public transport in the US. It would surely make the customers life a lot easier and promote the services

Well, I e-mailed Greyhound on the issue and they said they would fix it. That's all I can say on that issue.

If you want, you can tell me a city and I can list out all the routes from that city. There's really not that many routes from each city. Where do you want to go?

I've pretty much got it sorted now, i've been working on it a while, but thanks for the offer, there may well be help that I still need so i'll let you know if so

Back