Sept/Oct 2015 trip planning!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Have been planning and researching in preparation for booking our trip to America Sept/Oct 2015. We have saved up the required amount and now it is just a case of waiting until things become available to book for our dates.
Our plan is to fly to Chicago on the Friday and then take the CZ on the Sunday to San Francisco.
Our time in Chicago although short will be spent sightseeing The Cloud gate, Lincoln Zoo by bus and maybe the Sky deck.

I have read lots about booking and would ask if you all would be so kind as to read through and check I have absorbed the correct info as I don't want to make any mistakes that I could have avoided!

We will be booking a Roomette and I am going to do it by phone as I have read this is the best way to request an upstairs Roomette. Is the option to print ticket at home a good option? If booking by phone will they email me my ticket?

We will be booking from Chi to the SF Ferry Building as we want to check our large suitcases and just have our carry on bags on board with us.

I have chosen a hotel in the Loop for the Friday and Saturday nights, my plan for Sunday is to check out of the hotel early and head for CUS to check our suitcases in to SF, then head for Breakfast at Lou Mitchells, then a little more exploring plus collecting some snacks and Diet Coke for the trip.

How early can we check our large luggage for the baggage car? We may also check our carry ons in the lounge for the morning to be unburdened for the last bit of sightseeing.

For lunch we want to sample a Chicago dog if we have not already done so and so we plan to return to the station and use Gold Coast Dogs, then wait in the Metropolitan lounge for the train.

We will then visit SF, Monterey, Big Sur, Las Vegas and then fly home from LAS :)

Thank you for reading and please let me know if there are any glaring mistakes. I know it is a year away but I can't wait and it will seem more real when something is booked!

Hello,

Your trip sounds wonderful. You will enjoy the link between Chicago and San Francisco much more

on the California Zephyr than flying. We have made the trip several times from New York to SFC as

we have a daughter living in San Francisco.

By calling Amtrak to make your reservation, you can request an upper level roomette. Your reservation

and e-ticket will be emailed to you. You are wise to check your luggage as there is very little space to

store you bags in a roomette. You can check your luggage all the way to SFC, but you may be asked

to identify and take your bags from the luggage cart at the Emeryville station to the Ambus. It is a short

distance.

You can check your luggage early (or the day before) at the Chicago station. You can also go to the

Metro Lounge early and day check your carry-on bags in the lounge, then collect them before boarding

the train. The Metro lounge permits guests to bring their food into the lounge, so you may want to

consider bringing your Gold Coast Hot Dogs into the lounge and eat them there.

One of the more scenic parts of the CZ leg is traveling through the Rocky Mountains and then the

Sierra Nevada Mountains. Both are spectacular!!

Enjoy your trip and let us know if you have any more questions.

Sounds like an awesome trip! Regarding the tickets, Chicago has quite a bit of self serve ticket kisosks. If you forget a ticket, you can always just slide the credit card you used into one of those (or type in the reservation number) and it will print you up a brand new copy. That works when you buy online, not sure about when you buy by calling.

Some may say it's too touristy, but we love Portello's (sp?) for the hot dog. Do the sky deck if you must but we also 'always' enjoy the architectural boat tour. While you're at the Chicago station make sure you visit the "Untouchables" stairway.

Help me members! Other movies shot at the station??!!

ENJOY!!

Oh, also, if you have time, stop by Due's for their deep dish pizza! Best in the city. The folks that started Due's were part of the family that started the nationwide chain, Uno's. Due's is across the street from the first Uno's. Although from what I understand, the same corporation now owns them both again. But for some reason, Due's is still superior deep dish pizza (dont know why). And, I can backup AmtrakPDX's Portello's recommendation! Great hot dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the replies and help.

This is the third trip to America I have planned, the last two being to NYC, Autumn and Christmas. We went on a train last time from Grand Central to Tarrytown but that was just a small trip, I am so excited about this train trip. Also looking forward to seeing some Sea Otters :blush:

I know it is a year away but I love the planning and researching.

I have already decided all the hotels I am booking and have been keeping an eye on prices and reviews. Have a huge list of foods I want to try as well. :wacko:

All booked now :blink: CHICAGO (CHICAGO UNION STATION)
- EMERYVILLE

1 Superliner Roomette | Car 0532 - Room 002 :) So excited!

Have I got it right that it is roomette 2 on the map?

Thank you for all the help everybody

We are doing something similar this December and I'll have to remember Lou Mitchell's - especially since we've been to the end of Route 66!

I second the boat tour.... even if you take the boat to Navy Pier or to Michigan Avenue. Seeing Chicago from the water is amazing and well worth the money.

San Francisco and Monterey are ideal in September and October so you should have an amazing time. We call it weather for the locals :) Be careful when driving Highway 1. It's very twisty so schedule more time than you would think needed.

Car 532 will also be the last car on the train, so just a half car length to look out the back door window. Dining car will be two cars forward and lounge car three cars forward from your sleeping car.

Some aspen trees in Colorado may be in their autumn colors by mid-Sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Thank you all for the lovely responses, we have now squeezed in another day in Chicago so as long as the flights are all on time we will arrive in Chicago Thursday afternoon and leave on the CZ Sunday, will definitely go on a boat tour.

Have booked Hostelling International private room for Chicago, The Baldwin hotel for SF, Monterey bay Lodge for Monterey and The Mirage for Las Vegas.

It will be my Husbands 50th birthday next year and he will love this and so will I. #

Only the flights to book now and spending money to save!

Sounds like a wonderful trip !

We will be on the CZ (from GBB, just down from CHI on the 29th/30th headed for SLC & Yellowstone

As a native Chitowner, long gone, the suggestion for DUE's pizza is awesome,,, rather a windy tradition

My favorite thing to do on the CS is get in the dining car out of Denver for breakfast and go through the tunnel with Railroad Toast (if they are still serving it) and pop out of the tunnel to the best four hours on a train - the Colorado River canyon.

Donner pass and the Sierra's is pretty cool too

If you can make it to San Simeon (Hearst's Castle) while on the coast, it is well worth your time

ENJOY !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back