Traveling from Newport News to Rochester...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fair28

Train Attendant
Hello, I'm new to rail travel and I was wondering if anyone has any insights or suggestions...

I'm traveling in Early October and have the need to get from the Hampton Roads area to Rochester, NY and chose to travel by rail instead of flying mainly because I've never traveled long distance by train before. I'm booked on the northeast regional (66) and the maple leaf (63) from Penn to Rochester and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or insights for this trip? I have a long layover at Penn (overnight) and wondering about suggestions for that too... I'm an experienced traveler, but, not by rail and looking forward to this.

Thanks everyone....

That is a bit of an awkward layover. I'm not sure what to say about that part. I'd definitely bring a blanket and a pillow. Those items will be useful both on the train, and in the station. NYP tends to stay pretty busy throughout the night, so while it may not be quiet, you don't have to worry about being in a place where there aren't other people around.

As for the train, I'd definitely recommend business class seats for the entire trip. The seats are much more comfortable for sleeping, and the fewer passengers in the car means that it will be much quieter. You also get included (non-alcoholic) drinks, and a newspaper. This is what business class looks like on the trains you'll be on: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Amfleet_I_business_class_at_WAS.jpg

As for food, I'd recommend bringing a small cooler along with sandwiches, etc. The cafe car does have a pretty good selection, and NYP has a lot of restaurants, but it can't hurt to bring some of your own food on a trip like this.

Thanks so much for the suggestions... I did book business class based on other recommendations I've read, sounded to me like the extra cost was worth it. The long layover at Penn does concern me a little, a small blanket and pillow are a good idea, I'll pack those in my carry-on. Thanks for the picture link also, that's the best view I've seen of those types of cars. I appreciate that!

Don't know if you know NYC well but as a native New Yorker but a couple times (none involving all nighters, just early mornings) I've found myself walking through Times Square at 6:00am as the sun is rising and found it a very enjoyable experience.

I'd go wait in the waiting area (staffed, they should check your ticket) until like 5ish (last call in bars in New York close at 4:00am so you in theory could go get a late night drink) and then go for a walk if your not able to sleep at all. Some of my best travel memories are walks on layovers at 5:00am, late enough that everyones gone home.

Been to NY several times and though I won't say I know as much as natives, an early morning walk through times square is something I already had in mind, I'm glad someone else suggested it also, that confirms that I'll have to do that. Late night drink sounds like a great idea too! I'm traveling alone this time around, I'm more likely to walk around without anyone else with me.

The other posters covered this pretty well so I'll second going to the Amtrak Waiting Room until 5 amush and then walk outside and have Breakfast @ one the many places between NYP and Times Square instead of eating fast food in the NYP Food Court!

Be sure and take a seat on the left side on the Maple Leaf so you'll have a good view of the Hudson as you head up to Albany before turning West for Rochester!

For future reference if you make this trip again you could ride 66 to Boston and then take the #449 Lake Shore Ltd to Rochester, the Scenery between Boston and Albany is nice and you could have a Light Lunch in the Cafe and then Diner after Albany in the Diner which comes on the NYP #49 Section, the Trains are switched/connected in Albany and run to CHI as one Train! It it would be late @ night when you get to Rochester but the Layover in South Station in Boston is much shorter and pleasant than the one in NYP!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks again... I like that Boston idea.... I may be making that trip again and am always up for something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back