ROOMETE QUESTIONS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm planing a long trip next june (2015) and I have a couple questions please, i will be traveling on the Empire builder hopefully, my questions are:

1.Will I have to share a roomete with a stranger?

2. if I make my resev next month, can I add my teenager much later?

3. Will they charge me a lot extra for her if we are sharing the roomete?

THANKS!!

1) No.

2) Yes, call Amtrak and ask to have her added to your room.

3) You will only pay the rail fare for her. The roomette charge is only applied once (like sharing a hotel room). The agent will let you know how much it will cost when you call to add her.

You will NOT have to share a room, it is like renting a hotel room, its all yours!

If you add your child later all you will pay is the Basic Low Bucket Rail Fare, the Roomette is One charge for One or Two and includes Meals in the Diner!

Since you are booking so far in advance

You will probably pay a Higher Room Charge !( called a Bucket) Prices are based on supply and demand, they can go up or down constantly!

One of our members developed a really great tool called amsnag.net where you can monitor fares and room charges for up to 30 days @ a time for up to 11 months in advance! If you keep checking and see a lower price call and MODIFY your reservation,not cancel it! Amtrak will either refund you the difference ( minus a 10% fee) or give you a voucher good for future travel! It can save you hundreds of dollars depending on the prices!

I'd go ahead and book it now,if you can include both of you when ypu book, this is a popular Train especially in the Summer and fills up often @ the Highest Buckets! (when you pay the Room Charge as I said, your Rail Fare. Is the Lowest Bucket for both of you!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back