More LSL Woes (8/31) Just Leaving CHI?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lo2e

Lead Service Attendant
I know the LSL has had timeliness issues off and on, but lately it seems to be even worse.

According to Amtrak Status Maps:

48(27) left CHI on time (supposedly), but got into NYP 1h20m late, with a maximum "lateness" of 2h07m.

48(28) left CHI 1h37m late, got into NYP 5h27m late, with a maximum lateness of 5h51m.

48(29) left CHI 1h28m late, got into NYP 6h42m late, max lateness 7h29m.

48(30) left CHI on time (supposedly), but was already 1h21m late at SOB, then didn't lose much time after that (if you consider an additional half hour to be a reasonable delay, relative to usual timeliness of the LSL).

48(31) JUST started appearing on the status maps as I posted this (10:35pm ET 8/31)***

Any idea why this train is doomed right out of the gate lately?

For what it's worth, 449(31) (which my sister was on) left BOS about an hour late also.

***Have now seen that 48(31) left CHI 14 minutes late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late departures of the LSL #48 from CHI may due to the train being held for a late California Zephyr or Southwest Chief. Or LSL #49 arrived at CHI very late, leaving insufficient time to service and turnaround the train to send it back east as #48 on-time. On 8/29, #49 arrived at CH at 2:32 PM, 4 hours and 47 minutes late. On 8/28, #49 arrived at CHI over 3 hours late and CZ #6 arrived 6 hours and 38 minutes late at 9:38 PM. Really late LD trains can cascade their delays through the system.

The Capitol Limited had an even worse time in delays in the latter part of last week. The delays on the NS tracks from CHI to Cleveland and Alliance OH (for the CL) have been severe. But we have threads on the topic.

48(31) JUST started appearing on the status maps as I posted this (10:35pm ET 8/31)***
What am I missing here? 48 is due out of CHI at 9:30pm CT which is 10:30pm ET.

Perhaps I don't know what you mean by "appearing on the status maps" but my assumption is it means that five minutes after scheduled departure, it's showing as on the move. Did you mean something different?

This route really needs a second daily train in order to provide service to South Bend, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo during daytime hours. Once new AMTRAK diesels start arriving in the midwest, this might free up a few locos. Perhaps AMTRAK could also look into acquiring surplus 4-axle power from freight railroads. The new Viewliners are deperately needed now!

Without a change in the funding (political) situation, I can't really imagine any new long distance trains being introduced (at least in the near to medium term), even if some of the orders in the pipeline frees up the equipment situation somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back