• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Well - the Minnesota State Fair is on, as it is every year for 12 days ending Labor Day Monday.
Get here, do that. Biggest, best State Fair anywhere.

For rail nuts (or foamers, whatever) there's the easily available mile walk from SPUD to Hoffman (where 5% of all trains in the USA run through, according to a recent SPP article),
Or you could visit the JJ Hill house up on the bluff -- it's a museum now, but the "archetypal rail baron" his palace - open for tours most days.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#2 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

jebr says he is at the fair now, but he's disappointed that they don't have spam curds this year.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#3 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm actually back home now from my second day at the fair. One more day on my roster. :) I did really like the mini donut beer...I think that deserves a repeat.

In-line edit: For those wondering...it's basically a "malty" beer with some sweetness to it with cinnamon sugar on the rim. Maybe I just liked the cinnamon sugar...

Also, picture:

3jEzbaJ.jpg

I'm curious: how easy/hard would it be for Amtrak (or, I suppose, a commuter rail service) to use that rail line just south of Como? I see it would require a backup move into SPUD (rather short, but one nonetheless.) It would be a nice one-seat ride to the fairgrounds from across the state (and beyond) if they could use that line temporarily during the fair for the Builder (or either the Northstar or a future Chicago - Minnesota train.)

Edited by jebr, 28 August 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#4 SubwayNut

SubwayNut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Through Labor Day you can take the Empire Service and Maple Leaf directly to the Great New York State Fair (kids ride free!) Amtrak makes a special stop after Syracuse since its along that line. It's a trip one of these years I'll make to photograph the one station on the entire Empire Corridor I haven't made it too (which now includes every Metro-North stop too, an ongoing project to sort through photos).

Check out my website SubwayNut.com decidated to pictures of subway, light rail and railroad stations including nearly 200 that Amtrak stop at!

#5 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

And you can take the Sounder commuter train to the Washington State Fair in Puyallup on September 13 and 20. I wonder if they will have the dancing pigs on the train. 

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#6 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,270 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Years past there was a train to the DE State Fair in Georgetown (southern DE).  This year I read that the Anniversary train went to the state fair.  Which seemed a little odd since there is no passenger rail in the lower Delmarva Peninsula.  

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#7 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,869 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

You can ride DART ( Green Line) and the TRE (from FTW to DAL Union Station)to the Texas State Fair @ the Cotton Bowl/Fairgrounds in Dallas!

When Texas ( Hook 'em Horns!) plays Oklahoma in the Annual Red River Rivalry @ the Cotton Bowl, Amtrak runs the Heartland Flyer all the way to the Fairgrounds with the Big Game P-42 pulling Extra Cars on the Party Train!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#8 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

Back to the main point -- record attendance at the Minnesota State fair -- quarter million on second Saturday.

If you hate or fear crowds - not the place to be.  If you like safe crowds -- really really good. This Fair is one of the most peaceable crowds you are ever likely to meet.

The cow-observing - on-a-stick-eating MN State Fair attendees -- seem to be - not very grumpy at all --

If crowds of people lined up to eat roasted corn on the cob scare you -- sorry.

If meeting alpacas seems good -- good.

The food is good (of it's kind) the exhibits are OK - the people are -- just a peaceable crowd.

This year I went 3 days -- my daughter rode the scariest things on the Midway ( I didn't) ( I hate being held a hundred feet above the ground upside down and spinning).

Anyhow - it's a great state fair here.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

NYC - Pacemaker

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#9 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

And you can take the Sounder commuter train to the Washington State Fair in Puyallup on September 13 and 20. I wonder if they will have the dancing pigs on the train. 

There is no doubt that Sound Transit botched the planning for its fair service this year. They didn’t even do a very good job of managing communication during the drama. The day probably wasn’t the best advertisement for public transportation–either for the folks crammed on the train or for those left stranded at the station after a long day.

On the other hand, thanks to some scrambling by ST staff–and off-duty drivers who were willing to help out on short notice–everyone made it back where they started. And, if I may inject a bit of perspective: Trips to the fair are one thing. Until we adequately fund transit, people with far more important destinations will continue to be passed up and left behind.

http://www.buschick.com/?p=6911

#10 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Back to the main point -- record attendance at the Minnesota State fair -- quarter million on second Saturday.

If you hate or fear crowds - not the place to be.  If you like safe crowds -- really really good. This Fair is one of the most peaceable crowds you are ever likely to meet.

The cow-observing - on-a-stick-eating MN State Fair attendees -- seem to be - not very grumpy at all --

If crowds of people lined up to eat roasted corn on the cob scare you -- sorry.

If meeting alpacas seems good -- good.

The food is good (of it's kind) the exhibits are OK - the people are -- just a peaceable crowd.

This year I went 3 days -- my daughter rode the scariest things on the Midway ( I didn't) ( I hate being held a hundred feet above the ground upside down and spinning).

Anyhow - it's a great state fair here.

Thank you for saying that about the Minnesota State Fair crowd.  It really is peaceful as you say.  It's like the feeling of Christmas Eve, when you're out walking around and you know no one is going to mess with you because it's Christmas.  That's what the Fair feels like to me.  I used to take my vacations at Fair time and go to the Fair and the Horse Show for five days.  It's the main thing I miss about Minnesota.  The Minnesota State Fair also has a lot of free music, many stages and the guy who books the free entertainment gets a lot of really great acts.  It's worth going just for the free music.

#11 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:00 PM

The Como Park Zoo Animal Planet Reindeer Cam in Saint Paul, MN. is live, with Christmas Music:

ReindeerWinter.jpg

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

#12 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

I love the little Como Park Zoo. And it's little amusement park. And its flower and plant conservatory. And its classic carousel. The grouchy old ladies who explain the proper way to ride a carousel horse and enforce it with the zeal of military police....I don't like so much.

#13 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

I love the little Como Park Zoo. And it's little amusement park. And its flower and plant conservatory. And its classic carousel. The grouchy old ladies who explain the proper way to ride a carousel horse and enforce it with the zeal of military police....I don't like so much.

The conservatory? The big glass-house with tropical plants - yeah? OMG sometimes in winter here we go to the Como conservatory just to remind ourselves that parts of this planet are well  above freezing -- almost always !! 

For those who like the freezing pain in the toes, and cheeks, and nose, the Red Bull crashed Ice thing will happen again here.

February 26-27  2016 -- Crashed Ice -- Saint Paul 2016

Dozens of teams of ice skaters will race a downhill slalom frozen ice course from the Cathedral high above the bluffs - into a safety net only a few hundred feet above the frozen Mississippi .  Never more than 60 mph - or so.

Thrills, spills, freeze your tender bits, see them crash! see them fly!

Observers should wear warm socks and insulated hats, and mittens,

I actually watched this performance on-site close-up  the last 3 years, never got frostbit, but the cold gets into your bones.

Myself, this  year --  I'm doing the museums  and the Como conservatory

Trains experienced:

NYC - Pacemaker

#14 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

Oh,I'd actually enjoy seeing them slide. What do they do...ice over the road?

I'd like to come for the jazz fest some summer. Unfortunately, some of the old jazz hangs, like the Artist's Quarter and the Clown Bar, are now closed.

Or maybe a little jaunt to experience Circus Juventas. Or some music and theater (the Twin Cities is one of the nation's best theatrical communities.) Or the State Fair.

There are also a couple of significant model railroad displays in the cities.

#15 Ispolkom

Ispolkom

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

Oh,I'd actually enjoy seeing them slide. What do they do...ice over the road? 

I'd like to come for the jazz fest some summer. Unfortunately, some of the old jazz hangs, like the Artist's Quarter and the Clown Bar, are now closed.

Or maybe a little jaunt to experience Circus Juventas. Or some music and theater (the Twin Cities is one of the nation's best theatrical communities.) Or the State Fair.

There are also a couple of significant model railroad displays in the cities.

No, it's a special built-up course.  

FWIW, the Artist's Quarter venue has reopened as Vieux Carre, run by the Dakota Jazz Club.   I haven't seen a show there, so can't comment otherwise.

#16 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

A good hotel across the street from Union Depot is the Hyatt Place, in a recently renovated former customs building.  The room was very spacious, with dramatic high ceilings.  Even though they do not really have a restaurant, they were able to provide me with adequate food for dinner, and the hot breakfast was very good.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users