California Zephyr on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleTuck

Train Attendant
I just received a revised ticket from Amtrak for my trip from CHI to RNO. Originally my ticket stated I was on train #5 leaving at 2:00 p.m. and arriving at 8:36 a.m. on September 2, 2014.

The revised ticket states I will now be on train #1005 with nothing else changed.

Can someone please explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the different train number is to differentiate between trains due to different arrival and/or departure times. This is only a guess, but they do the same with train numbers on the time change weekend.

A few years ago, I had something similar with one of the Silvers. If I remember correctly, it was explained to me that the first train (or last train) of a temporary schedule change will have a different train number. I think it is to avoid 2 trains having the same number being in the same area on the same day (or something like that).

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to call Amtrak. The agent stated that train 5 was canceled so they are running train 1005. It is the same train as 5 she said. She also stated that Amtrak said they were going to a new numbering system ( 4 digits) and I asked her if it was permanent but she did not know as Amtrak did not tell her.

Anyway, my car number has changed from 532 to 530. When I looked at the train consist this car does not exist. Does anyone know where this car is positioned in the consist?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Car 530 is the seasonal sleeper and is last car of the train after 531 and 532. At least that was the case when I departed Chicago Aug 3. Car 530 does now go the complete trip from Chicago to Emeryville. In previous years the 530 may have only operated Chicago to Denver.

I rode in car 530 in July all the way to EMY.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back