Meal Times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chezndave

Train Attendant
Hi All,

we are booked to take the CZ in 2 weeks (the excitment builds) and was wondering about lunch, I noted that on the Amtrak website it states that the latest boarding time to receive dinning service is for lunch is 1430 , the train is due to depart at 1400, It may sound a silly question but will we get luch, just so we know if we should take anything with us.

regards in advance

Cheryl :)

You won't get lunch departing Chicago, as OBS said, but there are lots of good options for lunch at Chicago Union Station. If you are connecting there and have time, check out Metro Deli in the Great Hall.

If you have lots of time, head to Giordano's, at 223 W. Jackson St. It's an easy walk from Union Station, and you'll get a nice view of the river and bridges. I'd recommend calling ahead for deep dish if you only have a couple hours, though, as the deep dish can take about 45 minutes to bake, depending on the toppings you order. It's worth it, though. :)

There is a CVS Pharmacy on the corner of Canal & Adams. (Go up the escalators, out to the taxi stand, and turn right.) It's like a miniature grocery store. We usually stock up on liquor and snacks there.

Thank you, we have plenty of time as we are in chicago for 3 days, we will more likely be hungover so the metro deli sounds good as does the pharmacy, never bought booze from a chemist so that will be something new for us .

In the USA, you can buy booze almost anywhere. But only beer and wine are sold on Amtrak trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

In the USA, you can buy booze almost anywhere. But only beer and wine are sold on Amtrak trains.

Not really. In DE, you have to go to a liquor store. I think PA is still using ?state stores?, but you may be able to buy beer/wine in grocery stores.

Slight correction, a limited selection of liquor in airline style bottles and mixes is available in the Cafe Car @ airport prices! Since you're in a Sleeper you can carry on your own to enjoy in the privacy of your room!

Last edited by a moderator:
That really depends. The US has managed to create one of the most complex and convoluted schemes for selling and regulating liquor that is highly dependent on your specific situation, including your age, identification, altitude, state, county, municipality, day of the week, certain days of the year, time of the day, presence of others, and inclusion or lack of food. Amtrak sells several types of liquor on the routes I travel. Amtrak's typical assortment includes Canadian Club Blended Whiskey, Jack Daniel’s Black Label, Dewar’s Scotch, Finlandia Vodka, Tanqueray Gin, Bacardi Rum, Bailey’s Irish Cream, & Courvoisier Cognac.

Going to get some nice wine to have after our tea (that's dinner to you in the US) while sitting in your little room watching the world in by, but imagine what will be dark by then, so scrabble it will be ..

In the US every state is different in terms of where you can buy liquor and taxes on liquor. After the repel of prohibition liquor was made exempt from the Interstate Commerce Clause and regulation given to the states so the sale of liquor various tremendously by state.

In some states it's 'buy anywhere' convenience stores in some you have to go to a liquor store to buy anything. In others its beer in grocery stores/convenience stores and hard liquor/wine in liquor stores, others beer and wine can be sold in convience stores.

Then there a few states (like Colorado) where you basically only buy real alcoholic beverages in liquor stores. The only beer sold in convience stores has an ABV of under 3.2%, specially formulated for Colorado and Utah.

Trusty Wikipedia

If you have a little time on a layover or before departing, I highly recommend the French Market (with lots of good food options), just a couple of blocks north on Canal, by the Ogilvie Transportation Center (ex Northwestern Station for us longtime Chicagoans.)

If you have even longer (over two hours) I highly recommend walking down to Halsted and dining at one of the Greektown restaurants. If you have just a bit longer than that, you might consider Taylor St. And Little Italy or Chinatown, by Cermak and the Red Line.

Al's Beef!

Corner of Adams and Jefferson, 2 blocks west down Adams (street along north side of Union Station). 1 block if you walk through the headhouse, which I recommend if it isn't closed due to some other function, which it often is.

I think PA is still using ?state stores?, but you may be able to buy beer/wine in grocery stores.
Not as of last Fall anyway. You can get beer only in certain restaurants and what they call "beer stores", which are few and far between in rural areas.

See rant

I think PA is still using ?state stores?, but you may be able to buy beer/wine in grocery stores.
Not as of last Fall anyway. You can get beer only in certain restaurants and what they call "beer stores", which are few and far between in rural areas.

See rant
Can't buy beer in gas stations in NJ, RI or MA either. And that is just off the top of my head. We are liberal states up here with puritanical liquor laws. Or the liquor stores have good lobbyists.

Then there the state run liquor stores in NH along their Turnpikes to entice out of state buyers to buy their slightly cheaper liquor. I know of ones along the tooled portions of I-95 and I-93 in that state.

Putting a state run liquor store on an interstate built after 1956 using Interstate Highway funds is illegal because of the prohibition on direct commercial traveler services on interstates that was enacted to avoid one company having a monopoly and making travelers get off to support (local) businesses. Congress actually acted in 1982 passing a law that allowed minimal commercialization for vending machines to be added to the non-commercial rest areas and welcome centers along our interstates. (Source)

Then there the state run liquor stores in NH along their Turnpikes to entice out of state buyers to buy their slightly cheaper liquor. I know of ones along the tooled portions of I-95 and I-93 in that state.

Putting a state run liquor store on an interstate built after 1956 using Interstate Highway funds is illegal because of the prohibition on direct commercial traveler services on interstates that was enacted to avoid one company having a monopoly and making travelers get off to support (local) businesses. Congress actually acted in 1982 passing a law that allowed minimal commercialization for vending machines to be added to the non-commercial rest areas and welcome centers along our interstates. (Source)
but you can buy beer in a grocery store in NH - don't have to go to a liquor store like the other states.

One of the things that freaked me out the most about moving to Ohio almost thirty years ago is what is termed as a "drive thru."

Pull up to an awning or sometimes an interior building with entrance and exit doors, and they will get you anytying in the store. Six pack and pizza, no problem, 26 oz bud and a pack of smokes, no prob. One twist is hard stuff is still highly regulated (when I moved here they had "state stores". and our little town of 6k there is only one place to buy the hard stuff, with I think (I have 20 yrs of sobriety so it has been a while) no Sunday sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back