Noob questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjartmarr

Service Attendant
I've had some rail-related questions knocking around in my head for a while now. I haven't been able to google up the answers, so...

In Europe, I rode "second class" in a compartment with 3-3 bench seats facing each other. At night, the seats converted into six bunk beds. The space taken by that seating arrangement was only a little more than in coach seating, and the ticket cost was only a little more as well, but the increase in comfort was enormous. Why can't we have that here? Is it just lack of equipment, or a percieved lack of demand?

I was surprised to learn that train crews have private rooms on-board. This sounds very expensive; roomettes seem to sell for $300 per day or so. Is there a reason why crews don't de-train when their shift is over, sleep at a station, then get back on the next train to work another shift the next day?

Is baggage loading/unloading a significant contributor to dwell time? Has there been any thought given to putting baggage into "shipping containers" which can be loaded/unloaded from the baggage car as a unit? A car would hold half a dozen containers, and bags would be sorted en-route.

It seems I often see multiple locomotives pulling small (8-12 car) trains. (I'm mostly familiar with the CS, Surfliner, and San Joaqin routes.) But freight trains seem to have a much, much lower locomotive-to-car ratio, and the cars are probably heavier. Of course, freight moves at a slower speed. Is a single passenger locomotive incapable of pulling 8 cars at speed along level ground? (I would think that most of the drag would be wheel friction...which, being steel-on-steel, shouldn't be much.) Or are freight locomotives just that much more powerful?

A heavily loaded freight train doesn't have to stop very often and can take a long time to get up to speed. Shipping containers would be somewhat a solution in search of a problem. The CS has how many stations with baggage service? So how many containers would you need and who is going to be on a train that may be rocking trying to sort the baggage? And who takes bets on how long it takes before the first major injury or death?

As for the sleeping arrangements, most people frankly have qualms about sleeping in a bed with strangers. Maybe young people have no issue with hostels, but on a train is a different matter. So what we have are private sleeping rooms.

And the employees who have rooms on the trains are on the train for the duration of the trip, and they only get about 4 hours uninterrupted sleep each night. The only employee who work shifts are the engineer and the conductor. They get off at crew change stations (unless they "die" before they reach it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back