Southwest Chief Kansas City-Los Angeles 8/19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
Haven't even boarded yet, in fact my train is still somewhere in IL showing about 30 min behind schedule, but thought I'd start a travelogue anyway, kind of make it hard to not get around to finishing it if I already have it started.

Was in KC for some quick business, and need to be in LA for another meeting on Thursday evening, so the train worked out in my schedule for a change. I have never taken the Chief, and with the potential reroute coming, I had to take this opportunity.

Arrived KC last night, and took a shuttle on the Westin Crown center hotel directly across from the station. Hotel is nice, I love the waterfall and natural rock and foliage inside, very serene. Station was all lit up, gorgeous last night. After work today, dropped bags at the Amtrak station baggage area, then my rental car back off at the Westin, and walked back to the station. Was hoping to kill time in the museums here, but apparently they all close at 5. Still, wandered around the beautifully restored station, charged my phone a bit and then wandered into Pierponts for dinner and some libations to help sleep through what is, I understand, some rough riding through KS.

I have to tell you, as impressive as Chicago Union Station is, I have to believe KC is the prettier of the two. Especially after remembering it as a kid, when then grand hall was empty except for an inflated bubble in the middle where Amtrak was housed in the pressurized inflated monstrosity. I also remember when they moved out of the bubble into the Amshack under the bridge. Compared to those days, this is like stepping back in time-It is hard not to imagine it's 1939 and waiting to board the Super Chief. Between the grand hall, and this beautiful resteraunt (thanks DA for the tip!) it's a refreshing change to be surrounded in period elegance, professional dress, impeccable service, and outstanding food and beverage. Microbrew IPA, steamed mussels for an appetizer, and some great company. Doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics and I agree that Union Station is an unknown jewel to most!

Looking forward to your reports from the SWC, most of us really enjoy this Train and Route! You might see some Boy Scouts!

One of my favorite pictures from our big trip last year is one of my with my mouth open staring up at the ceiling in the KC station. Just spectacular. We were almost sacked out since we left Chicago but from reading this site, I knew it was a must see. So glad I did. It's a gem.

Riding through KS is like sleeping on a bucking bronco, but I'm sure the libations will help. :)

I leave the sheets tucked in as much as possible and sleep on my stomach instead of my side. It helps keep me secure-ish.

That really is a gorgeous station. I love the purple uplighting and the chandeliers.

I'm sure they will too Sarah! Better living through chemistry and all that! After apps and a few beers at the station I decided to take a walk across the bridge to Jack Stack's BBQ, in the restored freight house building across the tracks for burnt ends, a KC favorite. Still have plenty of time to kill, though it looks like it's making up some time. I hope it's not QUITE as bad as. Bucking bronco, I really could use some good sleep tonight, though I'll be on a train, still have work to do on board tomorrow before LA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back