Sleepers on the rear?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry Kisor

Which end of No. 7 are the Seattle sleepers on? Front or rear? Just want to know where to stand when the train comes into Portage, Wis.

Or do the conductors on No. 7 lift the tickets in the middle of the train?

Portland cars are on the rear of #7. Seattle sleepers should be near the front. I have never boarded at Portage, so can't say how or where the conductor lifts the tickets.

Perhaps the EB does a double stop here frequently to first board all Seattle passengers, then moves up to board all Portland passengers?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seattle sleepers (730 and 731) and the transdorm are on the front. The Portland sleeper (2730) is on the rear. They'll open up the sleeper that ticketed passengers are in, and both if there are boarding and detraining passengers in both.

I ride the Empire Builder regularly and I seem to recall the Portage is frequently a double spot, at least in high traffic periods with a max consist, although I've never boarded it there (I usually ride it straight through between Chicago and Everett). So the Seattle sleepers will be in the first spot.

Portage is an unmanned stop, so they'll board you, then the tickets will be lifted/scanned after the train is back underway. Chances are the SCA will be the one who boards you, not the conductor.

The last time I rode the Empire Builder, the Seattle sleepers were at the front. Not sure if the dual load/unload was a factor, but on two separate occasions, visitors somehow got stuck on the westbound train and couldn't get off until Wisconsin Dells. I'm thinking maybe they thought the train was going to pull ahead and stop one more time, but miscalculated. Do unintended passengers still need to buy a ticket?

I got on at LSE two weeks ago. 730 was in the front, 2730 was in the rear. The "2"cars are the Portland cars.

I can't remember where I found this (bad librarian!!) but it is the EB Consist - and coming home we were in 2830 - last car on the train and a real butt to get to the diner

EMPIRE BUILDER — 5 sets

2 cars CHI-MSP (seasonal)

----|---- [CHI-SEA] Heritage Baggage 0732|0832

[CHI-SEA] Superliner Dorm/Sleeper 0731|0831

[CHI-SEA] Superliner Sleeper 0730|0830

[CHI-SEA] Superliner Sleeper

----|---- [CHI-SEA] Superliner Diner 0711|0811

[CHI-SEA] Superliner Coach 0712|0812

[CHI-SEA] Superliner Coach

----|---- [CHI-PDX] Superliner Lounge 2714|2814

[CHI-PDX] Superliner Coach 2715|2815

[CHI-PDX] Superliner Coach Baggage 2730|2830