0630 Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

I'm booked this week EMY-DEN in 0630. Looking at the consist info thread, 0630 is showing as the seasonal additional sleeper that only runs DEN-CHI.

Is the thread off, or has something changed? I very much want to be in the last car, and am just concerned that this may be the trans dorm.

We did have the railfan window because I was taking photos out the back when we backed into Denver and the conductor asked that I stand back until we stopped. He was giving directions to the engineer via radio and standing in the doorway.

Most of the time the 0631 and 0632 are the two sleeping cars IIRC.

I went back to find our tickets from that trip and the car was actually numbered 0633 and was on the back. Sorry for the confusion.

Therefore: I am not sure what the status of the 0630 car is? Perhaps some who have ridden recently can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
0630 should be the sleeper closest to the dining car. With the sleepers (and I think the rest of the train but I'm not 100% sure) multiple cars of the same type are numbered going away from the dining car. I'm sure there are exceptions on some routes, though. But I do not know of any offhand.

0630 should be the sleeper closest to the dining car. With the sleepers (and I think the rest of the train but I'm not 100% sure) multiple cars of the same type are numbered going away from the dining car. I'm sure there are exceptions on some routes, though. But I do not know of any offhand.
No. 630 is the last car, farthest from the Diner among the regular sleepers. I can say with some certainty because I was on car 630 a few weeks back and I was in Roomette 9 (eventually, read on :) ), and made good use of the railfan window. 631 is closest to the Diner. behind that is 632, and behind that is 630. Don't ask me why. It is just the way it is. I am also certain that it was not a once off thing that day, because I saw the 30 car in that position in the consist on at least 4 train 5 and 6 that we traveled on during the OTOL Fest.
I was originally booked in Roomette 10 on 631 DEN - CHI. but unfortunately the lady who occupied that room coming into Denver barfed all over the room rendering it unusable. So I was sent off as a refugee to car 630 and got Roomette 10. But within an hour of leaving Denver the door of my roomette fell off its track! So I was moved to Roomette 9 which happened to be vacant too. And the train went with two roomettes bad ordered.

No. 630 is the last car, farthest from the Diner among the regular sleepers. I can say with some certainty because I was on car 630 a few weeks back and I was in Roomette 9 (eventually, read on :) ), and made good use of the railfan window. 631 is closest to the Diner. behind that is 632, and behind that is 630. Don't ask me why. It is just the way it is. I am also certain that it was not a once off thing that day, because I saw the 30 car in that position in the consist on at least 4 train 5 and 6 that we traveled on during the OTOL Fest.
I was originally booked in Roomette 10 on 631 DEN - CHI. but unfortunately the lady who occupied that room coming into Denver barfed all over the room rendering it unusable. So I was sent off as a refugee to car 630 and got Roomette 10. But within an hour of leaving Denver the door of my roomette fell off its track! So I was moved to Roomette 9 which happened to be vacant too. And the train went with two roomettes bad ordered.
You guys sure did have fun that week. :D

Is occupying Three different Roomettes on the same Train a record? I've been in Two many times for much the same reasons but never three!

Is occupying Three different Roomettes on the same Train a record? I've been in Two many times for much the same reasons but never three!
... and Kevin K was using charts to keep track of the rooms of all the OTOL members on the train. Jis' "roomette hopping" caused Kevin to "pull his hair out" several times. :lol:

... and Kevin K was using charts to keep track of the rooms of all the OTOL members on the train. Jis' "roomette hopping" caused Kevin to "pull his hair out" several times. :lol:
I imagine Kevin K is bald after that trip. :eek:

O630 and 530 are definitely the "seasonal" cars that now run the entire length of the trip Chicago to Emeryville this year 2014. I was on train 5 of Aug 3 and we had the 0530 sleeper as the last sleeper car for the entire trip and according to the SCA, that is normal this year. I was in 0531 right behind the dining car. The 0x30 car is seasonal and probably be discontinued at the end of Summer season until next Spring or Summer.

The transdorm car is numbered 640, and located at the front of the train immediately behind the baggage car.

I never occupied the first room. Actually never boarded car 631. At the door I was told to just go to car 630 and the SCA would give me a room. So I just had the room in car 631 as the original assigned room, but never set foot in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back