What's the deal with Capitol Limited's on-time performance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the story behind the 5% on time in the past month?
Major track work on the NS line between Cleveland and Chicago with some single track sections, leading to long delays. I took the CL two weeks ago from CHI to WAS and we were 3 hours late by the time we got to South Bend due to 2 long stops waiting for freight traffic to pass by. The CL has been often running 2 to 3 hours late both ways.

The Lake Shore Limited has been getting a double whammy due to CSX track work between Schenectady and Buffalo which has been resulting in frequent delays of up to several hours for the LSL, Maple Leaf, and the Niagara Falls Empire service trains. It has been a bad summer for OTP for the LSL and CL. The Cardinal, strangely enough, while still having poor OTP, has been more reliable than the CL and LSL on staying close to schedule.

No whammys!

Looks like the cardinal is usually a couple hours late, but not always. Hope I get lucky

I have a trip booked next year connecting to The Empire Builder from the Capitol Limited. Noticed yesterday 29 was almost six hours late! I have a two week trip planned and would hate to miss the connection on the first day of my trip. 29 arrived in Chicago after 7's scheduled departure. Will the Western connecting trains wait for 29 and 48 if they get in that close to departure time? I really don't want to have the stress of missing a connection. From the EB we are heading South on the CS. Wisely, we are overnighting in Portland. AGR let us do it,but the agent I talked to said she was making an exception, and said the 27 to 11 connection would not be there for much longer.

I have a trip booked next year connecting to The Empire Builder from the Capitol Limited. Noticed yesterday 29 was almost six hours late! I have a two week trip planned and would hate to miss the connection on the first day of my trip. 29 arrived in Chicago after 7's scheduled departure. Will the Western connecting trains wait for 29 and 48 if they get in that close to departure time? I really don't want to have the stress of missing a connection. From the EB we are heading South on the CS. Wisely, we are overnighting in Portland. AGR let us do it,but the agent I talked to said she was making an exception, and said the 27 to 11 connection would not be there for much longer.
First, checking the status map archives, #7(8/06) appears to have been held for the very late #29(8/05) which arrived at CH at 2:24 PM CT, as #7(8/06) departed CHI at 3:12 PM, 57 minutes late. Of course, it may have left late for other reasons.

When is your trip next year? The lateness problems with the CL and LSL have been mostly due to summer construction season track work which should be long over. By then, the CL and LSL may be back to normal for on-time performance and even the EB may be doing better staying closer to schedule. Projects such as the Englewood Flyover and some of the Indiana Gateway track projects may be completed by the end of this year, helping the CL do better schedule wise on the Chicago end of the route.

Here's something new.. Train 30 left CHI on-time tonight for a change.
A betting man will mortgage the house and lay odds she's at least an hour down by Elkhart!
That betting man would have lost the bet and possibly the house. :eek: 30(8/07) departed Elkhart 19 minutes late and as of a 9:55 PM ET status update was moving at 61 mph enroute to Waterloo, IN. Of course, it may still run into long delays on the way Cleveland.

I have a trip booked next year connecting to The Empire Builder from the Capitol Limited.
Next year you are likely to be substantially better off. NS is doing major trackwork on the CL route this year but probably *won't* be doing similar trackwork next year. There's also two major projects (Englewood Flyover and Indiana Gateway) on the CL route in the vicinity of Chicago which are scheduled to be completed around the end of the year.
Unfortunately the delays on the Empire Builder are expected to continue into next year.

My trip is in June. I always book as soon as the dates open, Hopefully 29 will improve down the road. I've taken many Amtrak trips and it never gets old. I'm hoping we get into Chicago so there is ample time to wait in the Metropolitan lounge. It's all part of the train experience. As far as The Empire Builder, I don't care how late it is. That's why I booked the next day's Coast Starlight to get to California. I'm glad the AGR agent let me do it. That was a hassle getting that itinerary booked,but it worked.

I have a trip booked for November 2nd on 30 with a connection to the Pennsylvanian. There is only 2.5 hrs for a connection and I noticed that recently quite a few would not make it. Since I am travelling to Lancaster, what would they do with me? Is there a chance they'd let me stay on and get me to Lancaster via NE Regional from WAS to PHL and then a Keystone to LNC, or would they do something else? That seems to be the most reasonable option, since it wouldn't cost them anything to have me travel on different trains.

I have a trip booked for November 2nd on 30 with a connection to the Pennsylvanian. There is only 2.5 hrs for a connection and I noticed that recently quite a few would not make it. Since I am travelling to Lancaster, what would they do with me? Is there a chance they'd let me stay on and get me to Lancaster via NE Regional from WAS to PHL and then a Keystone to LNC, or would they do something else? That seems to be the most reasonable option, since it wouldn't cost them anything to have me travel on different trains.
I believe they have done that in the past, The Pennsylvanian is held many times for the CL running late, sometimes up to an hour late, so you might still make your connection if you fall within that time frame.

Welp--I have a trip on Thursday that involves the CL connecting with the SWC. Hopefully that six hour window will be enough.

When you discover that you'll miss your connection, if you specifically request it (say you'd rather have a longer train trip than a shorter bus trip), they'll probably accomodate you.

I believe they have done that in the past, The Pennsylvanian is held many times for the CL running late, sometimes up to an hour late, so you might still make your connection if you fall within that time frame.
The cl was 14 hours late into Washington Thursday morning this was the Tuesday cl. I'm taking my train club out to Pittsburgh end of September via Pennsylvanian and return on the Capitol . We're thinking of changing to the Pennsylvanian for the return. Any thoughts as to track work being cleared up by then and the eastbound cap limited will be reasonably late

Gene Gleason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back