Empire Builder for PDX to MSP visit?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GusTrain

Train Attendant
I haven't kept up on the EB problems....If we are going to travel from PDX to MSP this fall & time is not a factor (we are retired visiting our son in college), should we just take the EB? Or are there bus substitutions along the way? Should we go south to the CZ? Thanks for your input!

If your son is in MSP, and you don't mind arriving in mid-day or late afternoon -- take the EB!

My son arrived from SEA about 9 hours late, but it wasn't a problem - we just figured the EB was the best deal, late as it has been.

The CZ way to CHI and back to MSP -- naah - no gain, lotsa pain.

About possible bus substitutions - it happens - but not likely this fall - there "could" be such - but unlikely.

How you describe your situation -- I'd take the EB and expect a several-hour late arrival -- plan on at least 4 hours late per schedule at MSP from PDX.

Last edited by a moderator:
If time is no concern, why not take the EB? :huh: besides, even if you take the CZ, besides having an overnight in CHI (because of the arrival time of the CZ), you still must take the EB between CHI and MSP!

My father, god rest his soul, used to say time is but a constant in our universe.

If you have, it enjoy the EB.

I haven't kept up on the EB problems....If we are going to travel from PDX to MSP this fall & time is not a factor (we are retired visiting our son in college), should we just take the EB?
Yes. It's been running very slow, but there are no bus substitutions.
If you had to *change trains* from the EB to something else, I'd recommend avoiding it (because you'd have to take an extra night in a hotel, etc.)

But since it's just one train, go for it. Expect to arrive up to 8 hours late, and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back