eVoucher fiasco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
In a netshell,..........I purchased an Amtrak ticket,..... cancelled it,..... and applied it to another Amtrak ticket,.........both reservations were by credit card.

Amtrak double charged me not taking into account my original credit, which I dutifully applied to the 2nd reservation.

Got it,...good.

I've spent 20 minutes with Amtrak operators trying to resolve with nothing.

OK,.... here's my moral dilemma. I know that I will be charged a surcharge for cancelling, or a eVoucher.

But, I can make another reservation for approximately the amount I want credited to my charge card, by making another reservation with at least 2 weeks in advance and then cancel it and get a full refund.

Should I do it, knowing it's deceptive but still acceptable according to Amtrak refund policy?

In a netshell,..........I purchased an Amtrak ticket,..... cancelled it,..... and applied it to another Amtrak ticket,.........both reservations were by credit card.

Amtrak double charged me not taking into account my original credit, which I dutifully applied to the 2nd reservation.

Got it,...good.

I've spent 20 minutes with Amtrak operators trying to resolve with nothing.

OK,.... here's my moral dilemma. I know that I will be charged a surcharge for cancelling, or a eVoucher.

But, I can make another reservation for approximately the amount I want credited to my charge card, by making another reservation with at least 2 weeks in advance and then cancel it and get a full refund.

Should I do it, knowing it's deceptive but still acceptable according to Amtrak refund policy?
Not really following but:

It's best to deal personally with a station ticket agent, especially if you have access to a big-city counter where a supervisor should be available. IAC, try again to get that second charge just backed off your credit card.

If you can't, I don;t think your other tactic will work. I think that if you use a voucher to buy a ticket, all you will ever get back upon cancellation is another voucher. The only good news then is that your procedure will allow you to extend the voucher expiration date indefinitely. And doing so isn't violating the spirit of the Amtrak rules - at least most Amtrak agents I talk with encourage people to take advantage of that rule: i.e., anytime you do something with the voucher, you reset the expiration date to one year hence.

Here's hoping you straighten it out.

If you cancel a ticket purchased with an e voucher you get refunded in form of evoucher.

This is a bit off topic, but when do you get vouchers vs the normal paper tickets amtrak always seems to mail me?

Sounds to me if "you are asking" you have your own moral dilemma to deal with. Do what makes your gut feel right. Personally I wouldn't ping this board, as it is made up of ALL kinds of thinkers, and you will get ALL kinds of answers, in some way, making your decision even more difficult.

Kind of like the thread that derailed into a discussion about, "walking across the grass, when a sign reads 'please stay off the grass'.........."

The world is made up of all kinds, be true to yourself.

I called and got a very sympathetic operator and she reassigned me a E bedroom with no additional charge. Sadly it depends on your operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back