Head up amtrak train 4 is 10 hours+ Late (7/30). TRI 415A Dep

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something happened at Raton? it looks like it spend 8 hours at (or near) the station.

Multiple washout in New Mexico. (hopefully person with true knowledge will post!)

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Trainorders, they waited at Raton for the washout to be repaired. Train is currently stuck in a small yard outside Lamar waiting for the westbound #3 to pass. Any bets on if the train will be in Chicago by 3:00 am?

Should be at lap 10:00p CHI 3:00a ct right now 12hrs 30mins late but it should make little time.

At GCK ,DDG, Hut,KCY

I was on 3 that left Chi on 7/28. When we got about 1/4 mile from the tunnel at Raton Pass, we were stopped due to potential washout after the tunnel. Sat for apx 2 hrs, saw the maintenance crews zip by to check it out. Finally we're given go ahead to pass. If NM got any additional rain, I could see how this would definitely be what's going on. But we were allowed to 'go' on Tues 29th at that point in the route.

FWIW, per Am Status site, it arrived a little after 3 AM a little more than 12 hrs late.

So here's an informal poll question -- how many of you would sack out in your sleeper at say 10PM, get woken up for the 3 AM arrival, and then try to catch some more sleep at the hotel --- or-- just stay up until the metal monster crawls into CHI, and try to sleep late? Pros and cons?

Best,

Phil

I would get into sack at 7pm, wake up and get off at 3am and then probably not go back to sleep, since by the time I get to hotel and check in and all that, it'd a;ready be past 4am.

I did something like that on the CZ when it arrived into SLC at 4am instead of 11 something pm.

Since I'm a night person I'd just stay up and sleep after I got to the hotel

but since most people keep " regular" hours I'm sure I'm in the minority!

Different story if the train was 16-24 hours late Id hit the sack @ my regular ( late) time and hope the Diner still had food to serve breakfast! ( not Amstew!)

Interesting that this question about "what would you do" was asked because I have been thinking about this myself as applicable to my travel plans arriving in Chicago on the Southwest Chief.

My plans are to stay overnight at an airport hotel prior to my flight home. Knowing train arrival times can be "iffy", I am not comfortable with making plane reservations for a flight later in the day when we arrive in Chicago. My flight home the next day is NOW scheduled--stay tuned for more changes--for 1:05 P. M., meaning I ought to be at the airport around 11:05 A. M.

So, what do I do? Go to the hotel for a very abbreviated stay? Or, upon seeing that the train will arrive so late, use my cellphone and cancel the hotel before the cancellation time? Then, what? Would the Metropolitan Lounge be open in order to stay there before going to the airport? Go to the airport and wait there? But, would I be able to check in there at that time of "night" and get through security in order reach a seating area? (I am going to have to find out the hours of operation for the airline Club rooms at O'Hare; buying a day pass for my airline's Club room could be a good option.)

What would I do on the train? Take a late evening shower and using a pillow or two in my roomette, stretch out and I am sure I would be comfortable. I am fortunate that I often sleep better in a seated position than laying down.

Please Southwest Chief: do not be that late in October!!

Interesting that this question about "what would you do" was asked because I have been thinking about this myself as applicable to my travel plans arriving in Chicago on the Southwest Chief.

My plans are to stay overnight at an airport hotel prior to my flight home. Knowing train arrival times can be "iffy", I am not comfortable with making plane reservations for a flight later in the day when we arrive in Chicago. My flight home the next day is NOW scheduled--stay tuned for more changes--for 1:05 P. M., meaning I ought to be at the airport around 11:05 A. M.

So, what do I do? Go to the hotel for a very abbreviated stay? Or, upon seeing that the train will arrive so late, use my cellphone and cancel the hotel before the cancellation time? Then, what? Would the Metropolitan Lounge be open in order to stay there before going to the airport? Go to the airport and wait there? But, would I be able to check in there at that time of "night" and get through security in order reach a seating area? (I am going to have to find out the hours of operation for the airline Club rooms at O'Hare; buying a day pass for my airline's Club room could be a good option.)

What would I do on the train? Take a late evening shower and using a pillow or two in my roomette, stretch out and I am sure I would be comfortable. I am fortunate that I often sleep better in a seated position than laying down.

Please Southwest Chief: do not be that late in October!!
I doubt you'll be allowed to stay on the train more than 15-20 minutes after arrival, and the Chicago 1st class lounge closes pretty early, maybe before 10 PM. But others will know better.

But -- 10 hrs late for #4 is very very unusual. Chances are you'll be in by 5 or 6 at the latest, in time for dinner in Chicago, and a good night's rest.

So if the SWC is late to Chicago and you have a connection to another amtrak train, such as the cardinal. Do they simply rebook you onto the next one?

Amtrak would arrange to rebook you on the next day's train but no guarantee that there would be any sleepers left on that train. :( . If you know you are going to be very late and especially if using AGR points, it is best to call AGR and try to schedule an available sleeper before the crowd arrives in CHI and guest services is enveloped with people trying to get the last sleepers. Amtrak will also arrange for accommodations in a Chicago area hotel for that evening as well. In the case of the Cardinal, you would not be able to book it for 2-3 days later since it only runs three days per week. :(

With the Cardinal if there is any possible way whatsoever they will bus you to meet your train.
Is that true also for the CZ Cardinal connection? If so, where from and to? Naperville to Dyer? That gains only 10 minutes from the #50 schedule but over 1 hr from the CZ schedule. Just curious as I'll be trying to make that connection in late September.

With the Cardinal if there is any possible way whatsoever they will bus you to meet your train.
Is that true also for the CZ Cardinal connection? If so, where from and to? Naperville to Dyer? That gains only 10 minutes from the #50 schedule but over 1 hr from the CZ schedule. Just curious as I'll be trying to make that connection in late September.
If they're planning ahead and it's evident the connection will be missed, they may bus from Galesburg to Indianapolis. It's a 4 hour bus ride but 11 hours via train, so even a fairly large delay could be made up there.

If they're planning ahead and it's evident the connection will be missed, they may bus from Galesburg to Indianapolis. It's a 4 hour bus ride but 11 hours via train, so even a fairly large delay could be made up there.
Wowza Even I'd be willing to ride bus for 4 hrs to make the connection.Do only sleeper pax count in their calcs? If there are only a few of us (sleeper and coach), would they consider a taxi? In any case, now I know what to ask for/about. Thanks!

I was on the CZ last year and was supposed to connect to the Cardinal. However the CZ was going to misconnect so passengers were indeed bussed to Indianapolis from Galesburg. We (my uncle and I) decided against that and chose to overnight on Amtrak's dime and take the CL instead.

Our SWC is 5.25 hours late at this point.

How do you find out about alternative plans/routes?

Obviously you cannot wait till you are in chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back