Amtrak Comet lavatories

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
Despite taking way longer than they said it would, Amtrak's Beech Grove shops really did do a great job converting these commuter railcars into something suitable for intercity service. My continuing hope is that these Comet IB cars will help increase ridership on the San Joaquin until the new equipment arrives... and that when they're replaced... they can go to launching a new service in California (like the Coast Daylight).

PS: I never found the Comet IB cars to have a bad smell. In fact, I quite enjoyed their "new car smell" when they first arrived on the San Joaquin.

Despite taking way longer than they said it would, Amtrak's Beech Grove shops really did do a great job converting these commuter railcars into something suitable for intercity service...

PS: I never found the Comet IB cars to have a bad smell. In fact, I quite enjoyed their "new car smell" when they first arrived on the San Joaquin.
I rode on them in May June of this year and found them to be quite nice. I agree that Beech Grove did a great job on the conversions.

As for the car's 'perfume,' I noticed neither a bad smell nor the 'new car' smell. They smelled like Amtrak... ...on a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how many exactly, but I think one or two. I know they smell like Amtrak, but I rode it on a bad day, there were tons of suspicious passengers on the train, people with sagging pants and dirty jackets.

I was going to take photos of the interior, but too many passengers looked ready to cause trouble, and if you photograph them without asking each and every one.....I did not want to fight.

I was just on a Hound with a suspicious old man who called me a "lowlife", so I did not photograph the interior.

...there were tons of suspicious passengers on the train, people with sagging pants and dirty jackets.
Geeze, one of them could have been me. :ph34r: After a day of taming wilderness, killing bears, fighting Injuns and Mexicans, my pants have been known to sag a bit and my jacket sometimes gets covered in dirt and blood. :eek: ;)

I was going to take photos of the interior, but too many passengers looked ready to cause trouble
Hey, it wasn't "The Hound" you were riding,. We are a better 'class' of pax! We just look bad sometimes, but we don't do things like decapitate strangers in the middle of the night! Welcome to the rails. We are at least a half a step up from your average "Hound" rider! :D

Dude, I'd take offense to somebody taking photos of me without permission. And I'm several steps above the average Amtrak rider, forget Greyhound.

No I wouldn't come to blows over it or anything like that, but if Swad wants to be polite for once, why discourage it?

One restroom per car on the San Joaquin's is not at all sufficient. It will get dirty, out of order, people waiting to use it, etc. etc. No thanks.

Say what you want, but I don't want to suffer "paruresis" -- the un-ability to use a toilet knowing that there are people outside waiting for you to hurry your ass up.

I'll stick to routes that have the Superliners - FIVE restrooms per car.

:giggle:
...there were tons of suspicious passengers on the train, people with sagging pants and dirty jackets.
Geeze, one of them could have been me. :ph34r: After a day of taming wilderness, killing bears, fighting Injuns and Mexicans, my pants have been known to sag a bit and my jacket sometimes gets covered in dirt and blood. :eek: ;)
I was going to take photos of the interior, but too many passengers looked ready to cause trouble
Hey, it wasn't "The Hound" you were riding,. We are a better 'class' of pax! We just look bad sometimes, but we don't do things like decapitate strangers in the middle of the night! Welcome to the rails. We are at least a half a step up from your average "Hound" rider! :D
Naw dude, I've have more trouble with Amtrak pax. Some people on Amtrak insist Belfield is in South Dakota, even though it is in North Dakota! On da Hound they at least listen, on Amtrak they go like, "No, Belfield is in South Dakota, NOT in North Dakota." Dumb! It IS in North Dakota! And what about the CZ pax that insist we passed through Ely and Des Moines? At least we Hounders know our geography! And Berthoud's higher than Moffat......

See, that's yet another reason why I don't ride Amtrak much anymore. :giggle:

But at least you still hang out in Amtrak Unlimited :p and occasionally try to convert every thread into a bus thread :lol:
Is it because there is no hound group that is as nice as AU? ;)

But at least you still hang out in Amtrak Unlimited :p and occasionally try to convert every thread into a bus thread :lol:
Is it because there is no hound group that is as nice as AU? ;)
GTE is a nice group, just small. I'm not trying a thread, I'm just joking. Guys on GTE are actually nicer than on here. But yeah, it's the Hound drivers, they're way nicer than Amtrak attendants, that's what does it for me.

I'm just messing around right now.

Actually, I was already warned by MrFSS to NOT convert every thread into a bus thread.

Hey, if anyone wants to talk about Amtrak Comet lavatories, feel free to do so. As I said, they are nice lavatories, better than the ones on the broken Superliner Sleeper #32047 I rode on my last Amtrak LD ride.

I'm a self-proclaimed Unofficial Hound Foamer, so it's almost irresistible to stop foaming about the Dog. But when I start foaming about the Dog, I end up threadjacking.

I've never seen a line for the restroom on the Comet car trainsets... but I agree that 1 restroom per 64 passengers (maximum) is a bit too many. That being said the 5 restrooms in the Superliners borders on being overkill.

The suitable ratio of restrooms / passengers actually depends on how long the train has to go between having its restrooms properly cleaned. The high number on the Superliners attests to their role on double-overnight routes.

When I used to ride in Superliner Sleepers, the upper-level lavatory would be dirty all the time and the lower level ones would be virtually unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back