Palmetto to Savannah or Charleston?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi,

Still umming and errring over my forthcoming trip. I am leaning more towards rail and greyhound again, than car hire.

I have not been to Savannah or Charleston, I can read up about them, but if anyone has any strong advice about their similarities or differences, I would be obliged. I am not into fine dining or shopping, but history, museums, architecture, local music, etc all float my boat.

Ed :cool:

Many similarities. But Charleston has the rich Civil War history, while Savannah has the home of the founder of the Girl Scouts (in America). What excites you? War or peace?

Rent a car when you get to either city. A couple of hours south of Savannah are the Marshes of Glynn, read the poem by Sidney Lanier and decide. An hour or so north is Beaufort, S.C., with the Sea Islands (and more marshes) and the Gullah culture remnant of Angola (Angola-Gullah, say it and get it) preserved by the ex-slaves (and in a museum in a former school for Freedmen).

Don't think you can go wrong with either city. History, museums, architecture. And get there before rising sea levels destroy them, if you can.

I'm sorta partial to Savannah, myself. But I haven't spent much time in Charleston. From what I've seen, there are many similarities. Charleston seems to appeal to a better-to-do crowd with higher end boutiques. But from an historical standpoint and tourist eye, both are wonderful examples of the Antebellum South.

There are MANY museums in the downtown Savannah area - much of which are accessible by the DOT bus (see www.catchacat.org). There used to be a streetcar that ran for a year or two, but now sits idle in it's little shed on the West end of River Street. Watching container ships pass under the Talmadge Bridge is a favorite pastime of mine.

Both Savannah and Charleston played important roles in not only the Civil War, but also the Revolutionary War (err... war of Western aggression? :D ) Fort Pulaski, towards Tybee Island was built by the Union Army, then occupied by the South, then surrendered back to the North. (no public transit to/from. Taxi shouldn't be too expensive) Churches in Savannah (ie: First Baptist) would host Confederate soldiers one week, then Union soldiers the next. The Owens-Thomas house (a fine example of English Regency architecture) hosted Marquis de Lafayette in 1825.

Much to see and do. I'm sure Charleston offers just as much (if not more). You'll just have to do both!

My friend Venture Forth posted ahead of me, you might want to PM him since he's very familiar with Savannah!),

Both cities have plenty of what you're looking for Eddie, but Unfortunately they tend to be pricey as they cater to affluent tourists but overall Savannah is probably less expensive! I've never stayed in a hotel in either place since I have relatives in both, Google would be your friend here as they both tend to be busy in the fall when its not so hot and humid, so Reservations would be a good idea!

If you had to pick just one, I'd say Charleston has more historical stuff ( at one time as a Major Seaport it was more Important and Bigger than Atlanta)and Savannah is more of an Old South/Plantation type City! Good food in both places but Savannah has the edge here IMO!

Amtrak stops in both places but the calling times are bad and the stations are located in out of the way areas!

I'd look into the Discount Bus Lines like Mega Bus, Bolt etc although Greyhound can be competitive especially when booked early on line!

Last edited by a moderator:
True dat - right near the Greyhound station. It was really poor when I moved here 7 years ago. But it has improved vastly. It's still nothing like the Spencer Shops in Spencer, NC, but I digress...

The calling times are bad for Savannah. The Southbound Palmetto arrives around 9 PM. The Southbound Meteor is here by 6:30 AM, but the Star is the early riser at around 4:30 AM. Leaving, the Palmetto leaves first at around 8:30 AM followed by the Meteor at around 7:30 PM, then the Star at around 1:30 AM. If you have a lasso and a handcar, you might could hitch onto the Autotrain at around 10 PM NB or 3 AM SB.

A cab will cost less than $20 from the station to the heart of historic Downtown Savannah.

Don't know about discount busses - have only seen Greyhound here. But I think Amtrak should suit fine.

I've been to both cities. They are both historic and well worth your time for a visit. I personally prefer Savanah.
I also, but then I'm a little more familiar with Savannah and its surrounding areas. Do some more snooping on line to see which sounds better to you. In either case, enjoy your visit to the South!

In terms of inexpensive places to stay I had an excellent time in Charleston (haven't been to Savannah yet) staying at the Charleston Hostel. It I know also has private rooms (and quite a few more mature travelers also staying there).

In fact, if I may be so bold... If you come down on a Silver (Meteor has a better calling time of 6:44 AM from the North), spend a day or two in Savannah, take the Palmetto to Charleston (arrive around 10 AM) spend a couple days, then you have a nice post-check out departure back on the Meteor at 9:30 PM to points North.

Since only the Meteor and Palmetto serve Charleston, you may even want to brave the STAR coming into Savannah (with a 4:30 AM arrival) to enjoy three different trains (with two different routings) on your visit.

I'm excited for you and a little bit jealous!

Both are great cities worthy of a visit, about the same size and about the same geography and demographics. Charleston has more of a blue-blood reputation than Savannah. Both have modernist passenger stations (neither in downtown) from the 1950-1960 period. Personally I prefer Savannah.

In fact, if I may be so bold... If you come down on a Silver (Meteor has a better calling time of 6:44 AM from the North), spend a day or two in Savannah, take the Palmetto to Charleston (arrive around 10 AM) spend a couple days, then you have a nice post-check out departure back on the Meteor at 9:30 PM to points North.

Since only the Meteor and Palmetto serve Charleston, you may even want to brave the STAR coming into Savannah (with a 4:30 AM arrival) to enjoy three different trains (with two different routings) on your visit.

I'm excited for you and a little bit jealous!
Excellent advice on the connections from Savannah to Charleston. We like Charleston for its fantastic harbor with the horse drawn tours of ante bellum homes and a trip out to Fort Sumter is a must for the history buffs. We also enjoyed the railroad museum in Savannah.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

One odd thing, I read somewhere recently about the Gulla area, and the way they paint their ceilings to ward off evil, but I can't for the life of me recall which book! I looked back over several recent reads but no luck so far... one of life's little coincidences. I did look up the poem about the Marshes of Glynn too, Mr Lanier was quite keen!

As to liking war or peace, I see scouts as having a slightly military shade originally, maybe not so much the girl scouts...?

I would probably stick with the Palmetto for views as it is a daylight train southbound... Might go down to Key West after Savannah, that has been on my to do list for a long time. A Greyhound from Miami looks the best bet if I do that... Exciting all these options and plans!

So far I just have booked my arrival in NYC and a same day train to WAS, and a few days there to look at the museums. Need to firm up my bookings!

There used to be an old shack barbeque joint (literally a shack) run by a Gullah family (Note: There are "Geechee" and "Gulla" folks around here. Similar backgrounds, with the Geechee generally in Georgia and the Gullah in SC.). Excellent food, but they are gone now. :(

For what it is worth, I've seen a Bible written in Gullah and it's fascinating the dialect in written form. Everyone's favorite camping ballad, "Kumbaya" is alleged to have come from the Gullah, being a heavily accented way of saying "Come by Here (my Lord)".

As for Key West, I'm really sorry (for myself, too) that Flagler's railroad all the way to Key West is no longer.

Flagler's would have been a great ride!

I was rather surprised to hear that Angola was an area where people were enslaved, I had imagined it was more central, such as Ghana.

An additional question: Is there any weather preference with visiting this region.. I can visit first week or so of September, or leave it towards the end of October. Warm weather, sunshine and blue sky would be nicest!

I'd do the NE in September Eddie! It starts cooling off in late October there, but the trees are turning in New England so it's a great time to be in NE!?

October is your best bet for visiting the South and Southeast US! The Hurricanes should be over and you'll have warm.sunny days with cool evenings away from the Coast in the Highlands!

Come to think of it, October is the brst time to visit most places inthe States!

Early September in the South can still be very warm (read "hot" to those from cooler climates), and the South's humidity bothers some. October is usually mild, so Jim's suggestion should work for you. By the end of October it's cooling down but should still be pleasant fall weather.

I totally agree with October, later is better.

I'm from Minnesota, but that's not the only reason for favoring later in October -- first - fewer visitors, less crowds, (but still good crab (or oyster) -feasts etc.) - second -better weather.

The one time I visited Charleston was for 5 days in February - highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's. How I like it. (Yes, it might be at lot cooler that time of year)

It all depends on what temps and humidity you like and are used to.

Savannah I don't know, but Charleston I know is cool (conceptually, not temperature)

Me, I think of a trip to Halifax NS, (or Ullapool if I could afford it) as a warm vacation in January.

Be prepared to do a lot of walking, (again depending on your heat tolerance) - there's so much to see on the Charleston Peninsula.

Weather can be iffy. Obviously no way of telling about the future. Hurricane season is technically until November 30th. October is pretty decent. September is still quite hot. We've had a hot Summer so far this year, and LOTS of rain (Savannah). It's been knocking at 100-degrees (38-degrees, C), and August is just now here.

All the winds of weather opinion seem to be blowing in one direction... October.

I will alter my plans and visit the south east at the end of my trip, instead of at the start. One bonus of that decision is that I can leave WAS on Sunday 31st Aug on the Cardinal train, a first ride on this route for me.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back