Enough time to transfer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HoopTroop

Hello-I am super new to this, so thank you in advance! If the website is offering me a connection time and they state that I can connect from MKE in CHI to NOL with a 51 min layover, is this a smart option? I will have checked luggage in MKE, I am bringing a child just a day shy of 2 years old, but I will have my other half. Will our luggage transfer easily, will we transfer easily? I could get into CHI 3.5 hours earlier, but that seems like a long time to hang with a toddler. This will be in December, train options are 348 and 340.

That can be cutting it a bit close. It works in your favor that the Hiawatha tends to be pretty punctual. In terms of your baggage, Amtrak will transfer it to your next train (as an airline would if your itinerary has a connection). Once you hand it over in MKE, you don't have to worry about it until you arrive in NOL.

Are you in sleeping accommodations on the City of New Orleans, or in coach? If you are in a sleeper, you get complimentary access to the metropolitan lounge in Chicago. When you get off of the Hiawatha, head straight there and the Amtrak agents in the lounge will take you out to your train. If not, you can flag a red cap down and request assistance. They will help with whatever carry-on bags you might have, and will lead you to your next train (be sure to have a few bucks for a tip if you go this route).

Your connection to the CONO is guaranteed, which means that if 340 is late, and you miss your train, Amtrak will rebook you on the next day's train, and put you up in a hotel/pay for meals. Obviously this isn't an ideal situation, but Amtrak will take care of you if the connection is missed.

It really comes down to your comfort level. Have you been to Chicago Union Station before? How well do you know it? It is much smaller than an airport (you can walk to any of the other tracks within 5 minutes). How well have you and family done in similar situations before?

If there's any significant doubt in your mind, I'd book the itinerary with the larger amount of connection time, but at the same time, assuming that the Hiawatha isn't late, 50 min certainly is doable.

Hiawathas probably have the best on-time record in the Amtrak system. If Amtrak will sell you a ticket with that connection, they will guarantee it. If the Hiawatha is late, they may hold the CONO or you get a night in Chicago on Amtrak's money. But I wouldn't sweat that connection.

Thank you for the great replies. We do have a bedroom, so we will head right to the lounge. I have not been to CHI station in 30 years, but feel confident navigating it. Lets say that there is a huge storm or something right around travel day, since MKE to CHI is unreserved seats, can we just show up at the earlier departure time with the current e-tickets we have?

I've made that connection from Hiawatha to City of New Orleans a number of times without any problems. One time we were a little bit late into Chicago on the Hiawatha (can't recall how late), which meant that we walked from the Hiawatha to the line for the City of New Orleans. But, whether for inclement weather or simply peace of mind, you can certainly take an earlier Hiawatha that day if you'd prefer.

Yes you can.
Thank you for the reply...Side question,I have noticed many say I can drop off luggage earlier in the day at the MKE station. There is a station MKA much closer to my house but no luggage drop off. Can I drop off luggage earlier in day and then get on at the MKA station and avoid any issues such as my ticket not being scanned at MKE and my bedroom cancelled because I got on at MKA?

A cheaper parking option would to get on at SVT (Sturtavent), 30 day parking for a flat fee of $5, and not that far south of MKA. Down side is no luggage check :-( but a dollar cheaper ride and cheaper parking ;-) I use this station a lot for my long distance trips.

You would probably be OK dropping off luggage at MKE but boarding at MKA, provided your tickets are MKE-CHI, not just MKA-CHI. In my experience, the conductors rarely check tickets between MKE and MKA, typically waiting until after MKA.

Unfortunately not. You have to get on at the station where your baggage is checked.
Are you sure about this? I've heard differently from other travelers on this forum, and in 2012 when I was leaving Washington, I checked my luggage direct from there back to Texas on a ticket from NYP-NOL-HOS (I had a day trip planned to New York City). They never questioned this or spoke a word about there being an issue. I would at least ask the ticket agents at MKE about the possibility.

Again, thank you for the information. Our tickets are MKE to NOL via CHI. We are not parking, since we are super close to MKA, and we are gone for over 2 weeks, we are being dropped off. Lets say no other passenger bought a ticket to get on/off at MKA that day, does the train still stop? For that matter, do they still stop at all stations if there is no pre-sale tickets? Thank you all again!

My recommendation is that you go to the MKE ticket office, in advance, and talk to them. I strongly suspect that they will tell you that if you want to board at MKA, that you have your originating ticket changed to show this. If the conductor scans tickets of passengers on at MKE and you are not there, it is possible that you will be deemed a no-show and that the rest of your reservation will be cancelled. Obviously this would be a Bad Thing. Tell them that, optimally, you would like to check your baggage the night before at MKE and then board the train the next day at MKA. I think that they should be able to tell you a way you can achieve both objectives. For the return trip, keep your destination as MKE; nobody will notice or care if you actually detrain a stop early at MKA.

MKA is not a flag stop, it is a normally scheduled stop, so the train will stop there regardless. I've taken the Hiawatha dozens of times, and there are always people getting on or off at MKA (fewer than CHI and MKE, but more than Glenview and Sturtevant). Also, I cannot remember a time that, leaving MKE, tickets were checked before MKA - sometimes after MKA, more often after SVT.

My recommendation is that you go to the MKE ticket office, in advance, and talk to them. I strongly suspect that they will tell you that if you want to board at MKA, that you have your originating ticket changed to show this. If the conductor scans tickets of passengers on at MKE and you are not there, it is possible that you will be deemed a no-show and that the rest of your reservation will be cancelled. Obviously this would be a Bad Thing.
Since Hiawathas are unreserved, there's no such thing as a no-show.

Hello-I went to MKE and talked with the agents there, they stated I can drop off the luggage at any time after they open on day of travel and that I can get on at the MKA station no problem. So this works wonderfully for me and my family! Thank you for all of your assistance and suggestions! We are beyond stoked for this trip, we are headed to a cruise once we arrive and spend time in NOLA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back