Superliner Roomettes 1-10

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciship

Service Attendant
Is there any preference to which roomette is better # 1-10 on a superliner (City of New Orleans)? Going from Chicago to New Orleans, is one side of the train more scenic than the other from the roomette? For sleeping, is the middle of the car smoother?

The Superliner cars are not always aligned in the same direction. So the odd number rooms could be on the left side of the train in one car, and the right side of the train in the next car. You don't know what side you will be on until you board. Number 1 room is for the Sleeper Car Attendant. Of the remaining rooms, it depends on your personal preference. Some people don't like the rooms close to the car end because they can hear the door open every time someone goes through. Others like to be in the center to be closer to the restrooms and the coffee stations.

For the best overall ride your best bet is probably Room #2-#6! #2 is across from the SCA in #1 amd is next to the coffee and juoce station, the upstairs restroom and the stairs! Avoid #11-#14 unless you like being downstairs!

Next to the door, next to the coffee, middle, up stairs, downstairs, right side, left side, I'm Game!!!! :hi:

Have Fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us don't like #2 precisely because it is close to the SCA, coffee and restroom. Lots of activity, and a banging restroom door at night. I prefer to walk just a few steps further, and get a better night's sleep, so #4, 5, 6 and 7 are my faves :giggle:

I like the lower level rooms for quicker access to the shower.
Also anything at the lower level sways much less. I also like the lower level because if necessary I can whip out my bottle of Fantastik and some paper towels and clean up my window at any smoke stop where it is on the platform side. I have had people including the SCA watch with amusement as I attacked my extremely dirty window and made it the cleanest in the car at times! :) One time, my next door neighbor even borrowed my equipment to treat his window too!

Also anything at the lower level sways much less. I also like the lower level because if necessary I can whip out my bottle of Fantastik and some paper towels and clean up my window at any smoke stop where it is on the platform side. I have had people including the SCA watch with amusement as I attacked my extremely dirty window and made it the cleanest in the car at times! :) One time, my next door neighbor even borrowed my equipment to treat his window too!
I would expect the lower level windows get dirtier (closer to the ground, etc), but I haven't really observed whether that's the case. I will try to look next time, ha, ha!

I've done the same. I have no problem with lower level!

I booked # 6. Thank you for all the great info. I love this website forum!

The upper level rooms are fine. 9-10 are over the trucks so a rougher ride.
I think 7, 8, 9 and 10 are equally right on top of the truck....

superliner_I_sleeper.jpg

No. 1, as stated, is the Attendant's room (centrally located, and it has the annunciator board so the Attendant can tell who is calling when the call button is pushed). No. 2 is across the hall from no. 1. Directly below them are 11 and 12. These rooms will have the smoothest ride because they are as close as you can get to the middle of the car. Next choice would be 3 and 4 upstairs, or 13 and 14 downstairs. Some say the ride downstairs is smoother because there is more lateral sway upstairs, but I've never noticed a difference. Sometimes it's a bit noisier downstairs because it's closer to the track. There is only one restroom upstairs, but on the other hand that's where the coffee is. There are 3 public restrooms downstairs, plus the shower.

The roughest ride is over the trucks and draft gear at the end (i.e. 7, 8, 9, and 10).

"Ya pays ya money an' ya takes ya choice."

Tom

No. 1, as stated, is the Attendant's room (centrally located, and it has the annunciator board so the Attendant can tell who is calling when the call button is pushed). No. 2 is across the hall from no. 1. Directly below them are 11 and 12. These rooms will have the smoothest ride because they are as close as you can get to the middle of the car. Next choice would be 3 and 4 upstairs, or 13 and 14 downstairs. Some say the ride downstairs is smoother because there is more lateral sway upstairs, but I've never noticed a difference. Sometimes it's a bit noisier downstairs because it's closer to the track. There is only one restroom upstairs, but on the other hand that's where the coffee is. There are 3 public restrooms downstairs, plus the shower.

The roughest ride is over the trucks and draft gear at the end (i.e. 7, 8, 9, and 10).

"Ya pays ya money an' ya takes ya choice."

Tom
The last couple of times I was in 2, the attendant stored things in 1, but took an empty bedroom. How often do they really use 1 for sleeping?

Attendant sleeping in a room other than no. 1:

If a room is empty and the SCA can use it, that's a luxury that shouldn't be missed. If you have an opportunity to get some guaranteed shuteye (meaning somebody else has the responsibility of keeping an eye on your car), you jump at the chance. If you try to sleep in no. 1 and somebody pushes the call button, the annunciator will probably interrupt your sleep. Since you are probably getting only about 4 hours' sleep anyway, you'll probably do what you can to make it uninterrupted sleep. And while the other attendant is getting his sleep, you watch his car. The left hand washes the right & vice versa.

Tom

Tom

The Superliners are equipped with a provision for the call button annunciator to ring in the next car either ahead or behind just for this purpose. I also know that in the Sunset derailment where the SCA was fatally injured that Amtrak fought against any settlement with his survivors because he was not sleeping in his assigned roomette but in a bedroom. Amtrak contended that if he were sleeping parallel to the rail he would not have suffered the injuries that he succumbed to.

Oldtimer

I happen to prefer the upper level rooms. I don't find a lot of difference among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back