Coach Passengers visiting Sleeper Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciship

Service Attendant
My daughter and I will be in the sleeper car (bedroom or Family bedroom), but my son and nephew are riding coach. Will they be able to come visit us during the day in our sleeper bedroom to play cards and such?

They shouldn't be, but it'll depend on the car attendant.

That's what the lounge car is for.
This. I once was able to show my girlfriends family my roomette. But that was the only good thing about that attendant. He was a miserable old man who didn't do jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Daughter is 18, and son and nephew are 21. We wanted a quiet, private place to do our Bible studies. Lounge car can get loud and disruptive at times depending on who's traveling.

Daughter is 18, and son and nephew are 21. We wanted a quiet, private place to do our Bible studies. Lounge car can get loud and disruptive at times depending on who's traveling.
If you order food, you can sit in the bottom of the lounge car, in the cafe. It's generally much quieter down there, as there are only a few tables and not many people sit down there (the attendant usually chases people out if they aren't eating).

I would look at it from the SCA perspective. Being in a sleeper, I kind of expect a certain amount of security, only those who are paying to be in the car, should be in the car. It is easier for the SCA to say no all the time, then do it on a person by person basis.

Also look at the sleeper room etiquette thread. Would your bible studies be disturbing to other passengers? I know any discussion about religion might be taken the wrong way, I hope this isn't. If I was a religious person who needed to pray daily, I would be concerned about disturbing the other passengers. I don't know what your Bible studies involve.

Bruce-SSR

As a TA, I often allowed family members to visit with their sleeper-accommodated family. In particular, there was a group of 5 Amish, all family, but only the grandmother and granddaughter were actually booked for the Family Room. I was absolutely fine with their hanging out together in the room during the day, and made sure the diner staff knew it was OK with me. As long as they're not sleeping in the room, I see no reason not to allow family to visit in the sleeper; it's part of the "give 'em the pickle" attitude that some management are trying to instill in a lot of the older crew members.

From what I've seen at cafes and such, it's like a book group. Someone leads the discussion, and others might chime in or just take notes. It's usually a calm, quiet conversation, just like a study group.

Unless they're singing hymns (which I doubt), I don't think it would bother other passengers any more than other people talking in their roomette. During the day, this shouldn't be an issue, as quiet conversations are totally okay.

(If it's allowed, of course.)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen at cafes and such, it's like a book group. Someone leads the discussion, and others might chime in or just take notes. It's usually a calm, quiet conversation, just like a study group.

Unless they're singing hymns (which I doubt), I don't think it would bother other passengers any more than other people talking in their roomette. During the day, this shouldn't be an issue, as quiet conversations are totally okay.

(If it's allowed, of course.)
I agree with what you say.

Bruce-SSR

I don't understand why this should be any sort of problem. It's your room. You paid a lot of money for it. If you wish to host visitors who have also paid to be on the train, why shouldn't you be able to, within reason and as long as you aren't unreasonably disturbing other passengers? It isn't like one is hosting a private party with a dozen raucous people. Visiting with a friend (old or newfound on the train) or family members in your compartment just seems to be natural and something that should be accommodated upon the sleeper passenger's desire and request.

If I were the inquiring passenger who started this thread, I'd simply make my desires known to the car attendant when s/he first came by to visit ("I have a couple of family members, adult children and a nephew, riding coach section who I would like to visit with daytimes in my compartment for companionship and conversation.") I don't see why they should object. And, if the attendant does object, insist even to the extent of taking the issue as far as the conductor.

I don't understand why this should be any sort of problem. It's your room. You paid a lot of money for it. If you wish to host visitors who have also paid to be on the train, why shouldn't you be able to, within reason and as long as you aren't unreasonably disturbing other passengers? It isn't like one is hosting a private party with a dozen raucous people. Visiting with a friend (old or newfound on the train) or family members in your compartment just seems to be natural and something that should be accommodated upon the sleeper passenger's desire and request.

If I were the inquiring passenger who started this thread, I'd simply make my desires known to the car attendant when s/he first came by to visit ("I have a couple of family members, adult children and a nephew, riding coach section who I would like to visit with daytimes in my compartment for companionship and conversation.") I don't see why they should object. And, if the attendant does object, insist even to the extent of taking the issue as far as the conductor.
Unfortunately, some take advantage of the situation! Imagine if several sleeper passengers all had visitors & it got out of hand! You have to think of the SCA as well as other sleeper passengers who paid good money to have piece & quiet!!!! I've experienced (more than a few times) when the sleeper passengers, themselves, got out of hand! Just make it simple & respect your fellow sleeper passengers & meet in the lounge!!!!

Unfortunately, some take advantage of the situation! Imagine if several sleeper passengers all had visitors & it got out of hand! You have to think of the SCA as well as other sleeper passengers who paid good money to have piece & quiet!!!! I've experienced (more than a few times) when the sleeper passengers, themselves, got out of hand! Just make it simple & respect your fellow sleeper passengers & meet in the lounge!!!!
I really do understand this. I can only imagine that it could easily get out of hand. I'll just check with our attendant once we board. Thank you all!

I don't understand why this should be any sort of problem. It's your room. You paid a lot of money for it. If you wish to host visitors who have also paid to be on the train, why shouldn't you be able to, within reason and as long as you aren't unreasonably disturbing other passengers?
While what you said is true (that all paid to be on the train)), some only paid to be in coach, not in a sleeper. If the SCA is OK with a visit during the day, fine! But if someone who paid for coach wants to stay overnight and/or get free meals in the Dining Car, I'm against that.
If i buy a coach ticket on an international flight, but want to go up to First Class and drink Champagne, should I be allowed? After all, i did pay to be on that flight to Asia!

Cary Grant wouldn't have been able to share Eva Marie Saints Drawing Room on the 20th Century Ltd if the Pullman Porter and Conductors had been doing their jobs!
Weren't they both traveling in Pullman accommodations? Darn, I can't remember, guess another viewing is in order! :)

Cary Grant wouldn't have been able to share Eva Marie Saints Drawing Room on the 20th Century Ltd if the Pullman Porter and Conductors had been doing their jobs!
Weren't they both traveling in Pullman accommodations? Darn, I can't remember, guess another viewing is in order! :)
The 20th Century was an all-Pullman train, so Cary wouldn't have been a coach passenger, but maybe he was a stowaway, I also need to view the film again.

He was a stowaway because the 20th Century was Sold Out when he tried to snag a Bedroom @ GCT! He pulled the old " I'm just seeing a friend off!" story with the Gate Conductor when he snuck aboard the Train!

Eva Marie had a drawing room, met him in the hall, and hooked up with him by bribing the Steward in the Diner!("How's the Trout?" Very Trouty!")

She had stolen the Pullman Porters Berth Key so Cary could hide in the top bunk when the Gerdames came to her room!"

A Classic, always worth another viewing!

Suppose a sleeper passenger meets a coach passenger, and they -- strike it off? And suppose the sleeper passenger wants the coach passenger to join him or her in the privacy in their room so they can, ...... watch the scenery????

Suppose a sleeper passenger meets a coach passenger, and they -- strike it off? And suppose the sleeper passenger wants the coach passenger to join him or her in the privacy in their room so they can, ...... watch the scenery????
Still not okay unless they clear the visitation with the SCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back