Sleeper room etiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Star rider

Service Attendant
I am curious, what things should one be conscience of being in a sleeper so one doesn't have to worry about disturbing other sleeper passengers?

People who travel with scanners have been warned about using headphones when listening. I am guessing that is more for coach then sleeper passengers? Unless the nature of how the scanner works, silence followed by loud sound, sometimes not even peoples voices, people find disturbing. Even in a sleeper, as long as the scanner isn't too loud, I don't think I could disturb other passengers??

I have heard a occasional flush overnight, but never considered it disturbing. I would think not flushing to be more of a problem.

I may watch a DVD or other type video in the night, but I don't think loud enough to bother other passengers.

Other things anyone may want to add??

Bruce-SSR

When using any audio device including scanners, laptops, dvd players, etc,. and especially mobile phones, it should be common courtesy to ALWAYS use ear phones. The wall between sleepers are very thin and all sounds carry even "talking".

Sound carries quite a bit. Please use headphones for anything with sound, even if your door is closed.

I don't mind flushing since that's a sound that's obviously out of that person's control. I'm not going to get annoyed with someone for using the restroom at 3:00 AM. :p

I guess because electronic noise from other passengers has never been a problem for me. I always just assumed that all the background train noise simply drowned it out.

Now, the noise from a slamming compartment door, now that's another story. On one trip, the roomette next to ours was apparently being jointly used with several people from coach. I guess they took turns using the roomette to sleep for one hour at a time. Each time they swapped out, they always managed to slam the door shut at least one time.

I guess because electronic noise from other passengers has never been a problem for me. I always just assumed that all the background train noise simply drowned it out.

Now, the noise from a slamming compartment door, now that's another story. On one trip, the roomette next to ours was apparently being jointly used with several people from coach. I guess they took turns using the roomette to sleep for one hour at a time. Each time they swapped out, they always managed to slam the door shut at least one time.
I would think the SCA wouldn't allow that. I was once advised, at one point I may have had a friend join me, I was riding on points, but not sure if this friend was coming with me or not. I was thinking having this friend get a last minute coach seat, then join me in the sleeper. I was advised the SCA wouldn't allow that.

Bruce-SSR

Sound carries quite a bit. Please use headphones for anything with sound, even if your door is closed.

I don't mind flushing since that's a sound that's obviously out of that person's control. I'm not going to get annoyed with someone for using the restroom at 3:00 AM. :p
So I guess... my screaming therapy is definitely a no no ;)

Bruce-SSR

So I guess... my screaming therapy is definitely a no no ;)

Bruce-SSR
No. :)

Some passengers were watching a DVD without headphones during the final leg of my trip this week. I could hear it even with my door shut.

I asked them if they could please use headphones, and they told me they didn't have any. So I offered to let them borrow my headphones and earbuds so they could both watch it, and they said no and to "just shut [my] door". (Seriously?!?) That's when my face morphed into that expression you see in my avatar.

I was about to tell the SCA, but he came down the hall at that exact moment and told them to either use headphones or turn it off. Ha. ^_^ Busted.

On Superliners, there's a sliding door between rooms B&C and between rooms D&E. In general it doesn't close tightly and even quite voices can be heard, if not understood, from the next bedroom. Also, that door tends to rattle. Consider taking something with you that can be stuffed into the door and the wall it slides into for rattle control. I've often used a flattened, folded plastic water bottle.

BN

On Superliners, there's a sliding door between rooms B&C and between rooms D&E. In general it doesn't close tightly and even quite voices can be heard, if not understood, from the next bedroom. Also, that door tends to rattle. Consider taking something with you that can be stuffed into the door and the wall it slides into for rattle control. I've often used a flattened, folded plastic water bottle.

BN
Thanks, this is very bothersome as it seemed the tracks we were on overnight made the door bounce more then during the day.

Bruce

As others have mentioned - use headphones for scanners, music, DVDs, movies etc. I was terribly bothered by a neighbors scanner on one trip. He was next door to me and I could hear it through the wall.

Anyone ever have a problem with very 'aromatic' type food??

Bruce-SSR
Not in the sleepers. Sometimes I can smell pizza that someone brought up from the lounge cafe, but that's about it (and I don't mind that smell - yum!)

I usually keep my door shut anyway. That inch or so of space between the bottom of the door and the floor isn't enough to let in a ton of smells.

That's just my experience, though. There may be another member who was assaulted with onions in curry sauce or something similar. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I like the least preferred bedroom--A. No connecting doors. Just the continual opening of the vestibule door.

Life is a bunch of trade-offs.

Bedroom sleepers, "nasty" sounds can be heard by your room next door! Have the courtesy to do a "courtesy flush" or when the train is moving really fast (lots of noise) to "mask" those sounds if possible please.

I have heard some pretty gross sounds coming from neighboring toilets.

- If the train is a rockin', don't come a knockin'.
- Not everyone may appreciate your wonderful singing.
- Not everyone may appreciate your taste in ethnic cuisine.
- Not everyone may agree with your comfort level of nighttime attire.
- Not everyone may appreciate your ability to play the guitar or the drums.

- Not everyone may appreciate your knowledge of a particular holy scripture.
- Not everyone may appreciate how much you love them after a few bottles of your favorite libation.
:blush:

- Not everyone may appreciate how much you love them after a few bottles of your favorite libation.

Cue up George Strait singing: " I Hate Everything!" LOL

Cue up George Strait singing: " I Hate Everything!" LOL
Just ensure headphones are used. :D

Loud talking also carries. I remember once on the TE, the SCA had to come down to the folks in the sleeper a couple doors down from me (this was on the lower level) and tell them to tone it down. And she also later had to ask them not to carry their booze outside of their sleeper room.

I think there was probably a link between the booze and the loud talking.

I wasn't TOO bothered by it (just put my earplugs in), but yeah, anything louder than normal coversation volume can be heard in other sleepers. Watch what you're saying in your cell phone convo, if that sort of thing matters to you!

(You can also hear crying or fussy babies, but I tend to give them a pass. Unless the "fussy baby" is actually an adult....)

In general, don't do avoidable things that would bother you if your neighbors did them, considering the thin walls. Some things aren't avoidable of course.

And yes I know, YMMV.

Personally I think everyone should just be put to sleep and stored like luggage. That way, nobody bothers anybody. ;)

I find the bathrooms on the sleepers to be cleaner that the coaches and I think it is because Sleeper pax tend to clean up bathrooms with a little more care. I alway try and leave the restrooms clean. That's good etiquette.

I find the bathrooms on the sleepers to be cleaner that the coaches and I think it is because Sleeper pax tend to clean up bathrooms with a little more care. I alway try and leave the restrooms clean. That's good etiquette.
Probably a lot fewer passengers per bathroom as well. But I do use the paper towel I just dried my hands with to mop up the counter top before I toss it.

Probably a lot fewer passengers per bathroom as well. But I do use the paper towel I just dried my hands with to mop up the counter top before I toss it.
Ditto. I'm pretty sure others do the same thing because it always looks recently-wiped when I go in there.

I wish there were a way to adjust that water pressure, though. No matter how gently I press the taps in the Superliner IIs, the water hits my hands and sprays my shirt every. single. time.

These taps:

oldsink.jpg

Agree -- and the bathrooms in the transdorm were cleaner still --

I do always wipe down the counter-top and the sink after using the restroom on Amtrak - and put the used paper towel in the waste-basket (never down the loo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back