what's it like to cross the US/Canada border on Amtrak trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DennyM

what's it like to cross the US/Canada border on Amtrak trains?

Do all passengers have to get off the train for inspections at either US or Canadian side?(depending on direction of the train)

We are all U.S. citizens, if that makes any difference. :)

Thanks!

if the train is completely full, will the border inspection cause the train to run late? or do they build this into the schedule?

It depends on the train your taking. But yes the train can run late if CBP holds it up.

pdgdf
if border delays cause the train to be late, how does Amtrak handle passengers who miss their connecting trains at NYP?

Thanks!

Like they do any other delay. If the delay isn't that long they'll probably hold the train. If it's going to quite the delay may put you up overnight and you catch the next train, or if it's somewhere in the middle they may bus you at some point to catch your train (depending on the trains).

peter

There are three trains that cross the US/Canadian Border!

1)The Cascades between Seattle and Vancouver, BC. Customs and Immigration is done in Pacific Central Station in Vancouver! ( there are also AM buses between the two cities) They are usually very fast and friendly!

2)The Adirondack between New York and Montreal- Customs and Immigration is done on the Train @ the Border although some passengers may be taken off the train for various reasons!) There has been a plan for several years to move this to the Rail Station in Montreal but nothing yet!) This can be slow when the train is full!)

3) The Maple Leaf between New York and Toronto-Once the train crosses the Niagara River @ Niagara Falls into Canada the Train stops @ the VIA Rail Station and a Crew Change is done from Amtrak to VIA Crews and it goes from being an Amtrak Train to a VIA Train!

Passengers take their Luggage and go into the Station to be checked by Canadian Border officials! (Business Class gets to go first!) Once everyone is cleared you reboard the Train! This can be very slow if the trsinis full or any problems come up!

On the return to the States the Train becomes an Amtrak Train again @ the VIA Station in Niagara Falls, Ontario but US Customs and Immigration is done on the US side inside the Amtrak Station! These guys can be unfriendly and Very Slow,the worst I've seen crossing between Canada and the US!!!

2)The Adirondack between New York and Montreal- Customs and Immigration is done on the Train @ the Border although some passengers may be taken off the train for various reasons!) There has been a plan for several years to move this to the Rail Station in Montreal but nothing yet!) This can be slow when the train is full!)
on the Adirondack, I was told that all EU citizens have to get off the train anyway? (or any citizen belonging to visa-waiver countries)

at least that's what my German friend told me....

All visa and visa waiver folks. That is apparently because they have to pay a processing fee. For those arriving by air the airlines act as CBP's bagman and tacks that fee onto the total price of the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Unless it's changed recently, foreigners requiring a visa waiver don't have to leave the train, but are sent down the train to the cafe car where a CBP agent sells you the waiver. I don't remember the fee, but it's payable in US Dollars and in my repeated experience no change is given, so make sure you buy a mix of bills before leaving Montréal.

On the subject of the Montréal Gâre Centrale, I thought works to construct a sterile platform and facilities for USBP preclearance / Canadian customs had already started. Is there any up to date info on if/when this might be introduced?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no up to date info on the proposed preclearance platform in Montreal. The last I heard -- over a year ago -- is that the delay was related to *amending the international treaty* which already covers preclearance in Vancouver. I have no idea why this is difficult.

The designs for the platform are done, and last I heard, I think they were approved by Amtrak, VIA, AMT, Quebec, and IIRC both border control agencies.

Breaking News on Fox:We need to secure the Northern Border before the flood of Canadians coming here for Welfare and Healthcare bankrupts us!

I rode the Cascade from Vancouver to Seattle in business class last month. At the border the agents came on board, asked for our passports and declarations then quickly passed to the next car. No one was asked to disembark, etc., and it was over for our car in five minutes and for the train in about 15 minutes.

Earlier this month, my wife and I crossed into Canada on the Cascades - Customs was conducted in Vancouver at Pacific Central Station. As business class passengers, we went before coach and the process was quick and easy - a few questions and we were on our way.

We re-entered the U.S. on the Adirondack - the train stopped and 10 or so CBP officials got on the train and we sat for over an hour as they made their way through the train (some alone, some in pairs) processing all passengers. One guy was taken off the train, a number of others were directed to the cafe car and later returned. The agent who processed us asked a few questions about where we'd been, how long we'd been in Canada, and if we had anything to declare, then moved on after no more than a minute and a half. I saw no evidence of a Customs processing facility at Montreal's Gare Centrale.

My experience going into Canada is like entering **** Germany. They go over the train with a fine tooth comb, pull passengers off the train and ask everyone a bunch of useless questions, search bags, etc. Coming back into the US is the total opposite. The customs agents are nice and courteous and ask few questions. It always feels good to be back in the US even coming from Canada.

That's funny, because my experience has been the exact opposite. Hooray for polite Canadians.

Aloha

My entries into Canada from the Cascades was pleasant. even the Time my Granddaughter was with me. Heck the Agent was even polite when the 8 yr old girl noticed, and said something about the country flags were incorrectly displayed. This was just after Olympics and it seemed she paid attention to them.

The Return was just as smooth. Wish I could say the same when I flew into and out of Canada.

My experience on the Cascades, which I take farily frequently, is usually like HenryJ's. I have gotten hassled by CBSA at Vancouver there most of the time. They really seem to react to single male travelers there.

And returning, the US agents there are polite and quick.

This isn't a one time occurance. I have been going to Vancouver on the Cascades at least twice a year since the service started in the 1990s, and it is pretty much the same every time. It was the motivation for me to get a Nexus card, to lessen the hassle I get at the hands of CBSA there.

Finally, I am polite, answer all questions and am completely non-confrontational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back