City of New Orleans, Pullman Style

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
Posting from on board Pullman Rail Journeys private cars on the rear of the City of New Orleans, waiting for the 1345 departure. Will try and post updates as I go.

Had business in Louisiana, that just happened to coincide with a Pullman departure. Had been wanting to do this for some time, and a few weeks ago, someone here posted special fare dates-just worked out! Drove down to MSY to drop the rental, and cabbed into New Orleans, for some pre-departure Cafe au Lait and beignets.

Arrived at the station way early, but it was still pretty busy. Unlike Chicago Pullman passengers are not given acces to the Magnolia Lounge due to the small size- no worries, I peeked inside, didn't look too impressive anyway! Hung out just a few minutes before the Pullman crew started making the rounds, handing out badges, and collecting baggage to take to the room. Boarding started just a little after 1300.

Assigned to a double bedroom on the Silver Quail, boarded and found my baggage in the room and a nice amenity bag with toiletries, and a great concept, a tip envelope-no need to tip at meals, lounge, and disembarking, just leave it all in an envelope when you get off. I prefer that.

Porter came by promptly to explain my room, which is slightly smaller but similar in size to a Superliner Bedroom, just no opposing single seat. Cocktails are being served in the dining car ahead of lunch. Looking forward to this trip!

Assuming that the observation car is on the rear today. Is the superdome also in the consist?

Can't wait to hear how the trip was. I am curious if all the meals AND cocktails/beer/wine other beverages are included in the fare?

Will finish it up tomorrow with some pics, but yes, all inclusive. Beer, wine, and enough cocktails to keep me from posting the rest of it on the train !
Wow, that makes it a really great value on those special fare days when it was cheaper than amtrak. I'll definitely have to add this to my list. Looking forward to the full report.

Ok, finally getting back to it-I left off, having cocktails in the diner pre-departure. Someone above asked about what was included-Believe it or not, unlike Amtrak, private stock of alcohol is not permitted on board. Which is fine, since everything is included in your fare-Alcohol included. The cocktails were well done, I stuck with Gin and Tonic's day one, and a couple of Bloody Mary's at breakfast. The old fashioned, and other cocktails looked well prepared as well.

Station was fairly busy before we left-Here's the station, and the train at NOL. The consist was (Front to Rear) a leased sleeper, in Milwaukee Road colors, Minnesota River, followed by the Iowa Pacific ex NYC Dining car (I hear this car used to be on the 20th Century??) my sleeper the Silver Quail, in CBQ Zephyr stainless steel appearance, and tailing the train was the Iowa Pacific observation car Ponchatrain Club. (I understand this car was an ex IC Coach, that was turned into an OBS/SLeeping car for business car purposes. Beautiful car, as they all were!) Pics and more details below.

IMG_2002_zps827a2975.jpg

Station prior to boarding.

IMG_2005_zps9a75e247.jpg

Train backed into the station, Pullman passengers were boarded before the Amtrak sleepers, right after the CONO was coupled up to the Pullman cars. After finding our rooms, the porter came to explain the room, and invite passengers for pre-lunch/departure cocktails in the diner.

IMG_2006_zps10e5bce4.jpg

My sleeper, ex CBQ Silver Quail. All bedroom car, some were larger than others, I had a room about equivilant to a Superliner bedroom, without the opposing single chair. Couch was quite comforatable. Some of the rooms were suites, with free standing tables and chairs as well. Car was meticulously restored, looked just like it would have in the 50's. Quite comforatable, however I was a little disapointed, having heard about the mattresses on the Canadian being so plush, my bed was comforatable, but could feel the couch back under the mattress, was about like the upper bunk in the superliners. Was still nice having a decent blanket, and quality sheets and pillows though! Private toilet, about the size of the superliner, a bit smaller, and wihtout the shower-There was an adequate shower down the hall though.

IMG_2009_zps465f057b.jpg

My room. Sorry for the glare, just phone pics but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2020_zps6bdc659e.jpg

IMG_2016_zpsb45ea1dd.jpg

IMG_2017_zps0872b7f0.jpg

IMG_2012_zps1877d114.jpg

IMG_2041_zps4bbd22e3.jpg

After lunch, spent some time in a REAL Railfan Window. Staring out the back through dirty glass will never be the same again. Met the SB CONO in the swamp, and this little gator hung out watching the meet. Saw several much larger ones too, along with multiple small aligators. Nothing like an open vestibule at 79 MPH!

After a few drinks and conversations in the lounge it was time for dinner in the ex NYC Diner. Crew said it was restored to how it looked when new, in 1947, except then there were a few 2 seat tables on one side in the middle, to allow room for wait staff to pass. Anyone know, was this diner used on the 20th Century Limited? I liked to think it was....Dinner was simple, and tasty, with elegant surroundings. I opted for the steak au pouave, which came with mixed veg and potatos romanov. All were good. The salmon looked fantastic, as did the spinich ravioli. Desert was a choice of lemon muffin (looked like a poppy seed lemon muffin with whipped cream on top-Not too fancy but one of my table mates said it was good) or Bread Pudding with fresh berries. I had that, and it was great with a cup of coffee and cognac!

IMG_2026_zps479377f0.jpg

IMG_2031_zpsd5b85079.jpg

IMG_2030_zps480207da.jpg

IMG_2046_zps09be38df.jpg

After dinner, spent more time in the club car having drinks and conversing. The passengers were interesting, most were high level profesionals, several attorneys, a couple restaraunteurs en route to the big restaraunt convention in Chicago, some in finance, a few active and retired RR'ers, among others. All in all, there were only 19 passengers and 5 crew on the 4 cars, so it was like having a private train almost. Was very nice. I understand there were 40 on board on the way down the day prior.

Got to get out in Memphis and walk a bit, walked into the station, but no ATM (needed some extra cash for the tip envelope, forgot about it in NOL and only got on board with $20! Worked out, ran in at Chicago and got back to give it to them before it pulled out to the servicing tracks) Tunred in after leaving Memphis after a few more beverages in the lounge, and slept till breakfast. Woke up around 0530, got cleaned up, and was in the diner for coffee around 6. Breakfast started around 630. Again, simple but elegant food. The steak and eggs looked great, as did the french toast. I had the hash and eggs, which was fantastic (looks simple, but tasted great) and a few bloody mary's. REALLY wish Amtrak would do cocktails in the evening (sometimes they will make one, sometimes they want you to go to the SSL to get one....as with all things Amtrak, no consistency, everything from no, go to the lounge, to handing you an airline bottle of Gin, ice, and a can of tonic, to once, actually got a made drink with lime.....But I can forgive that, since they serve wine, but would LOVE to get a Bloody Marry like this on Amtrak!

Didn't take any pics after breakfast, had to get to work and listen in to a corp conference call scheduled from 8-10. Finished the last hour in my compartment, arrived CHI on time (I think) and ran in for tip money, then walked to the Orange line, and off to Midway to fly home. Only complaint, is I wish it were a longer route. WOuld loved to have had more time the next day, before arrival, seemed so rushed in the morning, up, breakfast, get off. Would like it to be a 24 hour plus trip, to really get to relax, maybe sleep in a bit. Was a great trip, had a lot of fun, and the crew were great. One thing to remember, is it's Pullman Luxury. In 1947, simply having A/C and a private room to lay down in WAS luxury. The cars are simple, as they were, and I think some expected more. The crew were great, and it was nice not to have annoying station anouncements, dining car anouncements, cafe anouncements, etc-It was quiet, and peaceful. Could easily have done a 2 night trip! Would love to do this on the California Zephyr, maybe someday they'll run a trip or two!

IMG_2047_zps1a395708.jpg

IMG_2048_zps6fd88e87.jpg

IMG_2050_zpsf9282f04.jpg

It was worth every penny. And it was actually much less expensive at the special fare, than a roomette, and might even have been less than a coach fare. The Dutch doors were nice, was a lot of fun. Not sure if it was just tolerated, or allowed by crew, but no one seemed to mind, and the doors stayed open quite a bit. Would prefer a different route, other than the swamps just out of New Orleans, the CONO route isn't high on my must repeat for fantastic scenery list, but the Pullman experience was nice.

Thanks, for the great commentary and photos.

You mentioned that you only came on board with $20 and used a ATM in Chicago to supplement.

What do you recommend for tips?

Rick

Thanks, for the great commentary and photos.

You mentioned that you only came on board with $20 and used a ATM in Chicago to supplement.

What do you recommend for tips?

Rick
I tend to tip well, for excellent service, and the service was indeed fantastic-no was not a word in the crew vocabulary. I went in and hit the ATM for quite a bit more than the $20 I had on hand. There were 5 crew members, wanted to ensure they each were recognized, especially since the passenger load was so light and I assume, tips were less than if the train had been fuller.

Generally, I think $40-50 would be more than adequate, and in line with their suggested tipping guidelines, for the porter, dining car staff, and lounge attendant. I went over and above that on personal preference.

With the reduced fare I paid, even including tips, was still cheaper than I would have had to pay for the base Amtrak roomette fare, and with alcohol included? Much cheaper than buying drinks in the SSL on Amtrak. I hope this service continues, and possibly expands to more routes-I would like to see a future where Pullman type service is again separate from the RR's, there is just no comparison. Time will tell if they can pull it off long term.

Hope you don't mind me asking some questions please?

How was the air conditioning?

Did you do standard tipping at the dining table?

How was the actual ride - bumpy/smooth, etc......

Attire? I notice in your photos many people were casual and comfortable.

My 18-year old daughter wants to know if they have ice cream?

Thank you! Really enjoyed hearing about your experience.

Back