#1 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,323 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

I'm going to Tulsa, OK in June to visit a friend in college. Another friend of ours is attending a wedding in Memphis on Saturday, and then getting up and driving to Tulsa on Sunday morning.

I'm considering taking the CONO to Memphis and arriving at 6:30 Sunday morning, just in time to hop in the car and take a mini-road trip with them to Tulsa.

What's Memphis like that early on a Sunday morning? I'll probably have some time to kill before my friends are up and moving, I would assume the area is safe to hang out in, perhaps to wander around for a while and take pictures?

What's the state of public transportation there? Is it possible to get anywhere to do something on a Sunday morning?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#2 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

There is a diner across the street from the original front of the Memphis station building....... it looks like something right out of the 1950's. This isn't because they are consciously going for a 50's vibe but, rather, a case where they simply haven't seen the need to modernize. You might try going there for a long breakfast over the newspaper. Don't be surprised if Elvis walks in.

To find it, go into the Amtrak station, go down the stairs to the original grand waiting room and then turn right down another flight of stairs to the front door. The place I'm talking about is on the corner directly across the street from you. It's called the Arcade Restaurant.

http://www.panoramio...r=kh.google.com

http://arcaderestaurant.com/

Edited by Notelvis, 06 May 2014 - 03:16 PM.

David Pressley

Advocating for Rail Passenger Service since 1973!

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Downtown Memphis on Sunday morning is pretty quiet after a Saturday night on Beale Street and in the joints!

I think Not Elvis nailed it with the Diner Ryan, there's nothing worth a Bus or Cab ride on Sunday morning and everything else in the Station Area will be Closed!

Enjoy the Breakfast and the Paper!

Edited by jimhudson, 06 May 2014 - 03:51 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users