Less able nowadays...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi,

I have recently encountered some health issues, so now have reduced walking ability. I find a stick helps, and although I don't consider myself to be too badly off, I am wondering if I can use the lower level on Amtrak?

Is there "official" documentation one needs to show to book lower level?

Ed :cool:

Ed,

Sorry to learn of your walking issues. I have a similar condition and often use a cane

to assist in my walking and balance. I always try to get a lower level roomette if possible.

It make it easier to access the shower and toilet. Keep Charging!!

Thanks for the info, I much prefer the upstairs for the views and connectivity to the rest of the train, but lower level might be easier. I seem to have had a bunch of health issues arise this last 18 months, have changed Doctor now (no not Dr Who!) so hope to get better advice. I still have $ cash from my last cancelled trip to spend, so am certainly looking to visit again, probably a train, bus and hire car combo next visit!

Thanks for the info, I much prefer the upstairs for the views and connectivity to the rest of the train, but lower level might be easier. I seem to have had a bunch of health issues arise this last 18 months, have changed Doctor now (no not Dr Who!) so hope to get better advice. I still have $ cash from my last cancelled trip to spend, so am certainly looking to visit again, probably a train, bus and hire car combo next visit!

I hope you have better luck with the new doctor. :)

I found this interesting, because when I called because I saw a lower rate on the sleeper -- I got the cheaper rate, but the person on the phone was putting me into a sleeper at the lower level and she said I couldn't have the sleeper I originally had at the upper level. I had to talk and talk to manage to keep the original sleeper.

Hang in there Ed! There is no documentation needed for lower level coach. And no documentation is needed for a lower level Roomette either. Technically, you need documentation to get the H-Room prior to 15 days before departure. I ask, and say (truthfully) that I use a walker. I have never been asked for it aboard.

have changed Doctor now (no not Dr Who!)
Why not? :huh: Just look how agile he is for someone 960+ years old! :giggle:

I found this interesting, because when I called because I saw a lower rate on the sleeper -- I got the cheaper rate, but the person on the phone was putting me into a sleeper at the lower level
Roomettes are sold 1 or 2 on the upper level, then 1 on the lower level, then some on the upper level, then 1 on the lower level, etc... So the (say) 3rd room sold may cost less than the 2nd or 4th room sold - even though it is on a different level. You may request (say) room 5 & 6 (across the hall) only to be told that they are in different buckets. Some agents know how to reassign buckets, some don't or don't want to do so.

Ed, you don't need any documentation if you prefer to ride the lower level. I'm assuming you mean Roomette, if you need the lower level coach that should show up online or call and tell the agent you need to have lower level. And by all means get a second or third medical opinion if you can. As they say it's not an exact science. I hope a Spring rail journey (or two) will be even better for you than "what the doctor ordered" :)

I found this interesting, because when I called because I saw a lower rate on the sleeper -- I got the cheaper rate, but the person on the phone was putting me into a sleeper at the lower level
Roomettes are sold 1 or 2 on the upper level, then 1 on the lower level, then some on the upper level, then 1 on the lower level, etc... So the (say) 3rd room sold may cost less than the 2nd or 4th room sold - even though it is on a different level. You may request (say) room 5 & 6 (across the hall) only to be told that they are in different buckets. Some agents know how to reassign buckets, some don't or don't want to do so.
Actually, the problem is that the agent simply doesn't know how to properly request the room (or is too lazy to do it right). So instead they do the wrong thing which causes the price to rise while they try to capture the room you've requested.

But the bottom line is that if a room is available any place on the train for say $300, then you can request a specific room in any car on any level and get it for $300. If you get an agent that tells you it will cost more, either ask for a supervisor or hang up and call back to try with another agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back