HHP-8 starting to be retired now?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edjbox

Service Attendant
I heard somewhere that several HHP-8s are already out of service and are not being brought back. Someone please explain which units are "out of service", or any other news related to the HHP-8s status.

From what I've heard as the HHP-8s are developing expensive issues to remedy they're just being taken offline rather than sinking money into them. The same is happening with the AEM-7s.

From poking around certain other forums (railroad dot net) it seems that one HHP-8 has been officially retired.

A few others seem to be sort of sidelined -- officially waiting for repairs, but will probably never run again. I think they're waiting to retire them until the bugs are worked out of the ACS-64s, just in case they need to press them back into service.

The one which was officially retired must have been in extra specially bad shape.

Has anyone heard what will be done with the numbering situation when ACS 650 comes out? Will that mark the end for the HHP-8s or will they get renumbered like the Turbos did when the P-42s were coming out?

Has anyone heard what will be done with the numbering situation when ACS 650 comes out? Will that mark the end for the HHP-8s or will they get renumbered like the Turbos did when the P-42s were coming out?
re# to 680-694

Yes the HHP-8 are getting retired early. However any motor that gets a major issue will be sidelined first, follow by the HHP-8. The Hippo's were a intermediate technological advancement. Some new and old stuff by two different builders. The new ACS-64 are new technologic advances from a proven designs from Europe by one builder.

Bugs will happen, however everyone seem happy so far.

How fast are the acs64s being delivered? It takes time to be pressed into service. If more hhp8s break down, could there be a shortage?

How fast are the acs64s being delivered? It takes time to be pressed into service. If more hhp8s break down, could there be a shortage?
The ACS-64s are reportedly to be built at a rate of 3 per month. The production deliveries have been stalled or intermittent while Amtrak and Siemens were working on fixes and tweaks for the delivered units. #611 is on its way east, if it has not arrived at WAS already. According to a post at rr.net, there is a backlog of more ACS-64s at the Sacramento plant almost ready to ship.

Amtrak has dealt with shortages of working electric locomotives before by running diesels between PHL and WAS. But there is no reason at this time to expect a shortage. The cost of maintenance repairs appears to be the driving factor behind laying up the HHP-8s early. They could repair the to be mothballed units if they determine that there is going to be a serious shortage of working electrics.

What I have is: 650 is stored dead and probably retired, 652 is also stored dead in Wilmington with fire damage, 656 and 662 are retired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is about (non-)retirement of some HHP-8s, intsead of starting a new thread, I thought I will simply add to this thread. If mods prefer they can hive this off as a new thread.

During the NARP Reception on the Hill, I had a chance to speak with a couple of MARC folks from their engineering and equipment department. One interesting tidbit that I learned is that MARC is getting all of their HHP-8s rebuilt with new IGBT drives - work to be performed by Alstom. They will be the high speed workhorses on the NEC with the SC-44s playing second fiddle, since they will by far be better performers being vastly more powerful, and supposedly with far superior torque after the rebuild to modern standards. They have a prototype ready for testing and so far things are going well.

Nice. Although my view may be a distant outlier I've always liked the look of the HHP-8. Much better than those ugly toasters. Even the brand new Chargers look older and uglier to me.

marcHHP-8.gif

Any indication as to whether Amtrak adjusted their rates? I thought Amtrak "overcharging" MARC was one of the reasons they were switching to an all-diesel fleet.

Regardless, good to hear that MARC plans to use electrics on an electrified line.

Thanks, Jishnu. I had heard something about them staying around, but not the rebuild. That's great news.

In semi-related MARC electric news, the 3 remaining MARC toasters put in an appearance down by the grown up trains that still run last week. Wonder what's up with them (said as he glances in a certain poster's direction).

Within the past few weeks a large number of AEM-7 were moved from Wilmington to Bear. Meanwhile almost all of the HHP-8 were moved from Bear to Wilmington. Two AEM-7 should also be part of further movement.

Within the past few weeks a large number of AEM-7 were moved from Wilmington to Bear. Meanwhile almost all of the HHP-8 were moved from Bear to Wilmington. Two AEM-7 should also be part of further movement.
Are these moves related to the requirement to continue maintaining the still-under-lease HHP-8's, or is something more interesting going on? Can I not read between the lines because there's nothing there, or do I just need glasses?

There was an ad in Progressive Railroading a few months back offerring AEM-7 units for sale, as I recall.

Amtrak has its mysterious ways.

ARM-7s going to Bear for storage pending disposal and HHP-8s to Wilmington for periodic maintenance most likely.

This has nothing to do with what MARC is doing with their HHP-8s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these moves related to the requirement to continue maintaining the still-under-lease HHP-8's, or is something more interesting going on? Can I not read between the lines because there's nothing there, or do I just need glasses?

There was an ad in Progressive Railroading a few months back offerring AEM-7 units for sale, as I recall.
Related to bank inspections, acceptance, and turnovers.

Thanks, Jishnu. I had heard something about them staying around, but not the rebuild. That's great news.

In semi-related MARC electric news, the 3 remaining MARC toasters put in an appearance down by the grown up trains that still run last week. Wonder what's up with them (said as he glances in a certain poster's direction).

They have been officially retired. I believe they are making their way to Riverside for disposition.

Since this is about (non-)retirement of some HHP-8s, intsead of starting a new thread, I thought I will simply add to this thread. If mods prefer they can hive this off as a new thread.

During the NARP Reception on the Hill, I had a chance to speak with a couple of MARC folks from their engineering and equipment department. One interesting tidbit that I learned is that MARC is getting all of their HHP-8s rebuilt with new IGBT drives - work to be performed by Alstom. They will be the high speed workhorses on the NEC with the SC-44s playing second fiddle, since they will by far be better performers being vastly more powerful, and supposedly with far superior torque after the rebuild to modern standards. They have a prototype ready for testing and so far things are going well.
I believe 4915 is the prototype. Hopefully, it works out better than the AEM-7 overhaul.

Back