Flexible fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaguars067

Hey all new to the forums with a question I currently have a res from phi to was on 5/4 leaving phi at 8:35 now as I am coming from Atlantic city on NJT was wondering if I moved it up to the 6:55 111 out of PHI and missed that train with a flexable fare would I be able to apply that fare towards a new fare or how would that work? Would have to catch the 4:30 NJT from AC which could be done but it's early and I rather take the 6:55 from Phi but don't wanna miss it and be out money

Yes, with a flexible fare, you can get a 100% refund or voucher at any time.

Is your current reservation also a flexible fare?
My current res is a Value fare, would i be able to change it to the flex for the 111 if i called amtrak and paid the difference?

You're really OK just sticking with the Value Fares:

Value Fares offer several refund options. Value Fare tickets are fully refundable if canceled more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure from the origin but will incur a 10% refund fee if canceled less than 24 hours prior to scheduled departure. Value Fare tickets can be canceled with the ticket value saved as a credit in an eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.
The only hitch is if you're going to miss the 111, you MUST call before 6:55 and move your reservation to the later train. That could potentially be expensive (even with the full credit from your earlier reservation), since you're buying a same-day fare.

Thank you, just wanna make sure as long as i book the 111 and if i miss it i cancel before 6:55 i will be able to apply what i paid for that train to another train?

With the value fare, once 6:55 comes and you didn't cancel or change before then, that fare is non-refundable. With a flexible fare, you still could get a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to take this a little bit offtopic but not really and ask this:

If I run into Penn Station and just miss my train by seconds, am I going to get any sympathy at the CS desk or am I totally SOL with all of the fare forfeited and now forced to buy the next very expensive fare?

That's a situation where I am, say, stuck in the subway because of something and I hope to make it and I would make it if I got there 30 seconds earlier, so the margins are very close and I don't call from the subway or whatever. I know that I should be giving myself a lot more time to get to the station but just imagine this scenario.

I personally make a point to arrive at any station half an hour before my train arrives, unless I am using transit to get there. In which case I try to time it on an arrival thirty minutes prior to arrival, assuming I make at least one misconnect.

For instance, the last train leaves Trenton for my town at 9:30, I try to be on the 8:59. The last bus leaves Trenton at 11:02. I make damned sure I don't miss that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's probably some level of leeway there, but I wouldn't count on it more than once or twice.
I respectfully disagree. I had a moron at 1800usarail change my ticket to a train that had already left (an 11 am instead of 1 pm) and when I noticed at the station they wanted me to pay more again to change my ticket back. The ticket office does not seem to ever want to manually override pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back