Travelling on Amtrak for the first time - Southwest Chief/Wolverine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LarryUSA

Hi everyone,

I will soon be visiting a friend and for the journey I have chosen the train. Now I travel in two days and I'm getting nervous. I will be travelling from Los Angeles to suburban Detroit. As I have never ridden the train before, I have some questions. I will be riding economy/coach.

Are seats assigned? Can coach passengers visit and see the Dining Car/and Viewing cars? Will the attendants give instruction? Can you bring your own food on board train?

I will have two large pieces of luggage. As I understand it, you can check it on the Southwest Chief, but it is carry-on only on the wolverine service in Michigan?

What are the bathrooms like? Is the service generally friendly? At Union Station in Los Angeles, the amtrak info lady was a bit less than helpful but was friendly. She said that because one of my trains is carry-on only it is amtrak policy not to allow checked luggage on my Southwest Chief leg, eek.

The ticket agent however said it was fine. How early should I arrive? The enormous Chicago Union Station looks a bit daunting. How can I collect my luggage and will I have assistance locating the Wolverine to Detroit?

Thanks for your answers. Hoping for an enjoyable journey. I could have flown, but I was kinda getting a travelling itch and ever since I saw the film North by Northwest I've always wanted to take the rail journey at least once in my life. Although I hope my experience isn't like the chaos of the title character in the movie lol. Anyway thanks in advance.

Larry

Seats are not assigned in advance. I am not sure what the procedure at LA Union Station for coach in the LD trains. Some major stations (Seattle, for instance) they check you in and assign seats, others, they just board you based on your destination, your attendant may or may not assign seats. Generally they have part of the car reserved for couples and families, though.

You have full access to the Sightseer Lounge and the Dining cars. I encourage you to eat at least one meal in the diner, for the experience. If budget is an issue, breakfast or lunch are less expensive.

You can bring your own food. You cannot consume your own supply of alcohol in coach.

Amtrak's carry-on policy is liberal in terms of size and in practice on the ground, if you can carry it, you can have it. I am not sure I'd check to Chicago, then carry-on the Wolverine, though. If the SW Chief is late (it usually runs on time or close to it, but stuff happens), you might not have time to retrieve it. If you do decide to check a piece of luggage, there is an airport-style baggage carousel and it is clearly marked with signs leading to it. It is very close to south platforms (take a left once you are in the station, follow the corridor around, it will go up some steps (ramp available) and the baggage claim is on your right.

At Chicago coach boarding for all trains except the Hiawathas and the Empire Builder takes place from the South Boarding Lounge. They will call the train and will check your ticket before allowing you through the gate and out to the platform. All you need to do is be in the South Boarding Lounge when the train is called.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, (My Answers, (and only MY opinion, no one else's, in bold, in-line below. RRDUDE)

I will soon be visiting a friend and for the journey I have chosen the train. Now I travel in two days and I'm getting nervous. I will be travelling from Los Angeles to suburban Detroit. As I have never ridden the train before, I have some questions. I will be riding economy/coach.

Are seats assigned? They usually are, but not always. Be "nice" to your Train Attendant, if you'd like to move seats) Can coach passengers visit and see the Dining Car/and Viewing cars? Generally "YES", the diner will often attempt to serve those who have pre-paid for their meals first (the sleeper passengers) and then open up to Coach. The "viewing car" known as the SightSeer Lounge (SSL) car, is open to ALL. there is a snack bar on the lower level of the SSL car. Will the attendants give instruction? They should, but don't be afraid to ask. Can you bring your own food on board train? Yes you can, and you may consume in the upper level of the SSL. Only sleeper car passengers may bring their own private stock of alcohol, and that is to be consumed IN their rooms/

I will have two large pieces of luggage. As I understand it, you can check it on the Southwest Chief, but it is carry-on only on the wolverine service in Michigan? Correct.

What are the bathrooms like? Small-ish, and generally kept clean. Is the service generally friendly? Generally, like any large company, there are a few "bad apples" but by and large the employees are pleasant. At Union Station in Los Angeles, the amtrak info lady was a bit less than helpful but was friendly. She said that because one of my trains is carry-on only it is amtrak policy not to allow checked luggage on my Southwest Chief leg, eek. She is DEAD WRONG. If you are traveling from one station to another, and they BOTH have checked baggage service, you are fine.

The ticket agent however said it was fine. How early should I arrive? Me? 15 minutes before train time is enuff. You, and the rest of the world, generally about an hour prior, since you will need to check your bag, and find your way around.The enormous Chicago Union Station looks a bit daunting. How can I collect my luggage and will I have assistance locating the Wolverine to Detroit? There is a baggage area, pretty well marked. If you want assistance with your bags from the carousel in Chicago, I'd suggest "hiring" a Red Cap. These are Amtrak employees, who while technically do not cost anything, generally receive tips for their services. Ask one for help with your bags not only collecting them from the SW Chief, but also with getting them on board the Wolverine. Generally tip $2-5 per bag, depending upon how big they are, what kind of attitude the Red cap has.

Thanks for your answers. Hoping for an enjoyable journey. I could have flown, but I was kinda getting a travelling itch and ever since I saw the film North by Northwest I've always wanted to take the rail journey at least once in my life. Although I hope my experience isn't like the chaos of the title character in the movie lol. Anyway thanks in advance.

Larry Make sure you join Amtrak's Guest Rewards too. If you haven't yet, email me your email address, and I'll send you a link that will earn both you and me 500 bonus points. pilcher AT actionsystems DOT COM Plus right now is DOUBLE DAYS, so your trip in a few days will earn you DOUBLE THE POINTS.

Are seats assigned? Yes, the car attendant will give you a seat number when you board.

Can coach passengers visit and see the Dining Car/and Viewing cars? Yes. The LSA will take reservations for the Dining Car once the sleeper passengers have provided their reservation requests. The Viewing car (Sightseer Lounge) is open 24/7 and does not require a reservation.

Can you bring your own food on board train? Yes. I recommend a soft-sided cooler so you can store it in your baggage once you've consumed everything.

It is carry-on only on the Wolverine service in Michigan? Correct. I ride the Wolverine frequently. :) There are overhead racks and luggage racks in each car, so you should have plenty of room for your luggage.

What are the bathrooms like? A little bigger than an airplane bathroom. Sometimes they get wet (the faucets spray everywhere), so I wipe the sink area with a paper towel when I'm finished.

Is the service generally friendly? It varies, like any other customer-facing profession. Hopefully, you'll have a good crew.

How early should I arrive? For long-distance trains, I try to show up an hour before departure. They generally start boarding Coach 30 minutes before departure. Since you are checking bags, you should plan on an hour, or maybe a bit more since this is your first time.

How can I collect my luggage and will I have assistance locating the Wolverine to Detroit? Chicago Union Station is large, but there is signage everywhere. When you get off the Southwest Chief, follow the herd past the gates and keep going straight. You'll go up a ramp. To your right, as soon as you get up that ramp, you'll see the Baggage room. You'll need your ticket/claim to pick up your baggage.

As for the Wolverine, there are monitors all over the station, like an airport, that show the gate number. For the Wolverine, it's usually D or E. These are both in the main waiting room. Sometimes they'll have you wait in the Great Hall (this will be on the monitors as well). They will call your train, but before that, you'll see a long line for the gate. Get in line. :) They'll start checking tickets, and they'll let you know which platform to walk to. Just follow the herd. The platform numbers are large and visible above the automatic doors for each track. They'll say "Track 28" or "Track 29", etc. The gate dragon will tell you which one to use, but again, just follow the herd.

North by Northwest: This is one of my favorite movies! Since I'm from Michigan, I always get a kick out of the scene in LaSalle Street Station. You can hear them announcing the Wolverine's stops in the background! :)

Hi Larry,

Others will adress different parts of your questions, and you'll receive many different opinions, but I'll address the food & leisure aboard the train:

• Yes, you can bring your own food on board. You may even bring a cooler, if you can carry it and as long as there isn't any alcohol in it! When I traveled coach, I made sure to bring plenty of my own food and snacks, to eat healthier and save money. Try bringing dried fruit and nuts, and don't forget the chocolate, ha, ha!
  • Yes, people in coach may visit the Sightseer Lounge car and spend time there. It's a nice change from your seat, with large windows, upholstered chairs and lounge seats, and tables to read, do computer work, play games, or just sit and enjoy the view (there won't be wi-fi unless you have a data plan on your smartphone, and then only when you are in range of a tower). The upstairs is all viewing area, and you may take your own food and drink in there (but if it's crowded they ask that you be considerate and let others enjoy the experience too). The lower level of the Sightseer Lounge has tables that are reserved for snack bar (also in the lower level) customers. The cafe car menu is here.
  • You can ask to go and see the diner, it will be the car just beyond the Sightseer Lounge. On a long trip like the SW Chief, I'd recommend going to the diner to enjoy at least ONE meal, maybe dinner the second evening as you climb into the Rocky Mountains. There's nothing like enjoying the view as you dine. Menu here. The dining car steward takes reservations in the sleepers first, then comes around to the coach cars and fill in the rest of their schedule.
I know you will have fun, it's a gorgeous route, so enjoy your trip and let us have a trip report here when you're done!

Oh, one other thing:

When you walk to the Wolverine, you'll see everyone stopping to talk to the first conductor they see. The conductor(s) will let you know which car to board, based on your destination. If that car is full, you can sit in any car, but be sure to move back to the proper car upon approach to your station since they only open certain doors at each station.

Larry, my friend- Please don't get worked up over too many details. Enjoy the trip and wave at my house out the right side of the train about 4 miles east of Flagstaff station. Go with the flow and you will find this trip a whole lot more interesting than flying.

One thing that will help your trip be more comfortable is to plan on bringing a pillow of some type. Most people use neck pillows, I use a regular pillow as I cannot use the neck pillow due to my disability. The bathrooms on the Southwest Chief are downstairs in the coach cars. But sitting upstairs is the place to be. You are able to walk through the whole train EXCEPT the sleeper cars and baggage car and engines of course.

I know that most of the LD trains out of LA are assigned at the gate before you walk to the train. The walk can be rather long, so being your first trip, I would suggest using the Red Cap service both in LA and CHI. When you get the red cap in Chicago, tell them you need to pick up your checked luggage and they will direct you where to go. The signage showing the trains arrival and departure in Chicago shows which gate your train will be leaving from, so I suggest sitting in that area of the waiting room, that way you are close to the gate when your train is called for boarding.

I always bring food, bread and peanut butter, crackers and cheese, cherry tomatoes and the Bumble Bee Tuna Salad and Chicken Salad that is already prepared with crackers. I also agree that having one meal in the diner is worth the experience. Breakfast and lunch are the least expensive. Breakfast starts at 6am and if you are an early riser, that is the time to get there for breakfast, nice to watch the sun rise while eating and drinking coffee.

Enjoy your trip. Oh one more thing that is never mentioned on the train, there is a leg rest that comes up by hand attached to the front of the seat. Reach down and pull it up manually, it goes down with the bottom knob. Recline your seat back with the other knob and release your foot rest with the silver lever on the side of the footrest. It can be set at many different levels, I keep it set so that my feet rest on it when I have the leg rest straight out from the seat.

When I ride the Chief or any other train with a superliner lounge, I spend my entire day in there except when eating in the diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back