Seattle Baggage storage logistics?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jannie

Train Attendant
On return trip from Vancouver BC decided we'd do a stop over 2 nights in Seattle. Hotel near Pike Place Market. Will arrive late afternoon from Van (Thought would store most bags - 2 larger, plus one of the smaller and just take 1 smaller to hotel). taxi to hotel. Tourist next full day Pike Place Market, Space Needle, etc. Overnight, Then day we will leave Seattle take a public transportation (light rail or bus) with our one suitcase - put that in the station storage then walk around the Pioneer Square area do the Underground tour and waterfall then walk back to the station and get our bags from the storage locker.

Long explanation - but do they have at the King Street Station lockers that can store larger suitcases - regular typle on rollers for 2 nights? And, cost?

2nd. Would the walking distance between station and Pioneer Square area be short? less than a mile?

3rd: My original schedule said we leave at 4:40 p.m from SEA to CHI., but when I checked now says 1:40 p.m.?

Thanks for any info about storage lockers & also Distance of station from Pioneer Square.

King Street Station does not have any lockers at all, but the baggage room will day-check your bags for $4 per bag.

It is a short walk to Pioneer Square proper (1st Ave & Yesler) where Doc Maynard's and the Underground Tour is, about 5 blocks.

The departure time of the eastbound Empire Builder has indeed been changed to 1:40 pm.

2nd. Would the walking distance between station and Pioneer Square area be short? less than a mile?
The walk from King Street Station to Pioneer Square is very short, less than half a mile each way. Waterfall Garden Park is along the way at 2nd Ave & Main and you can walk through Occidental Park on your way between the Waterfall and Pioneer Square.

Last edited by a moderator:
All is within easy walking distance. No lockers at King St Station but baggage storage is available. Departure time for train # 8 has been changed to 1:40 pm until at least the through end of May.

I thought about stopping at Bakeman's Deli - I read that was suppose to be reasonable price & good and sounded like in same area -- I don't think we'll get lunch on the train (we have a roomette, but think the time we leave is too late for lunch.) We are scheduled to be leaving in early June.

How soon do we board the Eastbound train SEA to CHI.

Thanks

Zeitgeist Coffee, a couple of blocks from SEA station, serves excellent sandwiches as well as coffee and sweets, and is a pleasant place to sit down for a while.

I would plan on being at the station about 1 to 1:15 for the departure of train 8 the Empire builder @1:40

Last month I arrived at King Street Station for the first time. The freshly restored, gleaming marble interior gave meaning to the word "splendid."

It took a few minutes to realize how barren and empty the station was. No lockers, no food, no services, nothing a traveler might need, and nothing to draw in anyone not meeting a train. It was in stark contrast to every other big-city station I've seen. Back home in Denver, they're finishing a Union Station renovation that will create a mini-city, with a hotel and half a dozen restaurants, plus a book store. I like that approach better. But maybe it would have been to radical to try to alter King Street to include service spaces that it never was designed for? I don't know, but the three vending machines I saw were not impressive!

Not much in the station - but the ID, or even Umajimaya within a half-mile to load up on good to-go. I could, and have, spent several half-days just walking around the station area and loving every minute.

Suggest walk from Pike Place to Hotel to Pioneer Square to Intl Dist to waterfront - easy walking (not too many steep bits down that way).

I would plan on being at the station about 1 to 1:15 for the departure of train 8 the Empire builder @1:40
Yeah, don't cut it as fine as I did last time there. Train departs at 4:40 (1:40 now) -- I arrived station at 3:33. No problems (no checked bags). But too too close to departure. OTOH no point in hanging around the station longer than you have to.

I'm looking forward to seeing the station, though had expected (since it's in a large city) to be more on the order of Chicago with lockers you could rent for luggage storage. Will eat lunch before we leave -- I don't think the diner on the train will be serving lunch on the train that late.

is the

King Street Station does not have any lockers at all, but the baggage room will day-check your bags for $4 per bag.
Yikes!

That's going to add up. We may have to pack light then.

Jannie, what day are you going to be there? We'll be there on June 25th on our way to VAN, then stay a night in SEA, the next morning head up to VAC. On our return trip home, we'll be there on July 1st.

We will be there the month prior doing the stop over in SEA after being in Vancouver. It does make a person think twice about what to pack!

Last week I parcel checked (its what my receipt says ) my bag in Vancouver, BC and VIA Rail now charges $6 CAN per bag per day. I wanted to check my bag but since I was taking Amtrak Cascades across the border couldn't check it in early to avoid the fee, since bags can only be checked after clearing customs. The is a sign saying the agents are even supposed to charge the $6 per bag for luggage checked more than 3 hours (before 6:00pm or 6:30pm, can't remember the exact time) before the departure of the Canadian. The agent told me that fee he rarely charges because he finds the idea of it so ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back