Any newer version of Standards Manual than Revision 7?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Standards Manual Revision 7 is 18 months old (Oct 2012). Anybody know if this is still the current one and/or if there have been any updates to it?

If there are updates/newer, anybody know where it can be downloaded?

Edit: For those not familiar with it, it is the standards which onboard crew are supposed to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Through some Google sleuthing a few months ago I found a copy of the Amtrak Standards Manual Revision 7.2 (effective October 30, 2013).

It's not drastically different than version 7 (hence the .2 version number.) If you want a copy, send me a private message. I can email it to you.

I haven't seen one. Jeb FOIAd the last one, that's the only way to get a copy. Probably time to do it again.

Anyone want to volunteer?
Just wondering why the public needs to get this detailed (and FOIA aside, what I consider 'proprietary' info)?

Is it just a matter of railfan curiousity, or are some folks going to 'arm themselves' with this document or info, and argue policies and procedures with crew? :unsure:

Just wondering why the public needs to get this detailed (and FOIA aside, what I consider 'proprietary' info)?

Is it just a matter of railfan curiousity, or are some folks going to 'arm themselves' with this document or info, and argue policies and procedures with crew? :unsure:
I respectfully disagree. There's nothing particularly proprietary contained in the blue book. It's all about the basics of giving excellent customer service and outlining exactly what crew needs to do.

I think that most people on this board like to have it because it's the only way to cite the "official" policy on something... But I think there is a certain power to knowing exactly what you're entitled to when you're paying Amtrak $1000+ dollars for a trip (in a Bedroom).

Frankly I think Amtrak should publish the Service Standards Manual online for all to see... few people would read it, but I think it would help Amtrak hold all its employees accountable to the passengers they serve.

It's a mixture of both. Part of it is certainly curiosity, but a big part of it is also making sure that I get what I pay for when I ride. Far too many dining car crews are still pulling the "You have to pay for your person's meal if you're in a roomette" kind of crap. In a world where train crews and call center folks are perfectly trained and always abide by the rules, if would be far less important.

But we don't live in that world, so it's best to stay on top of it.

interesting that the version posted by jebr has stuff excluded from it. The version #6 one I have doesn't have anything excluded.

I do already have a FOIA in for the Amshack station designs. I don't really want to put another one in. Jeb, how much did you have to pay (if any at all) for the Version 7?

peter

I actually had one SCA say she remembers getting the Manual during Training but could not recall what she did with it! None the less she provided above average service.

interesting that the version posted by jebr has stuff excluded from it. The version #6 one I have doesn't have anything excluded.

I do already have a FOIA in for the Amshack station designs. I don't really want to put another one in. Jeb, how much did you have to pay (if any at all) for the Version 7?

peter
There was no charge for the request.

In theory, yes.

Blue_Book_Sig.png

i actually found it pretty good reading,,,, I would have restructured the information to some degree, and emphasized customer satisfaction, but as we all know I am sick in many ways,,,

Instead of the public having to digest what, almost 800 pages of technical policies and procedures, perhaps Amtrak should be required to provide a digest...sort of a "passenger's bill-of-rights" to tell just what passenger's are entitiled to receive, and a step-by-step redress procedure to correct any perceived deficiencies...should be only a few pages, and available online, or in print at stations on request.

As for whether the manual contains any 'proprietary information', well maybe yes, and maybe no....there are certain procedures elaborated that some private companies might consider as 'trade-secrets'.....and also certain information that could be considered detrimental to security.

The information on safety was removed in one FOIA request, but not another. In terms of "trade secrets" I don't see a lot of companies chomping at the bit to offer long-distance rail service so I think Amtrak will be okay with this information being public knowledge.

That being said, I think a passengers bill of rights could be a very good thing, but it should come in addition to Amtrak releasing the SSM.

Ryan, I know you and I are different, but most people can't stomach hundreds of pages of service manuals, corporate plans, and internal reports.

"Trade Secret's" don't have to be only applicable to companies in direct like competition, such as running intercity passenger trains; they can be things like management practices and procedures, that carefully develped and proven by one company, could be beneficial to any business. Companies that have successfully developed such procedures, will sometimes sell their research to other companies.....

For example....you wouldn't say that Amtrak and American Airlines really compete with each other except for a few cases. But early in Amtrak's history, they paid AA's former Sabre Division to develop Amtrak's 'Arrow' computer reservation system....

Some companies will conduct paid seminar's and training for employee's of other companies, in area's of expertise.

Almost all printed material for both internal and external use that most companies produce are usually protected by a copyright notice......

Whatever Amtrak provides via an initial FOIA request is precisely what Amtrak deems safe to release. If Amtrak did not want to release some or all of the standards manual they could make various legal claims for why they chose not to. The request alone is not enough to force Amtrak to release anything on its own. If you make a request and end up disagreeing with Amtrak's position on collecting and releasing such information nothing will happen until you take them to court and win. Of course by that point the time and cost of pursuing the issue will become rather steep, potentially resulting in an outcome that is decided by growing legal fees rather than on the merits of the request itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back