What is going on with Auto Train Pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b243923

Service Attendant
We have taken the Auto Train now for 6 years leaving around Feb 20th from Lorton and returning from Sandford March 6th. I always book early and get the lower fares.

I just checked the return trip from Sandford and it is $250.00 each for coach seats and 186.00 for our car. I have always paid 104.00 each for both ways and the car 175.00 for the car each way. The return trip back for next year 2015 will cost us as much as the return trip both ways.

I will keep checking as I usually do not book till July and if the price does not go down I won't be taking the train. I have checked dates around March 6th and it is the same fare?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure why not? You get the people who are planning a once a year (routine) trip, or a once a life time trip, now pay at a high rate. Which they will because it important for them to travel that date. Six months or so out the price drop to a lower price base on space left, to get people to book that date.

Supply and demand.

The only rule is there are no more hard and fast rules.

Amtrak revenue management sets prices that maximize revenue. On trains they expect to sell well, there is no reason to open up sales at the lowest level and leave some money on the table.

Trains that aren't expected to sell as well may start at lower buckets. It's all up to the revenue managers.

Flights work the same way. There's usually a "magic period" for booking, depending on the date and destination.

We do the same thing with our trip to ABQ every year. The sweet spot varies, depending on whether we go for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Either way, I never book before July (unless we're using points, obviously).

We have taken the Auto Train now for 6 years leaving around Feb 20th from Lorton and returning from Sandford March 6th. I always book early and get the lower fares.

I just checked the return trip from Sandford and it is $250.00 each for coach seats and 186.00 for our car. I have always paid 104.00 each for both ways and the car 175.00 for the car each way. The return trip back for next year 2015 will cost us as much as the return trip both ways.

I will keep checking as I usually do not book till July and if the price does not go down I won't be taking the train. I have checked dates around March 6th and it is the same fare?
I would just check again when you get closer to the date. Looking at Jul of this year on Amsnag most of the one way coach fares are $102. There is one day at $200 and a few $127's. Try using AmSnag and look at 30 days at a time.

I just looked at 2015 and all of Feb lists $102. March only goes through the 18th and all the fares are $250. Just wait a few weeks and check again.

If someone were so inclined, they could use Amsnag to extract and plot the LOR-SFA and SFA-LOR coach and roomette prices for the next 11 months. The peak seasonal periods would probably show up in the price lines, but the chart might show the pattern of higher bucket prices 11 months out and how long the initial high prices last.

Bravo, Amtrak. Charge what the market will bear.
So Frisky, with that enthusiastic reply I take it you WANT to pay the highest price possible to keep your precious trains running? Do you voluntarily offer to pay the highest bucket price even when they charge you less? The man asked what is going on. He didn't ask for an Amtrak cheering session. We gave him suggestions for finding a lower price.

So Frisky, with that enthusiastic reply I take it you WANT to pay the highest price possible to keep your precious trains running? Do you voluntarily offer to pay the highest bucket price even when they charge you less? The man asked what is going on. He didn't ask for an Amtrak cheering session. We gave him suggestions for finding a lower price.
Frisky likes to stir the pot. Don't let him get to you. :)

I can't speak for Frisky, but I've often mentioned my split opinion here: While I would, of course, like to pay as little as possible for my train trips I also recognize Amtrak's position and want them to do as well as possible. If I have to throw an extra few dollars in the pot on a given trip, I'd rather do that and see Amtrak better able to get new equipment than not.

Stir the pot or not, he's right.

Amtrak isn't a charity and shouldn't be run like one. Good on them for charging what the market will bear.

Do I like paying more for my "precious trains"? Nope.

Do I voluntarily pay more? No, that would be absurd.

The man asked what was going on and we told him. Sorry that Henry finds that disagreeable. Not surprising, since he finds pretty much everything disagreeable.

I agree, Ryan. I knew what Frisky was saying but wasn't sure if Henry did, given Henry's assumptions.

I agree with Ryan on this, however, back to fares. Even if you DO PAY a higher fare, if YOU notice the fare drop, and YOU call Amtrak, they will likely rebate or offer you a travel credit for the fare difference. I did this THREE times for my recent AUTO TRain Journey.

Cheap shot Henry; I've met Ryan and interacted with him numerous times; I find him neither pretentious, nor cavalier; in point of fact, I find him engaged and knowledgeable to levels that I should have reached for in my formative years. And before anyone chimes in that I have a biased opinion because of extended family tendrils, I will remind all that while I am more of a lurker on this forum vice an active vocal participant, the fact remains that I respect Ryan as an individual, as a husband, a son-in-law, and as a father.......in fact, quite the engaged father for that cute little gem we call Ellie. (Great picture ot Ellie on Ryan's posts.....as if to say, "Sheesh, do I have to repeat myself AGAIN?")

Jesus Christ, Henry, listen. Read and repeat aloud: Reasonable Minds Can Differ.

You are an old retired man living in Houston Texas. Ryan is a middle aged guy living near DC bringing up a family. You are right leaning and he is left leaning. You see things differently, as you damned well should. Let it at that. You can disagree on whatever points you want with me.

I don't disrespect anything about you except your laziness at backing up your assertions with facts. You are entitled to your opinion. He is entitled to his. And I am entitled to mine.

Disagree all you want but don't make a personal attack, amigo.

Well stated GML. I have learned to keep my opinion to myself usually. I will post the facts that I have learned from 41 years of railroad time (40 Amtrak), also can rely on over 135 years of rail experience in my generation and the previous generation (wife, mother, sister, and father in law all railroaders).

I would like to add that I also have met Ryan and totally agree with Guest_SANSR_.

Yeah, it's blessedly rare here, but sometimes old-timers get grumpy at each other. Us who mostly lurk and value the contributions of all the old-timers, young or old - forgive and forget - and hope for more good info from the experts.

This forum is the best around for good info on how to ride Amtrak.

Live and let live, and thanks to all.

I'm speculating, but, this time of year the people hoping to get shoulder-season prices on Amtrak's most lucrative train may be piling on. Maybe Amtrak's decision to cut amenities and add seats makes perfect sense.

I'd like to add to Henry's personal barb at Ryan, 'Cept I can't think of anything remotely negative to attack him with.

I will however take umbrage on Ryan's behalf, for GML describing him as "middle age"...

Tssssk, tssssk, tssssk, "kids".

AT is 3.5 hours late into SFA today....

I will however take umbrage on Ryan's behalf, for GML describing him as "middle age"...

Tssssk, tssssk, tssssk, "kids".
I agree with Jerry..... If Ryan is middle age, then I am a dinosaur. :lol:

Although Ryan may be outspoken at times, he does he research and generally knows what he is talking about. Fortunately, he has a thick skin and will not be intimidated by personal attacks, which are inappropriate in this forum.

Back to the OP...

If the dates are important to you, you may have to suck up the fare increase. If your dates are flexible, use amsnag.net and hunt fur the best prices. Either way, every month or so, check the rates and if they go down, call Amtrak and book the lower fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back