Crescent from Atlanta to NO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We will be boarding the Crescent on a Sunday in Atlanta at about 8:38. we are in a sleeper,will we get breakfast,lunch and dinner or just lunch and abbreviated dinner?Also I was going to change the first leg of our trip going from NO to ATL and get a sleeper,the price was 178 dollars. When I booked in October the price for sleeper from Atlanta to NO was 91 dollars. Should I call everyday to see if someone cancels and I can get same price of 91 dollars from NO to ATL. How can it be so high?

You will have breakfast and lunch and an abbreviated dinner with a limited menu between ATL and NOL!

Supply and demand determine the buckets for all Reserved Trains plus nothing is as cheap as it was last year e except Politicians promises!

Google up amsnag.net or use Amtrak. Com and if you find a lower fare Revise, not Cancel your Rez! Prices can fluctuate daily and usually go up but surprises do happen due to cancellations and the Revenue. Wizards getting it wrong!

$91 sounds like a rock-bottom price at a time of year when not many people are traveling. Good luck getting a price like that between now and Labor Day.

If the train is more than 45 minutes late departing ATL, you might miss the breakfast window.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I used to live in Georgia, I often took The Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans, and upgraded my coach ticket to roomette. This was just a few years ago (2008), but I remember the coach ticket was $58, and the accommodation charge for the roomette was $47. This was the "V4" level, which was the least expensive. The previous contributor was correct in that the price increases due to availability. Be sure to ask your reservations agent about this, in order to get the best price. It helps greatly if you're flexible on dates.

Assuming you are a First Class passenger, you will board at the Atlanta station at about 8:30. Once the conductor accounts for you by taking your ticket, you will be called to the diner for breakfast. My usual is the Omelette, with a side of sausage, juice and coffee.

Around noontime, you will be called (first, before coach passengers) to lunch. I usually order the chef's special, tea and dessert.

Then, just before you cross into Louisiana, there will be one (only one) dinner call. My choice has consistently been the flat iron steak, baked potato, vegetable of the day, tea and dessert.

Since I only travelled single, I'm not sure how the meal arrangements would be handled for two. I presume that each would pay for the coach seat, then the roomette upgrade would be charged once (since there are two seats and an upper and lower berth). But it seems that meals for two would be a loss for Amtrak, and Amtrak doesn't seem to be in business to lose money (at least that's my observation as a passenger).

-Robert

The last we traveled on the Cresent to NOL we went to the diner then to our rooms,the cond, checked our tickets while we ate.

You will have breakfast and lunch and an abbreviated dinner with a limited menu between ATL and NOL!

Supply and demand determine the buckets for all Reserved Trains plus nothing is as cheap as it was last year e except Politicians promises!

Google up amsnag.net or use Amtrak. Com and if you find a lower fare Revise, not Cancel your Rez! Prices can fluctuate daily and usually go up but surprises do happen due to cancellations and the Revenue. Wizards getting it wrong!
To elaborate using amsnag.net, you can request "fare watch" to track changes in sleeper prices. I did a quick look at fares on AmSnag from NOL to ATL for next week and find roomettes generally going for $136 (4/23 was $224) and bedrooms when available as low as $178.

To elaborate using amsnag.net, you can request "fare watch" to track changes in sleeper prices. I did a quick look at fares on AmSnag from NOL to ATL for next week and find roomettes generally going for $136 (4/23 was $224) and bedrooms when available as low as $178.
really hard to pay that 178 when I got it for 91 and thats for all three of us in the bedroom. I suppose I will be kicking myself if and when it goes up.. I think i'll do fare watch. My hubbie first time on the amtrak and I do want it to be a good experience.

Why revise??

I forgot I have a disabled daughter and was able to call back and get the H room. The operator says it is called the MS room. She said she was sorry for it being called that. I was able to get it for 111 dollars. Now that is a deal. All three of us and meals included. Hope my hubbie is impressed.

Outstanding! The H Room is the Biggest and Best Room on a Viewliner, it is almost like having a small Apartment with and enclosed bathroom and plenty of room for y'all and your Luggage!

Congrats, enjoy the trip and New Orleans!

Outstanding! The H Room is the Biggest and Best Room on a Viewliner, it is almost like having a small Apartment with and enclosed bathroom and plenty of room for y'all and your Luggage!

Congrats, enjoy the trip and New Orleans!
Thanks I know we gonna have a great time. We do need this vacate my mother just died April 4-she had alzheimers. Nasty disease!!!!! So sad how she was in last stages.

Cassie (and group),

In 2008, I remember paying $47 for a roomette (in addition to the coach fare of $58). That was for the lowest available pricing tier. Does anyone know what the lowest available price for a roomette for travel from Atlanta to New Orleans is at present? Apparently prices have gone up significantly, although fuel is actually somewhat cheaper than it was in 2008. Also, Amtrak benefited significantly from the 2009 "stimulus" (not sure if any additional Federal funding followed). Not trying to begin a pricing debate...just wondering.

Cassie (and group),

In 2008, I remember paying $47 for a roomette (in addition to the coach fare of $58). That was for the lowest available pricing tier. Does anyone know what the lowest available price for a roomette for travel from Atlanta to New Orleans is at present? Apparently prices have gone up significantly, although fuel is actually somewhat cheaper than it was in 2008. Also, Amtrak benefited significantly from the 2009 "stimulus" (not sure if any additional Federal funding followed). Not trying to begin a pricing debate...just wondering.
I paid $49 in 2011 for roomette. Coach fare for seniors was $50.

Lowest room charge for a roomette between ATL and NOL I've seen on amsnag is $136, with $74 for the coach fare.

Cassie (and group),

I paid $49 in 2011 for roomette. Coach fare for seniors was $50.
49 dollars!! That was a steal. Amtrak has really gone up in prices.

The Austin agent told me today that due to lots of cancellations from NOL-ATL, there were $89 Roomettes available which seems to be Low Bucket now? Still not bad for 2 with three Meals, the Incomparable Magnolia Room and the Sleeping Car Amenities included!

I took the Agent @ his word but using amsnag.net over May and June almost everyday not Sold Out shows $136 as the Roomette price so perhaps Amtrak has raised the Low Bucket like almost all other LD Trains!?

The Low Bucket Coach Fare seems to be $74!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back