Pullman Rail Journeys cheaper than Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
On a few dates in May and June, you can book a berth or roomette from New Orleans to Chicago cheaper than similar accommodations on Amtrak.

What a surprise and Pullman prices include plenty of food choices and beverages to include alcohol.

Here's there promotion:

Take advantage of great deals on select dates for Pullman departures! These deals disappear quickly so book now to secure these incredible rates!

Choose from these special dates to start your trip.
  • To secure your booking click or call
  • When booking on web make sure you choose the correct date to ensure you are getting the best deal
Prices are based on occupancy relative to the time of your booking and can change at any time. Please check back often as we will continue to add more dates with these values.

Don't Miss Out!Book Now
May 15, 2014prices starting at

$120

per person - northbound

June 12, 2014prices starting at

$120

per person - northbound

June 26, 2014prices starting at

$120

per person - northbound

Notice that these prices are Northbound so one will have to get to NOL or be fortunate enough to live close by! This is a real deal,and if one wants to experience traveling in a Section berth without riding the Canadian, here's your chance! Sure wish I could go but alas Medical reasons and Poverty will prevent me from this adventure! Sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this-Just made a reservation, I have to be in Baton Rouge for business that week anyway, flying in/out of MSY, just changed to fly in to MSY, do my business there, take the Pullman service to Chicago (Roomette), then fly home from ORD that afternoon. Was considering doing the same thing anyway, on Amtrak just for fun, but at half the price and 5 times the service, this was a no brainer. Thanks, been wanting to give this a try for a while now-Last summer we were on the CONO and the pullmans were on the rear, been wanting to go ever since. This just made it possible!

As info, I had to call to book, their website started having problems pulling dates up. Still got the special fare price, $198 for a private roomette. Can't beat that! That's only $60 more than the cheapest coach fare NOL-CHi that day and more than $200 less than an Amtrak roomette on the day I booked. This is a smoking good deal! Phone agent was great, got on, reserved, and off, in under 5 minutes, tickets emailed before I even hung up. Am already impressed.

I have never heard of this. I now have to plan a trip, I have always wanted to visit NO and the National World War II Museum, now I have a reason!

The WWII Museum in New Orleans is amazing, going to try and visit again the morning of my trip if I can swing it. I hear their submarine "experience" is amazing, wasn't open last time I was there.

Thanks for the head's up on this service. I just scored a single bedroom on June 26 from New Orleans to Chicago for $198. I can't wait!

I've been on both... Pullman is in a whole nother league than the Canadian. Do not pass this deal up!!!
For real? Like Amtrak<<<Canadian<<<Pullman? That good?
Correct. As far as the equipment and service there is simply no comparison.

Walk into the observation lounge and before you even sit down an attendant dressed in all white with a black bow tie asks "can I get you a drink?" Lounge hours? Always open.

They live up to the Pullman name that's for sure. I can't wait to go again.

Looking forward to a real "bar/lounge car" the most I think. Ironically, drinks are complimentary on Pullman, but you can't bring your own. On Amtrak, you pay through the nose for a can of tonic and airline bottle of gin, or, you CAN bring your own. Go figure. Either way, I usually avoid the SSL, but expect to really enjoy the round end observation car.

Anyone have a link to the car layouts? I've been on the Ponchatrain Club, and the dome diner, but not their sleepers. Curious how the regular sleeper layout is, with roomettes, and open sleeper, I've heard the term 10-6 sleeper, but what type of car would have roomettes, open sleepers, and bedrooms?

Edit to add-I've googled, and found some car layouts, but none showing a roomette-what cars typically run on the CONO, maybe I can find em by car name?

A competitor to Amtrak? Must confess I've not heard of them.
Not really, but sort of-Pullman Rail Journeys pays Amtrak to pull 2-3 of their private cars on the back of the City of New Orleans. (They were also doing CHI-NYP but looks like there are no trips scheduled this year?) they sell space on their private cars. They operate vintage Pullman equipment they restored, their cars are beautiful-never taken their train, but have been on their cars while they were in Oklahoma doing runs between OKC and Tulsa. Usually they are quite a but higher priced (but, for the product, not unreasonable, in my opinion) than Amtrak, given the luxury branding they have, but this special they're running made it cheaper than Amtrak-book it while you can, this is a great deal!

Thanks, Shortline, that explains the similar train numbers and the same departure times. I looked at their website and thought for a moment that it was a Legend Airlines type of experiment.

Even the southbound rates aren't too bad.

How do they board the Pullman cars? Since it isn't Amtrak, I assume I couldn't use the Metropolitan Lounge? Is there a separate semi-kindergarten walk?

How do they board the Pullman cars? Since it isn't Amtrak, I assume I couldn't use the Metropolitan Lounge? Is there a separate semi-kindergarten walk?
Sarah - If I remember correctly, when you look at some of the private car owner's websites, they mention that their cars can be boarded from the lounge in Chicago.

Sarah - If I remember correctly, when you look at some of the private car owner's websites, they mention that their cars can be boarded from the lounge in Chicago.
Oh. Perhaps I'll go read more of the website, then. Reading comprehension fail. ;) I just looked at the pictures and the booking page.

The WWII Museum in New Orleans is amazing, going to try and visit again the morning of my trip if I can swing it. I hear their submarine "experience" is amazing, wasn't open last time I was there.
This is just one more thing in N.O. that you can do without booze!

Oh. Perhaps I'll go read more of the website, then. Reading comprehension fail. ;) I just looked at the pictures and the booking page.
Well - there are a lot of different web pages for a lot of different private cars. I can't remember which one I saw it on, but maybe if you read all of them you might find it!!! :p

I had the same question.

Fortunately, the website provides a little info:

How do I check in?

Early check-in is permitted up to one and one-half hours before departure. Passengers may check in at the Pullman VIP Desk in the city of departure. Guests will be provided guidance by the Pullman representative on duty regarding boarding procedures. At the check in desk, Pullman will accept and tag baggage to be checked through to the destination, and will also hold hand luggage to be placed on board the train, in the guest’s accommodations.

What occurs after check in?

After check-in guests may stay in the Pullman VIP area, or may choose to shop or dine in the terminal.

How do I board the train and learn about schedule updates?

At check in, the guest will be advised of the estimated boarding time, which is dependent on delivery of the train to the station by the “ground crew” and times may vary from those estimates. Once the train is available for boarding, Pullman staff will provide schedule updates.

Will there be a passenger lounge at the train station?

Pullman Rail Journeys plans to provide a VIP area consisting of a reception or lounge area at each station with a date to be announced. In New Orleans, Pullman guests will be able to board the train at any time during the check-in period; lounge services will be provided aboard the train.
http://www.travelpullman.com/explore/faq.html

In New Orleans I don't know Sarah, but when we last took the CONO from Chicago and the Pullmans were on the rear, they had a section of the Met Lounge by the boarding door roped off for the Pullman passengers. They were boarded first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back