Getting from EMY to SF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nccb

Train Attendant
When I booked my CZ AGR trip I specified EMY as the destination instead of SFW (fisherman's wharf). Does this mean that I won't be able to board the thruway bus in EMY?

What are my options? Can I change the AGR reservation or is that not doable?

Other options I see....

-cab, pretty expensive

-get off CZ at Richmond, transfer to BART

I have also read that the bus transfer takes forever for the folks to move the luggage over, etc.

I wanted the best combo of quick/cheap/reliable. Note, I will have 2 kids with me.

Which route should I go?

Call and have your trip adjusted to include the bus. That's most reliable, easiest and cheapest.

I agree the bus is the best way! I think it coast a $1 or something like that to add but well worth it!

Call AGR and change the reservation to SFO, same zone of course, the Amtrak dedicated bus is OK and the ride across the bridge is nice.

The bus requires a separate ticket, so you could be denied a ride on it if you do not produce a ticket. The last two times I used the bus it was quite efficient.

In my opinion, the bus is the way to go. Doesn't cost anything, and usually the transfer of luggage and passengers doesn't take that long. BART from Richmond is OK but you have to hump your own bags, and sometimes there's not much room on those trains.

With kids and luggage particularly the dedicated bus transfer is by far the best way to go. The only place "takes forever" could come into play is if the CZ gets in significantly early, which does happen, but even when it does you are still better off with the designated bus. I would not do the Richmond to BART, period, unless you destination is very close to another BART station, which Fisherman's Wharf is definitely not.

Thanks everyone. I will change the destination to SFC (ferry building). Does anyone know the order in which the buses stop? Is the ferry building first?

Actual destination is over towards marina district, lombard st. I didn't see any thruway stops over that way, so we'll have to take a cab I suppose from Ferry building.

Don't take a cab. That would be nuts. Get off at the Ferry Building, and take the Embarcadero trolley line. Not hard to grab your bag on and off of that thing, and its only $2/pp. Theres a stop for Lombard. Neat equipment, too, mostly PCCs and Milanos.

I agree with GML that the above-ground streetcar that runs along Embarcadero will get you very close to the Marina District. It is easy to board with your luggage (assuming that you don't have too much) and taking it to the end of the line past Fisherman's Wharf will be just a few blocks from the Marina District.

I think what is usually called the Marina District in San Francisco is a mile or two west of the end of the F Line Streetcar. And I strongly disagree about trying to take luggage aboard the cars. Many times the streetcars are standing room only, sometimes not being able to take on any more passengers. I think it would be nuts to take the street car when arriving in town with luggage. Maybe later, when the luggage is safely stowed in your hotel room, and you won't be faced with dragging it a mile or so down the street.

Yeah my hotel on lombard is about 1.5 mile walk from the closest F stop up at FW. And I will have 2 kids w me. And luggage. I don't think a cab is nuts.

Google maps approximates 8 min drive, 40 minute bus. I'll pay $20 for the cab.

Theres probably a bus connection, and you get a free transfer. Maybe its not nuts, but it sure is decadent.

Deleted - didn't see post that said there wasn't a stop near your hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't want to do two transfers (bus to streetcar then streetcar to bus) with kids and luggage either. It may be "decadent", but sometimes that $20 cab ride is completely worth skipping the hassle, stress, and time it takes to schlep the bags and kids, especially if it's standing room only.

As someone who has taken the Amtrak bus as well as tried many different options to get to San Francisco, I'll try to summarize.....

Get the reservation agent to switch to SFC as your preferred option - especially with luggage. You don't have to mess with anything at Emeryville except place carry on in the bug luggage hold.

If you can't, there's Emery-Go-Round to the Macarthur BART station from across the street from EMY. It's free and paid for by Emeryville businesses and employers. Luggage might be an issue though, since it's more like a pint-sized city bus.

As for the MUNI F-Line (historic streetcar) taking luggage is an iffy proposition - especially on a weekend. Last Sunday I was in SF and wasn't sure if the streetcar was going to stop. It was so full that they only opened up at the rear. I worked my way to the front (to pay my cash fare) with a child in tow only to be told he was out of transfers so don't worry about it and pay on a return trip or when I transferred to another line. I've seen cases where three consecutive streetcars were so packed that none stopped (and some people gave up and walked). If it's that packed, then luggage isn't going to be easy to get on. However, it could be almost empty at times. Your ability to load luggage will also depend on the particular streetcar, as there are different configurations.

There are other ways. Maybe the SF Ferry from Jack London. I think it's the N AC Transit bus (one of the letter ones) that goes to SF. I used that in my Emeryville to San Francisco (AC Transit) to Sacramento (Megabus) back down to Emeryville (Capitol Corridor). But you'd have to get to the bus stop and the schedule could be an issue.

Actual destination is over towards marina district, lombard st. I didn't see any thruway stops over that way, so we'll have to take a cab I suppose from Ferry building.
That's your best option really. While I generally detest cabs in the Bay Area, kids+luggage+unfamiliarity could easily justify a cab.

However, San Francisco also has a wide variety of taxi vehicles. I'm pretty sure you can pick and choose if you don't like the particular vehicle. The Ford Crown Vic is still ubiquitous, but there seem to be almost as many Ford Escapes (that's what we rode with an emergency ride to SFO when we figured BART wouldn't get us there in time), Toyota Prius, and new Ford Transit Connect minivans. I've also seen converted Camrys. Getting 2 adults, 2 kids, and luggage on one vehicle could be a nightmare with the wrong vehicle. I recently came back from a trip riding lots of taxis (2 adults and young child), and with two large bags and two carry ons, we often found that the luggage was riding in the front seat. We also used a short cab ride to get home from BART, and I recognized the superiority of a Ford Crown Vic trunk.

7J7C4630-copy-450x300.jpg

I would do the cab as well. No need to schlep two kids plus luggage on either an F line streetcar or on a Muni bus. My recommendation would be that if the bus stops at the Financial District stop right in front of the Hyatt Regency get off there because there will be a lot of cabs there (Capitol Corridor buses to stop there but the CZ schedule says otherwise but since they use the same buses the driver might anyway). Otherwise I'd get off at the Ferry Building or even the SF Shopping Center stop on Market Street.

My first time in S.F. last year, I took a cab from my bus stop on Market by the shopping center to my hotel, only about a mile away. Well worth the few bucks to not have to drag luggage.. and the advantage of getting dropped right at the door, when otherwise not having a full feel for where I am. Now, if I went back and stayed at the same place, I would know which MUNI bus stops on Market and only a block from that hotel. But I still don't regret that initial ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first time in S.F. last year, I took a cab from my bus stop on Market by the shopping center to my hotel, only about a mile away. Well worth the few bucks to not have to drag luggage.. and the advantage of getting dropped right at the door, when otherwise not having a full feel for where I am. Now, if I went back and stayed at the same place, I would know which MUNI bus stops on Market and only a block from that hotel. But I still don't regret that initial ride.
I've dragged luggage before in an unfamiliar place. Not fun. On a recent trip it was OK once I was in my hotel with a solid internet connection and Google Maps to carefully plan any walking trips.

However, I think someone carefully planning a trip might be able to handle the F-line with a single carry on as a single adult traveler. Two adults with two kids is another matter. I don't particularly think Google Maps' transit feature is that accurate, but it's a good start.

And for a while I was wondering what the deal was with four-wheel spinners. Then I actually got a matched set and realized that you can push them upright and with same height handles they can be held as a pair. And I've read that wheeled luggage is the bane of hotel bellmen, since most hotel guests these days prefer to handle their own luggage.

They are right across the street from each other. By the by me and my friend did the entire city recently. Buy a muni passport. It's $12 and include cable cars which are $6 a ride with no transfer.

From the time I got off the zephyr (actually from the time I left my house in Roebling and walked to the RiverLINE light rail) until I boarded in Jack London, I didn't use any rubber tired vehicles except Muni busses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back