Latest news from NARP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
For those of you who don't get notices from NARP:

We wanted to let you know that we’ve simplified the dues structure for NARP members, which will go into effect the next time you renew your membership.
Most categories—including Individual ($35) and Senior ($25)—will remain unchanged. We’re combining Donor into the Family category, which now begins at $50 per year (don’t worry: Family, along with all higher categories, will still allow you to cover a second person with your NARP membership). We’ve also folded Sponsor into Sustaining, which will now begin at $100 per year. Of course, you still have the option to renew your membership at whatever dollar amount you wish by utilizing the “Other Amount” option at narprail.org/renew. ...
Here at NARP, we always try to be responsible stewards of your contributions. This means looking for innovative ways to educate the public on the benefits of passenger trains, such as our new Millennial Campaign, which is recruiting students and young people to our cause. We also work to find new partners to improve the travel experience of our members, such as the recent additions of a 15% NARP discount off TravelPro luggage and a 5% NARP discount off Avis rental cars.
Thank you again for your support of our association and our mission.

Bob Stewart
Chairman
NARP
I had heard about the Millenial Campaign a few weeks ago. I think it's incredibly important. There's a good conversation happening about the subject on Facebook that includes AUers Northeastern292, jebr and Anderson, among others. Contact them if you are interested in participating.

I would suggest, Charlie, that you consider the viability of NARP, with its somewhat misguided rainfanish attitude, as a national transit advocacy organization.

Speaking as a millennial (who has grumbled at NARP and had NARP grumble at me), I've never seen any reason to join NARP. As far as I can tell, they're a combination of cheerleader for Amtrak and advocacy for foaming, not for actual rail transit. Why in the world should I take NARP seriously when their advocacy includes a line from Billings, Montana through seven hundred miles of nothing at all until it arrives in Denver?

I would suggest, Charlie, that you consider the viability of NARP, with its somewhat misguided rainfanish attitude, as a national transit advocacy organization.
As a Californian, there's nothing wrong with being rainfanish :p

It's hard to know how seriously to take NARP's critics when they never bother to offer alternatives they find acceptable. They always have a reason why NARP isn't the answer. What the detractors never bother explaining is what the question was or how not joining improves NARP. You can't even have a thread that mentions NARP on Amtrak Unlimited without a few outspoken members scrambling to immediately undermine and discredit them.

Don't agree with NARP and don't want to join it? So be it. Your amazing cranial capacity (and enormous ego) won't be missed. But do you think that maybe, just maybe, you could keep your anti-NARP comments to yourself once in a while? After years and years of this maybe it's time to agree to disagree and allow the folks who are interested to discuss the topics that are important to them without trying to poison everyone else's view.

I was hoping that by having an advocacy forum this sort of thing would resolve itself. Unfortunately some people still think the Rail Advocacy Forum is where you go to bash advocacy groups. This holier-than-thou nonsense has been running rampant on AU for years. It's getting old and the sooner it ends the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to know how seriously to take NARP's critics when they never bother to offer alternatives they find acceptable.
Focus on corridor service, fix FRA regulations (currently going on), prioritize investments effectively, be willing to kill routes as needed, Thruways über alles. Organizations? Beats the heck out of me, haven't seen one in California worth joining nor one nationally. Except maybe the Transit Coalition, always forget about them.

Don't agree with NARP and don't want to join it? So be it. Your amazing cranial capacity (and enormous ego) won't be missed. But do you think that maybe, just maybe, you could keep your anti-NARP comments to yourself once in a while? After years and years of this maybe it's time to agree to disagree and allow the folks who are interested to discuss the topics that are important to them without trying to poison everyone else's view.

I was hoping that by having an advocacy forum this sort of thing would resolve itself. Unfortunately some people still think the Rail Advocacy Forum is where you go to bash advocacy groups. This holier-than-thou nonsense has been running rampant on AU for years. It's getting old and the sooner it ends the better.
So when there's discussion of NARP trying to market itself to my own demographic I should just ignore it unless it's something on the order of "Gosh, they sure are some wonderful folks!"? Should we all sit around, singing kumbayah, and let the positive energy flow towards NARP?

Many of us support rail advocacy with our time, skills, and/or money. Not everyone has the same level of resources, but all AUers should be doing something constructive to support better passenger rail, in addition to posting here. No matter what you choose to do, every bit helps. Here are some ideas. Please add to the list.

1. Join a national rail advocacy group.
  2. Join a state or local rail advocacy group.
  3. If there isn't a rail advocacy group in your area, start one.
  4. If you don't like what the existing advocacy groups are doing, work to change them.
  5. Ask your friends to join rail advocacy groups, especially younger people.
  6. Volunteer to help rail advocacy groups with whatever skills you have.
  7. Volunteer to represent rail advocacy groups at public events.
  8. Contact your Congressional representatives and senators, and tell them that you support improved passenger rail.
  9. Contact your state representatives, senators, and governor, and tell them that you support improved passenger rail.
  10. Write op-ed pieces for newspapers and online sites.
  11. Write letters to the editor.
  12. Comment in online news sites to correct misinformation.
  13. Post comments on websites and social media.
  14. During election season, ask those running what their positions are on passenger rail.
  15. Vote accordingly.
  16. When you're on a train, talk to fellow riders about doing all of the above.

I have been a NARP member for over 35 years. I don't agree with the organization's fervid, unequivocal stance to preserve all the existing national network, and I hope that under new leadership the organization will be open to a more diverse set of perspectives from the membership.

That said, NARP overall has done an excellent job representing the interests of passenger trains in this country. They are respected in Washington, both politically and within Amtrak. No splinter group has attained that level of recognition. Without NARP, I believe we would have far fewer passenger trains today.

As for NARP encouraging foamers, nothing could be further from the truth. The very concept of a foamer is anathema to NARP, who advocate trains for the general public. Perhaps you confuse NARP with the NRHS. If foamers flock to Montana to take photos of Amtrak trains or if foamers ride passenger trains without any particular reason to get from A to B except the joy of the ride, that's not the fault of NARP.

No, but follow up "NARP sucks" with a viable alternative. If there isn't one, start one.
I have neither the time, money, skills, networking, or inclination to start one and, quite frankly, that is a ridiculous demand. Should I refrain from criticizing the various political parties in California as well if I do not start my own?

No, but follow up "NARP sucks" with a viable alternative. If there isn't one, start one.
I have neither the time, money, skills, networking, or inclination to start one and, quite frankly, that is a ridiculous demand. Should I refrain from criticizing the various political parties in California as well if I do not start my own?
You want to know what ridiculous looks like? It looks just like this...

Paulus said:
So when there's discussion of NARP trying to market itself to my own demographic I should just ignore it unless it's something on the order of "Gosh, they sure are some wonderful folks!"? Should we all sit around, singing kumbayah, and let the positive energy flow towards NARP?
Rather than whining about NARP you're free to suggest your own preferred form of advocacy. If you don't have one and can't be bothered to join anyone or even research who you might join then what are you even doing in this thread? Your time is obviously too precious to spend here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do my own independent advocacy (right now generally stuck with online because of time/money issues and how things have morphed) and I've never been shy about saying what I think ought to be done. I simply have not seen an organization that I feel is worth donating money to nor do I see joining an organization as a necessity. So, once again, back to my original point: What has NARP to entice me or give me a reason to join?

Yes, "start your own" might be a little much, but I don't think that it's too much to bring *something* to the conversation other than complaints.

Thanks, GML, Jishnu and Charlie. I'll have to look into RUN. Looks interesting.

Yes, "start your own" might be a little much, but I don't think that it's too much to bring *something* to the conversation other than complaints.
It was a specific comment on a specific campaign by NARP, I honestly don't know why I would be expected to suggest an alternate organization when making it.

Back