Coach seating on palmetto 89 train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wade

I purchased seats in coach on palmetto 89 train, is this going to be comfortable, will i have a plug for charger. What is biggest difference between coach and business seting on this train.

How long is your trip, and are you traveling alone? If you are only going part way, they will steer you to the Amfleet I coach, which has less legroom. But there will still be a double outlet under the window. CJ

I purchase seats in coach on palmetto 89 train, is this going to be comfortable, will i have a plug for charger. What is biggest difference between coach and business seting on this train.
Up to $60. Seats are about all the same size. Pitch between rows can be a bit better in BC plus you get a newspaper, mini sodas, and coffee.

The Palmetto often runs with one "Amfleet I" car (72 seats) where passengers riding for short distances are assigned seats. The remainder of the train, or the entire train when there is no Amfleet I car assigned, is "Amfleet II" cars (59 seats) whether sold as regular coach or business class. There is no difference between business class seat pitch and regular coach seat pitch in a 59-seat car, but there certainly is if you would be assigned to the 72-seat car. Seat width is identical in the 59-seat and 72-seat cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Palmetto consist last Saturday had 3 Amfleet II and one Amfleet I as the Coach section. The BC was an Amfleet I BC (Metroliner car with Capstone refurb). The Lounge was NER branded Amfleet I. And of course there was a Heritage Baggage up front.

I think there is a bit of a difference in seat pitch between Amfleet I BC cars and Amfleet II Coaches, with the Amfleet II having a somewhat greater seat pitch. It felt that way but I did not measure.

I traveleld to Richmond from Trenton and I was assigned to an Amfleet II car. So just because you are short haul does not necessarily mean you will be in the Amfleet I car. It depends on which specific destination you are going to to some extent I think.

It's rare for an Amfleet I BC to be assigned. It happens occasionally on the Carolinian too.

How the train crew decides who's a "short" and who's not is a mystery. Sometimes it depends on their whim.

Another thing to take into consideration in seat assignments is final destination, irrespective of short or long. I've noticed that crews will often attempt to seat all pax going to a certain stop in the same or adjoining car. This works best for both the coach attendant and the train crew when the station has a short platform. They don't have to open all doors, plus passengers aren't shlepping several cars to find the open door. Just one more variable to consider I guess.

It's rare for an Amfleet I BC to be assigned. It happens occasionally on the Carolinian too.
That maybe so. But I have been on the Carolinian and the Palmetto 8 times over the last two years and each time the Business Class service was provided by an Amfleet I BC car. That of course doe not prove anything. Just conveying what my personal experience has been.

That maybe so. But I have been on the Carolinian and the Palmetto 8 times over the last two years and each time the Business Car service was provided by an Amfleet I BC car. That of course doe not prove anything. Just conveying what my personal experience has been.
What it proves is that I should ride when you ride. It's a real bummer to get stuck in a 72-seater sold as BC on the Carolinian, and I have those t-shirts.

Yeah, ya never know. The very same day that I was sitting in a nice BC car on the Palmetto, the northbound Crescent, running half an hour ahead of schedule had two Amfleet Is subbing for Amfleet IIs!

Another thing to take into consideration in seat assignments is final destination, irrespective of short or long. I've noticed that crews will often attempt to seat all pax going to a certain stop in the same or adjoining car. This works best for both the coach attendant and the train crew when the station has a short platform. They don't have to open all doors, plus passengers aren't shlepping several cars to find the open door. Just one more variable to consider I guess.
When I rode the Palmetto from NYP-RVR this past November the RVR pax were in an AF-II and North Carolina pax were in an AF-I.

thanks, I am getting on in Philly and off in Florence SC, didn't want to upgrade because traveling with kids so bought six tickets. but looks like might have a decent trip if attendents put us in a good car. still beats a minivan for 11 hrs.

Yes, your kids will love the train. There's much more room to move around, and they can color, play video games, or watch movies. (Bring headphones.) I've seen a lot of kids kneeling on their seats and looking at the scenery for most of the trip, though. Being on a train and seeing the sights is WAY cooler than being in a car on the boring, old interstate. :)

thanks, I am getting on in Philly and off in Florence SC, didn't want to upgrade because traveling with kids so bought six tickets. but looks like might have a decent trip if attendents put us in a good car. still beats a minivan for 11 hrs.
I'm pretty sure of this but others may correct me. If you get a 72 seat coach try to switch cars when you arrive in DC. There should be 6 seats available. The conductors will remove all of the seat checks in all of the cars upon arrival in DC and the new Crew that takes control in DC will ask to see all tickets. They will not know where you were sitting. It's worth a try.

Guest Wade, not only does riding Amtrak save 11 hours of driving in Minivan from Philly to Florence, you and your family are much safer than driving on the I-95 which at times can be quite dangerous. Besides your family being able to enjoy the ride and move about the train as desired, you can rest when you want with someone else in charge of getting you safely to your destination.

When you return from your trip, would you consider telling us about your first impression of using Amtrak service, your family's feedback and if you have any suggestions. Perhaps you could share your thoughts with us on this same thread?

The Palmetto is receive only until WAS, its not a normal Regional going on the NEC. It does mean you only have those passengers who've gotten on in NYP, NWK, and PHL to contest for seats though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back