2 for 1 Cascades coupon: No bus connections?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC4400

Lead Service Attendant
There was a 2 for 1 special on Amtrak Cascades route from January to end of February. I just earned 2 free one-way coupon on Cascades.

However, it looks like the coupon doesn't allow bus connections. Is that true?

What I need is SEA-ALY (509-5509, transfer at PDX), but through the coupon, it doesn't allow me to select 509, but only direct trains like 507.

You can ride BoltBus to Albany Thursday-Monday, dirt cheap fares! Three schedules a day, takes 2:20. Site: https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx.

Fronteras del Norte, a Mexican bus company, also runs Portland-Albany, but thier site is only in Spanish, and their drivers probably speak only Spanish. It appears they use some Euro-style non-integral buses, which can't match BoltBus's integrals.

Thanks a million for the info! :D

I've never heard of Fronteras del Norte before!

BTW, I called Amtrak Guest Rewards about the coupon usage and they said YES for trip with bus connections. So they simply redeemed the coupon for 0 points/$0.

Next time I'll try the Mexican company.

You can ride BoltBus to Albany Thursday-Monday, dirt cheap fares! Three schedules a day, takes 2:20. Site: https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx.

Fronteras del Norte, a Mexican bus company, also runs Portland-Albany, but thier site is only in Spanish, and their drivers probably speak only Spanish. It appears they use some Euro-style non-integral buses, which can't match BoltBus's integrals.

BTW, I called Amtrak Guest Rewards about the coupon usage and they said YES for trip with bus connections. So they simply redeemed the coupon for 0 points/$0.

Why should you try the Mexican company? They're not even a good company by Mexican standards, because there are Mexican lines with integral buses and bilingual websites. Plus after I figure they make FIVE stops in between Portland and Albany

I'm glad things worked out with AGR though. Enjoy the Cascades and tell us about the contracted bus connection, they don't sell individual tickets AFAIK. The only tickets I found from Portland to Albany were BoltBus and Fronteras del Norte. Not even Greyhound goes to Albany.

OT: I see you're taken Chinese trains, including the very slow high-numbered "green" trains, I've always found them the most interesting to ride. The language barrier and openable windows just made it so much more fun than the newer trains.

Why should you try the Mexican company? They're not even a good company by Mexican standards, because there are Mexican lines with integral buses and bilingual websites. Plus after I figure they make FIVE stops in between Portland and Albany

I'm glad things worked out with AGR though. Enjoy the Cascades and tell us about the contracted bus connection, they don't sell individual tickets AFAIK. The only tickets I found from Portland to Albany were BoltBus and Fronteras del Norte. Not even Greyhound goes to Albany.

OT: I see you're taken Chinese trains, including the very slow high-numbered "green" trains, I've always found them the most interesting to ride. The language barrier and openable windows just made it so much more fun than the newer trains.
Ah ha. I've tried Boltbus and Greyhound, and Valley Retriever between Portland and Albany/Corvallis. I'm just curious about another service.

It's amazed to know that you recognized the Chinese train numbers! :)

Yes, I'm a big fan of Green trains. I've tried nearly all the Green trains from Beijing, 6451 6453 6437 6427 6417 4449 6095 4447 4471.

The number starts with 6 or greater means "slow" trains, 4 and 5 means "normal fast" trains, which make just fewer stops than slow trains.

We can talk more offline.

Back