Tom's Train Trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siberianmo

Service Attendant
Ahoy Train Travelers!

My hope is to provide some snaps of scenes along the rails during my train trips throughout the U.S. and Canada.

For the record, I am an average "point and shoot" kinda guy. Many of my fotos were taken from the last car in the consist, through the vestibule window with the lens up against the glass. Dirty window most times, the majority of my shots were worth the effort. Others that will appear here are from my bedroom windows.

Here is the first - a teaser - of what I hope to be a continuing series from me.

IMG_0279_zpsb01be742.jpg

This particular scene was taken aboard the east bound California Zephyr - Amtrak #6 (date shown on foto) and as I recall was about a half hour or so west of Truckee, California in the High Sierras. Perhaps my FAY-VOR-IYTE segment of the run. Then again, when you view the snaps through Colorado perhaps OH-PIN-YUNS will change.

Enjoy - and oh yes, please know that I am not one of those "proprietary" people when it comes to use of my personal fotos.

Good Morning All,

Many thanx for the encouraging feedback . . .

Now that my feet are wet, time for another dip into my archives of rail trips.

DSC00169-1_zps3ef60d6d.jpg

This one is of Mt. McKinley in Alaska taken from the observation deck of the upper level dome car aboard the Denali Star en route Anchorage from Fairbanks. The trip was a special one for us - 15th wedding anniversary - and also my return to the 49th state where I had lived during 1959-60. Anyway, if you have not seen the sights of Alaska, perhaps this foto will entice you!

DSC00208-1_zpsaef82a2a.jpg

The observation deck of "our" car which was behind the baggage car in the consist. The lower level of this car is a dining room for exclusive use of the passengers booked in that car.

DSC00221-1_zps110c3015.jpg

Southbound Denali Star . . . We had begun our adventure in Anchorage aboard the northbound. Stayed a few nights at Denali National Park then up to Fairbanks for a couple (as in two) more nights. The southbound trip had the best visibility, although overall we lucked out for that time of year.

Enjoy!

Back