Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Trains

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

Removed . 

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#2 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

7. Minute Maid Park (HB&T Union Station )
This ball park at first was named Enron Field due to the scandal and as a result the name was changed to Minute Maid Park . It was constructed from Union Station which sat dormant and no tracks no longer serve it . The stadium was constructed as a monument to the station which has a locomotive and tender working on the roof during Astros games . It does have a retractable roof . The stadium is located in downtown in the northeast corner east of the city jail and the justice center. It is home to the Houston Astros .

My photo from when I was here for a game in 2010:

5013428708_af91f9a8aa_b.jpg

I assume the locomotive looks a bit different now, since the Astros have changed their logo since 2010.

(I stayed at the Hilton Americas hotel on that trip -- it was very nice.)

#3 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Removed .

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#4 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

Removed .

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#5 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

7. Minute Maid Park (HB&T Union Station )
This ball park at first was named Enron Field due to the scandal and as a result the name was changed to Minute Maid Park . It was constructed from Union Station which sat dormant and no tracks no longer serve it . The stadium was constructed as a monument to the station which has a locomotive and tender working on the roof during Astros games . It does have a retractable roof . The stadium is located in downtown in the northeast corner east of the city jail and the justice center. It is home to the Houston Astros .

I don't know if there are official visitor tours of this building, but I managed to talk the security guy into turning a blind eye to me slipping inside and taking a few photos some years ago. He didn't seem totally comfortable about that though so I didn't push my luck too far.

I also visited the stadium some years previously as part of a corporate event in the nearby Convention Center, but they didn't provide very much information about the history, which is why I decided to come back and see more for myself.

10. Hilton Americas Hotel 
This Hotel is exquisite for those who do luxury travel . Located near the above mention venues , It will give you your moniesworth if you're looking for a hotel that has class and taste . Located in downtown near the park shops mall which is now a business center and food court . 

There is more to come .

I did stay here once, when I was on the previously mentioned corporate event. I was too busy to explore any of the amenities though, so maybe it was wasted on me. Some years later I stayed at the Four Seasons, which I actually found more pleasant.

Also worthy of mention is the park between the hotels and the Convention Center. There is a pretty pond and some nice coffee houses where you can recharge your batteries during busy conventions. The area is very pleasant during daytime but at night vagrants and panhandlers do move in, although the ones I met were neither dangerous nor threatening.

Another nearby place worth exploring is Christchurch Cathedral. This is close to the Minute maid Stadium and I got a very fascinating guided tour.

#6 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I don't know if there are official visitor tours of this building, but I managed to talk the security guy into turning a blind eye to me slipping inside and taking a few photos some years ago. He didn't seem totally comfortable about that though so I didn't push my luck too far.]

Looks like they do offer official Minute Maid Park tours: information here.

#7 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

Removed . 

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#8 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Removed .

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#9 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

I don't know if there are official visitor tours of this building, but I managed to talk the security guy into turning a blind eye to me slipping inside and taking a few photos some years ago. He didn't seem totally comfortable about that though so I didn't push my luck too far.]

Looks like they do offer official Minute Maid Park tours: information here.

hmmm- How odd the security guard didn't direct me to that. I would have preferred an official tour to inconveniencing him the way I did.

#10 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

I don't know if I have posted these before (apologies if I have), but these were taken inside the Minute Maid stadium when I was there on a corporate event in 2008. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't aware of the historical significance of the place, otherwise I would have taken more pictures. The first picture shows the train in the background on top of the wall. This actually moves and makes train noises. Behind it the head house of the old station can be seen.

080517.19.jpg

a close-up of the train

080517.20.jpg

a show, as you can see, most people weren't paying much attention

080517.21.jpg

and the locomotive outside

080517.22.jpg

#11 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

hmmm- How odd the security guard didn't direct me to that. I would have preferred an official tour to inconveniencing him the way I did.

Maybe they weren't doing the tours that day, or else he didn't have the information at hand? Looks like the schedule can be variable, to account for games and other events that are taking place.

#12 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Some random pictures that might be of interest. All taken pin my last visit in April 2012. The first is a building near UH Downtown with the logo of the Southern Pacific on it. Not sure what the story of this is ...

140302.08.jpg

Metro tracks being put in

140302.11.jpg

Inside the Astros / Minute Maid Park / Headhouse of old railroad station

(I'm not sure if photography was allowed here as the guard looked very uncomfortable when I took it, meanwhile the lady at the desk was doing her best to pretend she hadn't noticed)

140302.13.jpg

#13 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

continued ...

Oak lined walkway

140302.22.jpg

going to the convention center

140302.21.jpg

and some architectural gems

140302.17.jpg

140302.20.jpg

#14 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Removed .

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#15 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

Removed .

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#16 Crossover

Crossover

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Removed .

Edited by Crossover, 22 March 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#17 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

Just thought I would add a couple of recommendations for restaurants near the Amtrak station. Just the other side of the freeway is the Downtown Aquarium, part of Tilman Fertitta's Landry's empire. It is worth a visit, and there is a Ferris Wheel and a carousel on property for amusement. I've had the food and it is quite good, although pricy pricy pricy.

Where I'm much more likely to head for a casual lunch or dinner is the Spaghetti Warehouse at 901 Commerce, just a little over a half mile (Google calls it 0.6 and 12 minutes walk) from the Amtrak station down Franklin Street (then jog a block to the left at Travis...if you cross the light rail tracks at Main, you've gone a block too far). Prices are reasonable and the portions are generous and good quality. Just be advised that this is a very popular place; if you arrive at the dinner hour on a theater night or just about any Saturday, don't be surprised if you see a line out the door.

One other place that I sometimes frequent downtown is Birraporetti's at 500 Louiisiana St., sandwiched between the Alley Theater and the Wortham Theater. It's a half-mile 10 minute walk from the Amtrak station as long as you don't take a wrong turn. As you might expect they cater to the late-night crowd and prices are on the high side but the menu has a good selection and it has a more upscale atmosphere than the Spaghetti Warehouse.

Edited by ehbowen, 25 December 2014 - 10:36 AM.

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#18 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

I'll be in Houston for three days and I was wondering if I should visit the Museum of Natural Science on the first day or the Holocaust Museum. Whatever I don't visit on the first day would be on the third day.

Also, is there any way to get to the USS Texas without a car?

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#19 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,300 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

The USS Texas is docked on Buffalo Bayou ( now the Houston Ship Channel)next to the San Jacinto Monument in San Jacinto Park between Pasadena/Deer Park, Channelview and Baytown! There is no way to get there without a car unless you're with a tour group and make arrangements in advance! Its a good 20 miles from downtown!

A cab would be impractical and hugely expensive!

Sorry can't advise on the Museums, but downtown Houston has a lot going on including the Light Rail Lineon Main Street, and the 1st Place Houston Astros that play in Beautiful Minute Maid Park downtown that is built on the site of the old Union Station on Texas Avenue and Crawford St.! The front entrance is the old Head House for the Station!Worth a tour even if the Astros aren't playing!

Edited by jimhudson, 04 July 2015 - 11:49 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

If you get to visit the USS Texas (which is very cool), I recommend the Hard Hat Tour if one of their dates fits your schedule. It an awesome tour going many places you cannot see on the general tour.

http://www.usstexasb...d-hat-tours.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users