98(2/20/14) Delayed Jesup GA-CSX train strikes trespassers-Doctortown

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
98(20) Delayed Jesup account CSX train striking trespassers at Doctortown

A northbound CSX intermodal train struck several persons trespassing on the Altamaha River trestle at Doctortown, Ga. This is between Savannah & Jesup. Reports from first responders at the scene are one fatality, one critically injured, and one with unknown injuries.

98(20) is stopped at Jesup waiting for the local authorities to complete their investigation. 52(20) is not too far behind and could potentially be delayed as well.

http://www.wsav.com/story/24780061/one-killed-two-injured-in-wayne-county-train-accident

Last edited by a moderator:
Drivel media reporting:

1. This is NOT a train accident.

2. Filming by the track on a bridge. Huh? Was the track on the bridge? Were they near the track on the bridge or off the bridge and by the track?

3. ~ they do have deputies and a witness on the scene ~ So are they law enforcement? Interns? And who's the witness in relation to the filming crew? Since it was caught on film why should we bother with a witness?

4. Why did a group of filming idiots decide to endanger themselves by going onto a railroad bridge with freight and passenger trains running daily? Why isn't anyone at WSAV asking that question?

The crew, including director Randall Miller, had placed a bed on the tracks for the scene and was expecting two trains on the local bridge, one in each direction, when a third train arrived unexpectedly.A whistle warned the crew members of the next train, giving them less than a minute, which was too late.

Miller, who also directed the 2008 film “Bottle Shock,” and the still photographer rushed to get the bed off the tracks while the rest of the crew tried to get off the bridge on a plank walk-way. They were still trying to get off the bridge when the train arrived.The second camera assistant was then struck and killed by the train.
Just run! Why on earth would you try to save that? :(

Did the movie company have permission from CSX to be on the bridge? If so, you'd think there would have been some type of communication going on!

I wondered the same thing. They said they "expected" two trains, but did they have a timetable or just go by what they'd heard/witnessed or what?

I figured, with permission from CSX, they'd have someone there with a radio who could monitor traffic and let them know when it was okay to film and when it was time to clear. They could also hold trains in a block until it was clear, yes?

The production company did not have permission to be on CSX property, I understand. That's why they were considered to be trespassers upon private property.

edit: clarity, as usual

Did the movie company have permission from CSX to be on the bridge? If so, you'd think there would have been some type of communication going on!
That is my big question too. The circumstances with the information shared so far do not follow logical standard operating procedures. If CSX gave permission and was allowing such a filming on the active rail line there would've been a lot more protections place, like flag/watchmen on the ground and speed restrictions. Doesn't sound like a situation that would've made it through the legal department nor approved due to liability regardless.

Aloha

Generally when a commercial "film" apply for a County film permit they are required to submit a record of all Private permissions receive for any access to private land before a county permit is done. If they failed to do this, including the supporting insurance, I feel real sorry for the injured as worker comp will not cover.

What a legal, stupid mess!

Drivel media reporting:

1. This is NOT a train accident.

2. Filming by the track on a bridge. Huh? Was the track on the bridge? Were they near the track on the bridge or off the bridge and by the track?

3. ~ they do have deputies and a witness on the scene ~ So are they law enforcement? Interns? And who's the witness in relation to the filming crew? Since it was caught on film why should we bother with a witness?

4. Why did a group of filming idiots decide to endanger themselves by going onto a railroad bridge with freight and passenger trains running daily? Why isn't anyone at WSAV asking that question?
This was a breaking news story. The WSAV report that was linked to was a very brief early report. Questions and more information will be in updated reports that are now showing up. I don't see the problem with the initial WSAV report. And yes, it appeared to have been an accident involving a train, so a train accident is a legit description.

Based on the later news, there will be a lot of questions as to why the film crew was on the bridge and what the heck was going on.

Good grief. They knew it was an active railroad line, and they trespassed on a BRIDGE? Darwin Award time.

Aloha

Generally when a commercial "film" apply for a County film permit they are required to submit a record of all Private permissions receive for any access to private land before a county permit is done. If they failed to do this, including the supporting insurance, I feel real sorry for the injured as worker comp will not cover.

What a legal, stupid mess!
Eric - why wouldn't it be a work comp claim? Work comp does not deny based on stupidity! I handled WC claims in many states for 25 years. Everything I read here lends itself to being covered. Maybe Georgia has strange laws, but I would think the victims would be fully covered. Only thing that would keep them from being covered is if they were independent contractors and not employees of the film company. And there is case law around that sometimes even allows the independent contractor to fall under the WC policy of the business they work for.

Eric - why wouldn't it be a work comp claim? Work comp does not deny based on stupidity! I handled WC claims in many states for 25 years. Everything I read here lends itself to being covered. Maybe Georgia has strange laws, but I would think the victims would be fully covered. Only thing that would keep them from being covered is if they were independent contractors and not employees of the film company. And there is case law around that sometimes even allows the independent contractor to fall under the WC policy of the business they work for.
Do WC claims cover people while they engaged in an illegal act (trespass in this case)?

Now that it has been established that the film crew DID have permission to be on the bridge, perhaps certain posters would like to modify their initial remarks.

Now that it has been established that the film crew DID have permission to be on the bridge, perhaps certain posters would like to modify their initial remarks.
What is your source for this? I'd find it highly unlikely thst CSX would give permission to film on a busy main line at any time of day.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

The article in the first post has been updated, a Deputy Sheriff says that they had CSX permission.

We'll have to wait and see how the facts play out in this one.
If that's indeed the case (which I'd seriously doubt), then a whole herd of plaintiff's lawyers will be descending on SE Georgia real soon.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

The article in the first post has been updated, a Deputy Sheriff says that they had CSX permission.

We'll have to wait and see how the facts play out in this one.
CSX gave them permission to put props, like a bed, across their active tracks? If true, I hope their families end up owning CSX.

Why not wait until the facts are in before assigning blame for this event? It is astonishing how quick people are to condemn both the victims and the media that are trying to get a breaking story out.

Back