• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 siberianmo

siberianmo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Passenger rail - model railroading - walking with my dog - reading (historical fiction - political points of view - wartime accounts - and of course, train books!)

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

While this may be a bit dated in terms of the original discussion, I wish to chime in.

My travels aboard Amtrak (along with other North American Railroads) has been extensive - all for pleasure with each 

long distance route traveled both ways on more than one occasion. One could perhaps refer to me as an addict - 

when it comes to train travel, congenial ladies and puppies. Oooooops, I digressed.

Within recent months, I have been discarding much of my professional and personal memorabilia. The dumpster(s) 

have been full of all sorts of "stuff" ranging from high school, college, military, police, sports yearbooks, scorecards,  

old tax records, useless legal papers, and travel related materials. It is simply amazing just how much "stuff" one

accumulates. I am still mulling over what to do with a few dozen Kodak carousel trays full of 35mm slides! And no 

thanx - not interested in digitizing. My mind's eye works quite well, even at 77!

My rationale is quite simple - if I have not looked at it in over a decade, why keep it? I surely do not want my better

half having to deal with "what to do" when the time comes. That is just Moi, folks. So over the side it went . . . 

Now to the point of this post: I jettisoned all of my Amtrak schedules from the 1980's to present times - all of it, gone-zo. 

I figured if the need should arise, the internet would be my source for whatever I might need.

Guess what? I needed to reaffirm some train schedule dates for photo albums being assembled. 

With heartfelt thanks to the creators of The Museum of Railway Timetables, I now have what I need to complete my project. 

Irrespective of perhaps not seeing anything beyond 2010, what has been so well organized and user friendly has been a gold 

mine of resource for me.

Most appreciatively,

Tom in Chesterfield, MO

Tom - siberianmo

Alaska RR: Denali Star

Amtrak: Acela Express - Ann Rutledge - California Zephyr - Capitol Limited - Cardinal - Cascades - City of New Orleans - Coast Starlight - Crescent - Empire Builder (Portland & Seattle) - Lake Shore Limited (Boston & NY City) - Lincoln Service - Metroliner - Missouri Mule - Missouri River Runner - Pacific Surfliner - Silver Meteor - Silver Star - Sunset Limited - Texas Eagle 

BC Rail: Cariboo Prospector

VIA Rail: Atlantic - Bras d'Or - Canadian - Chaleur - Corridor (Brantford/Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto) - Ocean 

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,306 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

Excellent idea Tom!

"Travel light and travel right!"

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

Irrespective of perhaps not seeing anything beyond 2010, what has been so well organized and user friendly has been a gold 

mine of resource for me.

Most appreciatively,

Tom in Chesterfield, MO

I agree the Museum is a great resource.

I've been compiling the most recent timetables myself, and the ones since 2010 are available at this link

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#24 siberianmo

siberianmo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Passenger rail - model railroading - walking with my dog - reading (historical fiction - political points of view - wartime accounts - and of course, train books!)

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

For: jimhudson - Works for me!

Amazing how my basement seems to be so much larger after ridding it of so many things gathering dust.

Four outdated PC's, two laptops, all of the peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.), software and yards of connecting cables. All gone-zo!

And get this! A beer can collection of over one thousand cans - some undoubtedly "worth something," but I have no desire to 

get into that sort of thing. Of course they were empty before discarding to the recyclers. 

Also some patio furniture and empty boxes sitting up in the garage rafters - never knew the garage had such an interesting interior above the vehicles.

Oh. add to that three legal size boxes of theatre programs, sports ticket stubs and associated literature over two decades. 

For: acelafan - Many thanx for that link! It may come in handy one of these daze . . . 

Tom

Tom - siberianmo

Amtrak: Acela Express - Ann Rutledge - California Zephyr - Capitol Limited - Cardinal - Cascades - City of New Orleans - Coast Starlight - Crescent - Empire Builder (Portland & Seattle) - Lake Shore Limited (Boston & NY City) - Lincoln Service - Metroliner - Missouri Mule - Missouri River Runner - Pacific Surfliner - Silver Meteor - Silver Star - Sunset Limited - Texas Eagle 

VIA Rail: Atlantic - Bras d'Or - Canadian - Chaleur - Corridor (Brantford/Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto) - Ocean 

#25 Ispolkom

Ispolkom

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

Siberianmo,

Someone someday will thank you for what you did.  My brother died suddenly last September, leaving a townhouse full of... stuff.  Some valuable, some not so much, and a whole lot really not valuable at all.  It's rather disheartening to go through it all, especially the box marked, "Sort through 1993."  

It's also a good idea to have a will, but that's an issue for another day.

#26 siberianmo

siberianmo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

For: Ispolkom - Perhaps that may happen - however, I doubt that the "message" will get through where I most likely will wind up! Anyway . . .

Speaking only for myself, I have never really been a "string saver," having spent 32 years in the military with moves every 3 or 4 years - it just 

made better sense to lighten the load as the moves occurred. However, having been anchored in one port for a long, long time as a retiree - simply 

amazing how the "stuff" accumulated.

The material things of importance are indeed covered within our estate planning - good advice though. 

Good chat - even if off the mark for this topic; my fault!

Tom - siberianmo

#27 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:05 AM

Nathanael,

As others have said, you would certainly be welcome as a member.  I know that I, for one, would be happy to have you on here.

As to the timetables, one thing to remember is that changes to them in the last few years have been minimal.  The biggest changes I can recall are a shift in the NB Silver Meteor of 15-30 minutes earlier (depending on your stop) and a similar shift in the Adirondack (regarding padding around Albany).  Other than that, the system has mostly been static with the exception of two trains being extended (to Norfolk, VA and Brunswick, ME).

Don't forget the Sunset Limited schedules being changed!

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#28 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

I like it.

#29 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Nathanael,

As others have said, you would certainly be welcome as a member.  I know that I, for one, would be happy to have you on here.

As to the timetables, one thing to remember is that changes to them in the last few years have been minimal.  The biggest changes I can recall are a shift in the NB Silver Meteor of 15-30 minutes earlier (depending on your stop) and a similar shift in the Adirondack (regarding padding around Albany).  Other than that, the system has mostly been static with the exception of two trains being extended (to Norfolk, VA and Brunswick, ME).

Don't forget the Sunset Limited schedules being changed!

How is the Sunset Limited schedule being changed? I probably will be on that train next March.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail

Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9

Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC

Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users