• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Speaking of that if you don't have a sleeper aboard the Portland-Spokane leg of the Empire Builder, does that at least have a cafe car(of course where you'd have to pay) for coach passengers? I totally understand on all long distance routes, that complimentary meals are only for sleeper passengers.

There is *always* a sleeper and cafe on the Portland section of the Empire Builder, along with two coaches.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#102 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

Yep, the Sightseer Lounge on the is on the PDX-SPK Section of the Builder ( the Diner is on the Seattle Section)with Cafe Downstairs.

Sleeper passengers receive a Boxed Dinner ( very good!😎) out of Portland and a Boxed Breakfast ( Not so good!😣)on the way from SPK-PDX along the Columbia!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#103 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

Speaking of that if you don't have a sleeper aboard the Portland-Spokane leg of the Empire Builder, does that at least have a cafe car(of course where you'd have to pay) for coach passengers? I totally understand on all long distance routes, that complimentary meals are only for sleeper passengers.

There is *always* a sleeper and cafe on the Portland section of the Empire Builder, along with two coaches.
There have been trips, rather infrequently, without a lounge, though there isn't usually a replacement for it.

#104 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:22 PM

The latest chart doesn't show 49/449 breakfast before arrival. Did that go away?

#105 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,614 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

The latest chart doesn't show 49/449 breakfast before arrival. Did that go away?

The chart is in error. Breakfast is indeed served on 49/449.

#106 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Yep, the Sightseer Lounge on the is on the PDX-SPK Section of the Builder ( the Diner is on the Seattle Section)with Cafe Downstairs.

Sleeper passengers receive a Boxed Dinner ( very good!) out of Portland and a Boxed Breakfast ( Not so good!)on the way from SPK-PDX along the Columbia!

Interesting insight, that the boxed dinner from Portland has better food vs. the food out of the cafe car going west to Portland. I guess the fact they can use a full service kitchen somewhere inside the Portland station, vs. how little room the cafe car has to prepare food going west from Spokane, would make a difference in that the food quality would be better going eastbound? 

#107 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,845 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Both boxed meals on #27/#28 are Catered by a Contractor, not prepared by Amtrak.

The Dinner out of Portland is really good with several choices, but the Breakfast on the way from Spokane to Portland is Second Rate in Comparison to Breakfast in Amtraks Diners and the Box Dinner.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#108 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

The quality of the boxed dinner out of Portland is in my opinion much higher than the boxed breakfast. I have ridden to Portland several times in coach from Spokane and to me the quality of the breakfast items from the lounge car is higher than that of the boxed dinner. Just my opinion of course.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users