95 replies to this topic

#41 TVRM610

TVRM610

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

If you ride a train from end point to end point you will never get fewer meals because the train is late....

Also... I've never boarded the Crescent in Atlanta and not been offered dinner, even when the train was almost 2 hours late which pushed the meal time to almost 10. Ditto for Lunch on the Silver Meteor out of Orlando.
<p>Amtrak <br>
Acela Express*, Cascades (Talgo) Service*, California Zephyr*, Capitol Limited*, Cardinal, Carolinian*, City of New Orleans*, Coast Starlight*, Crescent*, Downeaster, Empire Builder*, Illinois Zephyr*, Keystone Corridor*, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service*, Maple Leaf*, NE Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Piedmont*, River Cities, San Joaquin,  Silver Meteor*, Silver Star*, Saluki, Southwest Chief*, Texas Eagle. <br>
VIA <br>
Canadian* <br>
* = Ridden Complete route from end to end. <br>

#42 Golden grrl

Golden grrl

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Local history, bicycles, train trips

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

The way to present this is to present the standard "Amtrak meal hours" first.

Then say:

Many trains are scheduled to depart their initial station during one of these mealtimes, or arrive at the final station during one of these mealtimes. People often ask whether they will get a meal in this case, and this varies by train. The following is a listing the meals *normally served* if you are travelling from end to end on the train.

If the train is running late, you may get fewer meals -- you will *not* generally get extra meals beyond these, although the crew will provide emergency food in extreme cases.

Regarding Extra meals/emergency food.

I rode on an extremely late CL from Chi to Was earlier this week. Scheduled departure of 6:40 pm was delayed until midnight. Scheduled arrival in WAS of 1:10 pm was delayed until 7:40 pm.

On the train, we were served

1) dessert [2 choices] and coffee [no other beverages]

2) breakfast

3) lunch

4) Amstew with rice

The delay was Amtrak's fault. We were told it was a mechanical issue, rumor was that they took a loco from a SWC to use on the CL. On my arrival on the SWC into CHI and check in to the lounge, the Metro lounge attendants had no word of a delay, and went ahead to take dinner reservations. About an hour later, we learned of a delay of at least an hour and so it went through the afternoon and evening. We were told several times that we would be served dinner, even though late. Finally, the CHI station agent ordered us sandwiches and chips, which arrived about 30-45 minutes before the train arrived - but they failed to order enough, so a second order went out and arrived later.

For vegetarians, a word of warning-all the ordered sandwiches were heavily meat laden, so if you get caught in a similar situation, have some backup food available. The goldfish and pretzel snacks one might normally expect to see in the lounge all had been consumed far before the scheduled CL departure, because there were 5 other trains that day with significant departure delays from CHI.

I am not blaming the dining car staff for the "dessert and coffee" abbreviated meal service. The onboard staff had TRIED to set us up for meal service and started cooking food before the consist pulled into CUS. They were not informed of how long the delay would last, either. But after 4 hours, they legally had to dump ALL the food, so there was nothing available to serve for dinner. We finally learned this when we were boarding the train, way too late for anyone to obtain food items from the station - and besides, most of the food service areas in Union Station already had closed, anyway.

Although they did not have a lot of resources to work with, the dining car staff really did try to serve us and put in far longer hours than they should have had to do.

One other caution. We nearly ran out of bottled water in the sleepers and dining car. Had fewer people been bustituted or switched to other alternatives at Pittsburgh, we definitely would have been out of bottled water. I've had this water scarcity happen in December, too, on a 2 hour late CL. So I think I'm going to start buying a big bottle beforehand and carry that with me. For some reason, the Capitol Limited dries me out far more than other long distance trains, and I routinely have nose bleeds when that happens.

#43 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

If the train is running late, you may get fewer meals -- you will *not* generally get extra meals beyond these, although the crew will provide emergency food in extreme cases.

There are two kinds of delays IMO and they are treated differently in regards to meals.

I was on a silver that was a few hours delayed into NYP. By the time we arrived it was around 2 pm but no lunch was served. Not that big of a deal.

But I was on an extremely delayed EB and we absolutely got extra meals. We got am stew and then they ordered KFC for us after that. We missed lunch one day bc of bustitution but we probably got three or four extra meals on board.

#44 blueman271

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Traveling and the Miami Dolphins

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

The Silver Star northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, abbreviated dinner served after departure from Washington.
Pride Runs Deep

#45 nferr

nferr

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Just rode the Silver Meteor Northbound last week. 

Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner-Breakfast

#46 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

For the sake of consolidation:

I note that we've gotten two conflicting reports on whether the Crescent serves lunch heading into NY.
Also, I was mistaken earlier: we're missing the Silver Meteor *southbound*. We seem to have everything else more or less.
Thanks to everyone for collecting this info.

Auto Train
- 52 Northbound: Dinner, Breakfast
- 53 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast

California Zephyr
- 5 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
- 6 Eastbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Capitol Limited
- 29 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast
- 30 Eastbound: Dinner, Brunch

Cardinal
- 51 Westbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
- 50 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

City of New Orleans
- 59 Southbound: Dinner (abbrev.), Breakfast, Lunch
- 58 Northbound: Dinner, Breakfast

Coast Starlight
- 11 Southbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- 14 Northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Crescent
- 19 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (abbrev.)
- 20 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch (? reports vary)

Empire Builder
- 7 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
- 27 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast (limited menu in cafe car)
- 8 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
- 28 Eastbound: Dinner (limited menu in cafe car), Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Lake Shore Limited
- 449 Westbound: Lunch (limited menu in cafe car), Dinner, Breakfast
- 49 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast
- 448 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (limited menu in cafe car)
- 48 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch (note: cafe car also closes at Albany)

Silver Meteor
- 98 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
- 97 Southbound: ??

Silver Star
- 92 Northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (abbrev.) after Washington
- 91 Southbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Southwest Chief
- 3 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast (abbrev.)
- 4 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Sunset Limited
- 1 Westbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Texas Eagle (Sunset Limited through cars will get additional meals)
- 21 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- 22 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

#47 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Riding the Rails, Gardening

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

well here is my first go at a table,,,, if you like it i will refine, PLEASE Make suggestions,,, (consider this V.1)

AmtrakLDMealSchedule_zps2287996e.jpg

The California Zephyr  The Cardinal The Capital Limited  The City of New Orleans

The Empire Builder The Lake Shore Limited   The Texas Eagle 

#48 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

I love the table!

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#49 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thanks here is version two,, i still would like readability comments. If were building a website I would have the notes popup on mousever,, I will see I can figure out someway to make that happen

AmtrakLDMealSchedule2_zps5cab981d.jpg

The California Zephyr  The Cardinal The Capital Limited  The City of New Orleans

#50 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

I think the first table is easier to read.

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#51 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

easier in what way? 

here is V3 (these area all at 85% in these drafts) 

I am considering the point of reference is not ALL meals at once, but the train I might be on,,, hence the trains are in # order,,

and now it is bed time for the old man, and thanks for your input

AmtrakLDMealSchedule3_zps416c8cb6.jpg

#52 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

I liked having the train names and text off to the left and then the color table on its own in the middle.

#53 Amy in TX

Amy in TX

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

For the sake of consolidation:

I note that we've gotten two conflicting reports on whether the Crescent serves lunch heading into NY.
Also, I was mistaken earlier: we're missing the Silver Meteor *southbound*. We seem to have everything else more or less.
Thanks to everyone for collecting this info.

Auto Train
- 52 Northbound: Dinner, Breakfast
- 53 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast

California Zephyr
- 5 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
- 6 Eastbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Capitol Limited
- 29 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast
- 30 Eastbound: Dinner, Brunch

Cardinal
- 51 Westbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
- 50 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

City of New Orleans
- 59 Southbound: Dinner (abbrev.), Breakfast, Lunch
- 58 Northbound: Dinner, Breakfast

Coast Starlight
- 11 Southbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- 14 Northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Crescent
- 19 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (abbrev.)
- 20 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch (? reports vary)

Empire Builder
- 7 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
- 27 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast (limited menu in cafe car)
- 8 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
- 28 Eastbound: Dinner (limited menu in cafe car), Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Lake Shore Limited
- 449 Westbound: Lunch (limited menu in cafe car), Dinner, Breakfast
- 49 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast
- 448 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (limited menu in cafe car)
- 48 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch (note: cafe car also closes at Albany)

Silver Meteor
- 98 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
- 97 Southbound: ??

Silver Star
- 92 Northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (abbrev.) after Washington
- 91 Southbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Southwest Chief
- 3 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast (abbrev.)
- 4 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Sunset Limited
- 1 Westbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Texas Eagle (Sunset Limited through cars will get additional meals)
- 21 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- 22 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Just to be a little  nitpicky, on the 48 EB the cafe car doesn't actually close at Albany, it goes to Boston on the 448.

#54 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Thanks here is version two,, i still would like readability comments.

You have (A) for abbreviated meals -- you should also have © for "limited meal selection in cafe car", since it happens four times (and never at the same time as abbreviated meals).

---

Regarding the eastbound service on #48, there's generally a lounge car -- which is the same equipment as the cafe car -- but it doesn't serve any food south of Albany either, and the diner closes too.

If the train's running on time, you could grab dinner in Albany. But if it's running late, you *need to have brought your own food*, especially if you have any sort of tendency towards hypoglycemia. It's actually the worst food service situation on Amtrak, which is why I feel that it's important to mention the situation explicitly; you are quite likely to actually need to carry your own dinner with you if traveling to NY on the #48.

Seriously, I should find some way to bring this situation up with someone appropriate in charge at Amtrak. The #48 food situation is an example of a "you really should fix that, you're leaving your customers feeling negative about you" situation -- as is any situation where customers walk off your train unexpectedly hungry, because hungry people are not happy customers.

#55 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

I liked having the train names and text off to the left and then the color table on its own in the middle.

Agreed.

Now, has anyone ridden the Meteor S/B or the tail end of the Crescent N/B recently? Last two missing data points...

#56 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Ugh, my "( C )" came out as ©. You know what I meant. C for cafe car.

#57 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Ah. For Silver Star Northbound, it should include a D(A) box. We probably don't need to mention that the abbreviated dinner starts after Washington, though someone did mention it so I figured it was information.

#58 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

two revised versions for your dining and dancing pleasure

AmtrakLDMealSchedule_zps44c74ff5.jpg

and for the landscape lovers

AmtrakLDMealSchedulelandscape_zps7f8675a

#59 RTE_TrainGuy

RTE_TrainGuy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for making these charts. They look great.

#60 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

use them as you please,,,, cross post if you feel like it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users