Sleeping Car and Meals ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chicagocrooza

We are going to be taking the Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago at the end of the Month, the departure is 1:45PM and arrival time in Chicago is at 9:00Am

Since lunch served till 3pm and breakfast starts at 6am, does that mean we can eat lunch dinner and breakfast without a charge for this trip? And yes we have 2 family rooms and 2 roomette booked.

This will be our first time taking the amtrak and am unfamiliar with the rules

Thanks

Eric

Hi,

I don't think you will get a lunch just after leaving NOL, I imagine the first meal will be Dinner, in the evening. All meals are included in the bedroom/roomette costs, so you will get Dinner and Breakfast at no cost.

Someone else may know different, but in my experience, trains starting out their journey around 1pm to 2pm don't serve a lunch... sorry!

Ed :cool:

Are you taking Amtrak back to NOL? If so, on that trip you will get an "abbreviated menu" dinner as you are leaving CHI, then breakfast and lunch the following day.

Oh no, may be I was not clear on my post.

the ride is from NOL to Chicago, I called Amtrak and they said lunch finishes at 3pm, last order by 2:30 pm, if that's true, we can do lunch right after we board at 1:45pm

can someone please confirm?

The City of New Orleans does not serve lunch departing New Orleans. (I've ridden many times).

If you are departing on a week day.. I highly recommend lunch at the "Side Car Cafe" which is an easy 2 block walk from the station. It's nothing fancy.. a really nice locally owned cafeteria with great southern food (menu changes daily type of place).

You will be served dinner that evening and then Breakfast in the morning. I think they serve breakfast until Kankakkee IL.. check with the dining car staff to make sure you don't miss breakfast.

Correct, no lunch served upon departing NOL. You do get dinner and breakfast included. Due to the early arrival into CHI, breakfast service concludes early. Ask your server at dinner what time breakfast ends.

Do I need to make reservation for those two meals ? There are 10 of us total

Do I need to make reservation for those two meals ? There are 10 of us total
The LSA will come to the sleepers and take reservations. If you or a member in your party lets them know there are 10 of you, they'll try to find a meal time with that block available. The booths seat four people, so two of you will be seated with another couple (or two singles).

Oops. Yes. Traveler makes a good point - breakfast is first come/first serve. Sorry I missed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, may be I was not clear on my post.

the ride is from NOL to Chicago, I called Amtrak and they said lunch finishes at 3pm, last order by 2:30 pm, if that's true, we can do lunch right after we board at 1:45pm

can someone please confirm?
I have a feeling they were looking at the southbound trip when they told you that.

Considering how often this question gets asked, especially about the Chicago pm departures, I would Amtrak could just state the info in timetables.

One more question, since the breakfast time is going ot be ealry with the estimated arrival in Chicago being at 9am, can I have the breakfast delivered to our room?

Thanks

One more question, since the breakfast time is going ot be ealry with the estimated arrival in Chicago being at 9am, can I have the breakfast delivered to our room?

Thanks
Yes, talk with your SCA In Advance and make Arrangements for this Service, it's part of their duties IF they aren't tied up with other Passengers who asked First! (Theres just one of him and up to 56 Passengers in a Full Sleeper!)

Again, this sounds like a first come first serve basis, hmm...... I really should not be expecting much from Amtrak, it's probably better off right?

No lunch at all out of New Orleans.

Dinner is by reservation and it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure that your SCA knows there are 10 of you as soon as you get on board.

You can always take a trip to the diner and talk to someone there too, there's usually someone in there getting everything ready.

The New Orleans crews are pretty nice and laid back, imo.

Breakfast is really busy and ends early - even the cafe car will close by 8am.

Get everyone up by 6 and get ready to get in there.

Honestly, I wouldn't ask the SCA to get breakfast for 10 people - there is way too much for him to do in the little bit of time there is in the morning.

He actually needs all of you out of those rooms for a while at some point because the linens need to be changed and the rooms need to be set back up into the daytime configuration long before the train gets to Chicago.

On my way back from my Nov. cruise, the SCA had to get the conductor to make a father and his 3 sons get up and out of the rooms so they could be turned.

Again, this sounds like a first come first serve basis, hmm...... I really should not be expecting much from Amtrak, it's probably better off right?
Yes it is first come, first served, but remember that he or she must also serve all the other passengers in the car AND make up all the rooms prior to arrival AND be available at every stop AND ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back