Asiana to fly A380 to LAX, will be 8th A380 operator at LAX!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
Looks like LAX is becoming quite a hub for A380 Superjumbos with Asiana announcing today they will launch their A380 service with flights from Seoul to LAX from end of July 2014.

Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Air France, Emirates, China Southern, Korean Air and British Airways already operate A380 to LAX, and Asiana will become 8th A380 operator there. The only airlines with A380 that don't send them to LAX are Lufthansa, Malaysian and Thai.

Article:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/asiana-to-begin-airbus-a380-flights-in-june

I am just praying they don't end up with something similar to this debacle at SFO with the giant A380-

130706190825-san-francisco-plane-crash-18b-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Was the reference to the SFO crash necessary? Obviously no one wants a repeat of that, but Asiana is far from the only airline on

that list to have had a fatal accident over the years.

Was the reference to the SFO crash necessary? Obviously no one wants a repeat of that, but Asiana is far from the only airline on

I'm surprised he doesn't post a picture of burning bodies every time he mentions some Indian railway. Oh, right...

Malaysian is in the process of pulling out of LAX (and the US). Thai is down to a measly 4x weekly service via Seoul.
I was surprised to hear Thai was still flying to LAX. I thought they had pulled out completely when they stopped the non-stop to BKK a few years back.

I'm surprised he doesn't post a picture of burning bodies every time he mentions some Indian railway. Oh, right...
If one wishes to bash India specifically, not to mention Air India's several run ins with misfortune. Look for the number of 747 fuselage losses for various reasons, some within their control and some not, and weep. ;)
I suppose in that list only Qantas and Emirates have a clean record so far. Of which Qantas is remarkable, and Emirates is relatively new.

Last edited by a moderator:

Completely agree. I thought that was completely unnecessary.

If one wishes to bash India specifically, not to mention Air India's several run ins with misfortune. Look for the number of 747 fuselage losses for various reasons, some within their control and some not, and weep. ;)
I suppose in that list only Qantas and Emirates have a clean record so far. Of which Qantas is remarkable, and Emirates is relatively new.
Qantas has had at least one fatal accident (during the propeller age) and suffered an uncontained engine failure on one of their A380s. If that failure had resulted in a major crash you can bet it would have turned their whole safety image on its head.

Qantas has had at least one fatal accident (during the propeller age) and suffered an uncontained engine failure on one of their A380s. If that failure had resulted in a major crash you can bet it would have turned their whole safety image on its head.
Qantas also had an issue where a 747 overran the runway at DMK which IIRC should have resulted in a hull loss but they decided to repair it to preserve their record.

Yep, that 380 incident came very very close to becoming a catastrophe.

Ok, ok, put away your pitchforks, I am sorry I brought up Asiana Flight 214 when it is not relevant to their LAX A380 service. Maybe it has got to do with me living around SFO and having seen in person the charred remains of that plane, ever since that day whenever I hear Asiana, that accident comes to mind and I don't feel comfortable flying with them although I know they are quite a good airline overall. Maybe in a few years I will forget all about it, but for now, that's what it is.

I thought Singapore Airlines had a fatality-free history too, but just read up on it and its not the case. They have had a 747 crash with fatalities.

I thought Singapore Airlines had a fatality-free history too, but just read up on it and its not the case. They have had a 747 crash with fatalities.
Yes SQ 006 at Chiang Kai Shek International 83 fatalities. An almost spanking new 747-400, only about 3 years old at the time of the crash trying to take off from a closed runway. There were CRM issues similar to those in the Asiana crash involved.

Back