discount promo codes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigval109

I'm looking for the promo code that gives you 50% off. I've heard talk but knowone has said what the code is. I'm planning a trip to reno just for the ride. I just love to ride the train. Can anyone help me out?

bigval109 said:
I'm looking for the promo code that gives you 50% off. I've heard talk but knowone has said what the code is. I'm planning a trip to reno just for the ride. I just love to ride the train. Can anyone help me out?
The only promotion code that I am aware of for 50% off is only for employees of IcelandAir. You cannot book by internet and you must pick up your tickets in person with IcelandAir ID. As far as I know, the best code available to the public is H570 for 25% off.

PRR 60 said:
bigval109 said:
The only promotion code that I am aware of for 50% off is only for employees of IcelandAir. You cannot book by internet and you must pick up your tickets in person with IcelandAir ID. As far as I know, the best code available to the public is H570 for 25% off.
I have tried putting that code in Amtrak's reservation system on the web and never have found a trip where it would work. Is it only for certain trains?

MrFSS said:
PRR 60 said:
bigval109 said:
I have tried putting that code in Amtrak's reservation system on the web and never have found a trip where it would work. Is it only for certain trains?
H570 can be used for any Amtrak service with the following restrictions:

You must use the full adult fare are the base fare. It will not stack with the AAA, NARP, or any other discount programs. So make sure you clear any discounts from your "Passenger" entry.

It will not work if you add any additional accommodation such as a sleeper or Acela First Class.

It also has some short holiday blackouts around Labor Day, Thanksgiving, etc.

However: there is no minimum advance purchase and the fare is refundable. I just tested it for an Acela trip tomorrow and a Coast Starlight trip on Tuesday and it worked fine.

all I'm getting is that it is an icelandair code but know one has said what it is. does anyone know what it is?

You must use the full adult fare are the base fare.  It will not stack with the AAA, NARP, or any other discount programs.  So make sure you clear any discounts from your "Passenger" entry.

It will not work if you add any additional accommodation such as a sleeper or Acela First Class.

However: there is no minimum advance purchase and the fare is refundable.  I just tested it for an Acela trip tomorrow and a Coast Starlight trip on Tuesday and it worked fine.
Ah - that's the problem Always try with sleeper accomidations.

bigval109 said:
all I'm getting is that it is an icelandair code but know one has said what it is. does anyone know what it is?
PRR60 said what it was. It is only for employees of IcelandAir. If you worked for them, then you would have the details of the promo.

PRR 60 said:
You must use the full adult fare are the base fare. It will not stack with the AAA, NARP, or any other discount programs. So make sure you clear any discounts from your "Passenger" entry.

However: there is no minimum advance purchase and the fare is refundable. I just tested it for an Acela trip tomorrow and a Coast Starlight trip on Tuesday and it worked fine.
Two slight corrections to the restrictions that PRR noted.

One, it is stackable with a Sr. Citizen discount, but no other discounts.

Second, you can book Acela First Class using the code, but it will not apply to the first class portion of the fare.

However as he noted, you cannot use the code if you want to book a sleeper. You can however upgrade onboard later, even if you have used the code. This of course assumes that a sleeper is still available.

You CAN use H570 when booking a Sleeper, however the discount only reduces the Rail fare.

wannacruise said:
You CAN use H570 when booking a Sleeper, however the discount only reduces the Rail fare.
I've never seen that code work in conjunction with a sleeper and many other's have reported the same thing. I just tested it again, less than a minute ago for the LSL, and got this error:

Problem With Promotion Code: The Promotion Code you provided is not available for the train, date or accommodation you selected, so we have provided a non-promotional fare. You may proceed with booking this fare, or you may consult your promotional materials and use the 'Modify Selection' button to select a valid train, date or accommodation. Then please resubmit.

AlanB said:
wannacruise said:
I've never seen that code work in conjunction with a sleeper and many other's have reported the same thing. I just tested it again, less than a minute ago for the LSL, and got this error:

Problem With Promotion Code: The Promotion Code you provided is not available for the train, date or accommodation you selected, so we have provided a non-promotional fare. You may proceed with booking this fare, or you may consult your promotional materials and use the 'Modify Selection' button to select a valid train, date or accommodation. Then please resubmit.
That's the error code I kept getting.

PRR 60 said:
bigval109 said:
i don't understand why know one will say what the 50% code is. I have tried the H570 code and it worked fine for me. Thanks

bigval109 said:
PRR 60 said:
bigval109 said:
i don't understand why know one will say what the 50% code is. I have tried the H570 code and it worked fine for me. Thanks
No one will say what the code is since you can't use the code, unless you work for Iceland Airlines. If you do work for them, then you can get the code from your personel office.

But there is no point in posting a code that 99.9% of our members can't use. It just confuses people and creates problems for our members.

If one uses a fare discount that they are not entitled to use, that is theft, pure and simple.

AlanB said:
bigval109 said:
PRR 60 said:
bigval109 said:
No one will say what the code is since you can't use the code, unless you work for Iceland Airlines. If you do work for them, then you can get the code from your personel office.

But there is no point in posting a code that 99.9% of our members can't use. It just confuses people and creates problems for our members.
Well I give up. The iceland air code would have been nice for my long train ride. But the 25% off code will work just fine for me. I really wanted a sleeper for the ride home. Thanks anyway.

Bigval109 said:
AlanB said:
bigval109 said:
PRR 60 said:
bigval109 said:

Well I give up. The iceland air code would have been nice for my long train ride. But the 25% off code will work just fine for me. I really wanted a sleeper for the ride home. Thanks anyway.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't know how to be more clear about this.

Even if I or someone else gave you the code, you can not use it. You must work for Iceland Airlines and have photo ID from Iceland Air in order to pick up the tickets. You cannot have the tickets mailed to you or use a Quiktrak machine to get the tickets.

So no Iceland Airlines ID at the ticket window, then no tickets. So your trip would be over before it ever started.

On the off chance that you do work for Iceland Air and have their photo ID, then ask your personel office for the code. Otherwise please stop asking for a code that you cannot use even if we gave it to you.

Let me try this another way.

Do you work for Iceland Air?

If you do, do you have a photo ID card issued by Iceland Air?

If you cannot answer yes to both of those questions, then you will not be able to use the discount code. We are not trying to be mean, we are not trying to prevent you from getting a discount, we are not trying to evaluate the moral implications of whether someone should use a discount code that they aren't entitled to use.

The bottom line is that with this code, unlike most codes that Amtrak gives out, you must show up in person at a manned ticket window with the photo ID from Iceland Air in order to pickup any tickets booked using the code. If you don't have the proper ID, they will cancel the reservation and you won't be able to board the train. There is no way to circumvent the requirement of a photo ID issued by Iceland Air in order to collect the tickets booked with the code.

So, here is the real question. Does the Amtrak - Icelandair (FI) codeshare arrangement still exist? Back in May, 2001 Amtrak and Icelandair introduced a booking arrangement that permitted travellers to use the Amtrak NEC to access FI at BWI airport using common ticketing. That partnership was the basis of the Amtrak discount code for FI employees. Amtrak employees reportedly were offered a discount on FI as well.

This codeshare was never heavily marketed. Today I can find no evidence on either the FI or Amtrak websites that it still exists. I am curious if anyone knows.

Bigval109 said:
The original conversation on this useless code is over on FlyerTalk. Last I checked, the code was still posted there; of course, unless you have that Iceland Air ID, it won't do you a lot of good.

If you cannot answer yes to both of those questions, then you will not be able to use the discount code. We are not trying to be mean, we are not trying to prevent you from getting a discount, we are not trying to evaluate the moral implications of whether someone should use a discount code that they aren't entitled to use.

The bottom line is that with this code, unlike most codes that Amtrak gives out, you must show up in person at a manned ticket window with the photo ID from Iceland Air in order to pickup any tickets booked using the code. If you don't have the proper ID, they will cancel the reservation and you won't be able to board the train. There is no way to circumvent the requirement of a photo ID issued by Iceland Air in order to collect the tickets booked with the code.

maybe, maybe not I think I found something

I promise you the agent will not ticket that code.

It is written specifically in the reservations system to require the Icelandair employee ID number to be entered into a remark in the PNR. So unless you are able to bribe a ticket agent (whose log sine would be in the history for that reservation, able to be audited), I'm skeptical of your luck here. :lol:

I don't really know why it's called a "log sine" (I'm sure some Guest poster can fill in the history here :lol: )...

thank you for that fine lecture twice. Oh by the way you can book it online I just did and yess I found the code as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back